BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A poor NBA debut doesn't mean Daniel Orton made a bad choice

3 posters

Go down

A poor NBA debut doesn't mean Daniel Orton made a bad choice Empty A poor NBA debut doesn't mean Daniel Orton made a bad choice

Post  UK Maine-Iac Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:54 pm

By Jeff Eisenberg

You'll undoubtedly hear analysts say that former Kentucky big man Daniel Orton's dreadful summer league debut on Monday is proof that he should have waited another year or two before turning pro.

In reality, the Orlando rookie's lackluster performance only validates his decision to leave school.

Yes, Orton picked up three offensive fouls in four minutes and went 1-for-8 from the field. Yes, he looked completely lost on help defense. Yes, he got ejected in the second half for losing his composure and shoving Indiana's Josh McRoberts after tussling for a rebound underneath the basket (see the above video).

But it's a whole lot better for Orton that NBA scouts are seeing those weaknesses up close for the first time now rather than before they guaranteed him a lucrative contract.

Orton was a first-round pick this season because scouts were tantalized enough by his potential to overlook that he averaged 3.4 points and 3.3 boards in limited minutes as a freshman. Had he returned to school but failed to perform up to expectations as the focal point of Kentucky's interior attack next season, it might have damaged his stock enough to send him tumbling out of the first round.

To his credit, Orton acknowledged immediately that he had a "terrible day" on Monday.

"Gonna get myself together and come back with a focus tomorrow. Gotta slow down, gotta gather myself," he tweeted. "Still can't believe I got ejected for fighting ha but it wasn't a good day at all for me."

In a post-game interview with the Orlando Sentinel, Orton attributed some of his struggles to his conditioning not being up to par. Still he doesn't think it will take him as long to make an impact in the NBA as some cynics think.

"A lot of people say I need time to develop, and I'm not going to lie about that, I do need time to develop," Orton said. "But I don't think it's going to take as much time as most people think it will. I hope not, to tell you the truth. I put in a lot of hard work and a lot of time. Hopefully I can have a quicker turnaround than most people think."
UK Maine-Iac
UK Maine-Iac

Favorite College team: : Who do you think?
Favorite NFL team: : Saints

Back to top Go down

A poor NBA debut doesn't mean Daniel Orton made a bad choice Empty Re: A poor NBA debut doesn't mean Daniel Orton made a bad choice

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:39 pm

Orton should have stayed at UK and improved, would have been a lot easier.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

A poor NBA debut doesn't mean Daniel Orton made a bad choice Empty Re: A poor NBA debut doesn't mean Daniel Orton made a bad choice

Post  MULECHOPS Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:30 pm

Classy move Ort getting thrown out of a summer league game.
MULECHOPS
MULECHOPS

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : Vikings

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down