BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HERE WE GO: ORTON WILL TEST NBA WATERS

4 posters

Go down

HERE WE GO:  ORTON WILL TEST NBA WATERS Empty HERE WE GO: ORTON WILL TEST NBA WATERS

Post  Carolina Kat Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:58 am

Courtside with the Kentucky Wildcats
By Jerry Tipton - Lexington Herald

Father says Orton will test NBA waters

March 31st, 2010

Kentucky reserve big man Daniel Orton will enter the NBA Draft, his father Larry said on Wednesday. His son will not hire an agent so he can retain the option of returning to UK next season, the elder Orton said.

If Orton enters the draft, he would join the expected group of players leaving UK. Others expected to enter include fellow freshmen John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins, plus junior forward Patrick Patterson.

When UK played in the NCAA Tournament East Region at Syracuse, N.Y., freshman guard Eric Bledsoe also expressed an interest in entering the draft.
According to NCAA rules, underclassmen have until May 8 to withdraw from the NBA Draft and retain their college eligibility.

After the comments by Larry Orton became public knowledge, UKMediaNews sent a text message quoting Daniel Orton as saying a final decision about entering the draft had not been made.

““I have not declared for the NBA draft,” Daniel Orton was quoted as saying. “I’m currently weighing my options and will make a decision prior to the deadline.”

The possibility of returning to Kentucky to be the main man around the basket would not be a prime factor in his son’s thinking, Larry Orton said.

“I don’t see that as a big deal,” the elder Orton said.

Before UK played against Cornell in the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16, Daniel Orton spoke candidly about his interest in entering this year’s NBA Draft.
“You know, if I’m a lottery pick, it’s something I have to think about,” he said. “That’s for sure.”

A recent mock draft by the Los Angeles Times projected five UK players among the top 13 picks. The Times had John Wall being the first player taken, then DeMarcus Cousins at No. 8, Patrick Patterson at No. 10, Orton at No. 12 and Eric Bledsoe at No. 13.

Orton made it sound that if he believes he’ll be taken with one of the first 13 picks, the so-called lottery section of the first round, the financial implications would be impossible to ignore.

“More than anything, it’s money,” he said. “In this world, there’s only one color that matters, and that’s green.

“If that’s an option, then that’s real important. I’ve got to (explore) that option.”

When asked if being projected as a lottery pick would make the critical difference in his decision to stay in college or turn pro, Orton said, “Probably so. More than anything, I know I can stay another year and move up the draft board.”

Because he plays behind Cousins and Patterson, Orton did not play a lot. He did not play even 20 minutes in a game since Kentucky faced Cleveland State in Cancun. He did not score more than eight points in the last 24 games. In that span, he grabbed more than five rebounds in a game once (nine at Florida).

Orton suggested Kentucky’s success this season elevated his draft profile.
“The position the team is in,” Orton said. “. . . I do believe I’ve started playing real well. But more so than anything, the position the team is in.”

Last edited by Carolina Kat on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down

HERE WE GO:  ORTON WILL TEST NBA WATERS Empty Re: HERE WE GO: ORTON WILL TEST NBA WATERS

Post  OwensboroCatFan Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:09 am

Seriously? He needs work, lots of it. He averages 1 goal tend and 1 technical per game. I was not impressed with his play. Rolling Eyes

OwensboroCatFan

Favorite College team: : Kentucky
Favorite NFL team: : Green Bay Packers

Back to top Go down

HERE WE GO:  ORTON WILL TEST NBA WATERS Empty Re: HERE WE GO: ORTON WILL TEST NBA WATERS

Post  cryptkeeper Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:32 am

It would be better for him to stay, but I don't think he will no matter where he is projected. If he was smart he would come back and dominate the paint next year.

I think his injury last year has him skidish about waiting
cryptkeeper
cryptkeeper

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : COLTS-until manning leaves

Back to top Go down

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:48 am

I actually think he would learn very quick, except for fouling all the time, But hell all he has to do is rebound most games.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down