BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK's Patrick Patterson not set on entering NBA draft

+2
ihateyewavel
BestdamnUKfanperiod
6 posters

Go down

UK's Patrick Patterson not set on entering NBA draft Empty UK's Patrick Patterson not set on entering NBA draft

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:07 pm

UK's Patrick Patterson not set on entering NBA draft
Cats' junior still mulling options
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100120/SPORTS03/1200386/UK+s+Patterson+hasn+t+ruled+out+returning+for+senior+year

LEXINGTON, Ky. — At least once a day — in a class, on a bus, warming up for a game — Patrick Patterson ponders the possibility that his University of Kentucky career is nearing its end.

Quantcast

But early entry to the NBA draft remains only a possibility, the UK junior said on Wednesday. It's not a certainty.

“That's always in my mind, whatever I'm doing, just wanting to work hard to make this special in case it is my last semester,” Patterson told The Courier-Journal on Wednesday. “…When I was at Florida playing in the arena there, I said ‘This could possibly be my last time playing here.'”

Since Patterson withdrew from last summer's NBA draft, it's been assumed he wouldn't return for his senior year. But the 6-foot-9 forward gave several reasons on Wednesday why he might.

“If I come back for my senior year, I know some of my teammates are going to be back, and we'll still have a good team, a nationally ranked team,” Patterson said. “Plus, if I come back, I might have a chance to break Dan Issel's (career) scoring record and be No.1. That's always in the back of my mind.”

Patterson has 1,314 career points, which places him 29th on UK's all-time scoring list. He would need 825 more points to break Issel's career record.

If Patterson maintained his career scoring average of 17 points per game, he would need to play 49 more games to break Issel's record.

UK (18-0, 3-0 Southeastern Conference) could play as many as 22 more games this season, if it were to reach the finals of the SEC and NCAA tournaments.

But while Patterson said he's still considering a return, there's reason to believe he'll make the jump to the NBA after the season.

Patterson is averaging 16.3 points and 7.9 rebounds per game this season, and he's worked to make himself a more viable NBA candidate. He's made 10of24 three-point attempts (he was a combined 0for4 his first two seasons) and has improved his ballhandling skills.

Chad Ford, NBA draft analyst at ESPN.com, ranks Patterson as the No.9 prospect in the 2010 draft — teammate John Wall is No.1 — and Patterson expects to complete a degree in communications this spring.

If Patterson were to return to school, he likely would be giving up considerable money. Last year's No.9 pick, DeMar DeRozan of the Toronto Raptors, signed a three-year contract worth more than $7.3million, according to CNBC.com.

“I love college,” Patterson said. “I could come back and get my master's. I always think about that.”
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

UK's Patrick Patterson not set on entering NBA draft Empty Re: UK's Patrick Patterson not set on entering NBA draft

Post  ihateyewavel Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:49 pm

“I love college, ay!” Patterson said "And I love drinking, ay!I love women, ay!Man, I love college"
ihateyewavel
ihateyewavel

Favorite College team: : Dynasty
Favorite NFL team: : Miami Dolphins

Back to top Go down

UK's Patrick Patterson not set on entering NBA draft Empty Re: UK's Patrick Patterson not set on entering NBA draft

Post  cryptkeeper Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:53 am

and lets not forget, He did grow up a Wildcat fan!!! SO there is a decent chance of a return.
cryptkeeper
cryptkeeper

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : COLTS-until manning leaves

Back to top Go down

Post  UK Maine-Iac Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:50 pm

If he stays, then wow. He'll be more beloved than Chuck Hayes, if he already isn't.
UK Maine-Iac
UK Maine-Iac

Favorite College team: : Who do you think?
Favorite NFL team: : Saints

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthernIndianaCatsFan Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:39 pm

i just don't see it happening. We may end up losing 4.
SouthernIndianaCatsFan
SouthernIndianaCatsFan

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : Da Colts

Back to top Go down

Post  bcking00 Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:03 am

I think Pat needs to go! He earned a college degree from a great university. He can always work on his master's during the off season. School is there to prepare you to survive and thrive in the world we live. Shaq is a great example. He left early, came back to earn a degree, and went on to earn a MBA (even though it was from Phoenix University). Take the money.

BK
bcking00
bcking00

Favorite NFL team: : Cincinnati Bengals

Back to top Go down

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:33 am

I'll be good with whatever he chooses to do, He has been on of the greatest Cats ever.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down