BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

: Chemistry no problem for Wildcats

Go down

: Chemistry no problem for Wildcats Empty : Chemistry no problem for Wildcats

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:18 pm

UK Notebook: Chemistry no problem for Wildcats

By LARRY VAUGHT
larry@amnews.com
February 23, 2010

LEXINGTON — Even though Kentucky has a new coach and six new players on the roster this year, team chemistry has not been an issue for one major reason.

“Because they like each other. They respect each other,” said Kentucky coach John Calipari. The veterans respect the talent of the young players. The young kids respect the talent of the veterans. They have all accepted roles. But the biggest thing is they all like each other.”

Calipari said some of that developed naturally and some had to be cultivated by him and his staff, especially early in the season.

“Some of it has to be natural. You have guys that are respectful type of people and like each other, and some is doing things to get them to understand how important it is for them to get along,” the Kentucky coach said.

“Doing things at the house, or watching movies in Wildcat Lodge. The more you are together, the more we are going to respect each other.”

He hopes that good chemistry can help his second-ranked Wildcats this week when they host South Carolina, the only team to beat them this season, on Thursday and play at Tennessee Saturday.

Calipari remembers how close the Tennessee game in Rupp Arena was before the Cats pulled away and how the Vols surprised his team with a 3-2 zone.

'Keep trying to get better'

“Going up there I imagine there will probably be a huge crowd and a crazy game. I think both games will be hard. We just keep trying to get better,” Calipari said Monday on the Southeastern Conference coaches teleconference.

One thing the coach wants to see is players shooting without hesitation. He felt some players were reluctant to take shots in last week’s wins at Mississippi State and Vanderbilt.

“It didn’t happen 20 times (at Vanderbilt). On those, they lead to bad shots or turnovers,” he said. “We are one of best offensive rebounding teams in the country. Only three things can happen if you shoot. You make, and I like that. You miss and we rebound and make and I like that. You miss and they rebound, I don’t like bit but I am okay because we get two out of three.

“We have guys not making shots and won’t shoot, so they can not be in the game. They say, ‘What if I am 0-for-5? I am embarrassed.’ Get in the gym and spend more time. Be in there at 11 o’clock at night. It doesn’t happen in two days.”

Calipari says his team is still among the top 3-point shooting teams in the nation despite going for 4-for-24 from 3-point range at Mississippi State and 3-for-16 against Vanderbilt.

Better shooters than get credit for

“There are still times we do not shoot well because there are times we are tentative,“ Calipari said. “We are better (shooters) than everybody gives us credit. That’s why (Vanderbilt coach) Kevin (Stallings) went man to man. He did not want to give us open 3’s.

“All this stuff about you have got to play us zone, but the two teams that beat us and played us tough played man to man in Vanderbilt and South Carolina. There is not one way to play us. You have to go into game and figure it out.”

Cousins fan: LSU coach Trent Johnson is a fan of Kentucky freshman center DeMarcus Cousins.

“He has a great feel for the game. He has great basketball instincts,” Johnson said. “John (Calipari) has done an exceptional job getting them to buy in and play hard, which is easier said than done. Just watching clips I have seen and what I know from high school, he is playing so much harder. He does a good job defensively, too. He is a better basketball player his freshman year beyond his age.”

Cousins was again named Southeastern Conference Freshman of the Week Monday after averaging 19 points and 9.5 rebounds per game in road wins over Vanderbilt and Mississippi State. He had 19 points and 14 rebounds at Mississippi State and 19 points, five rebounds and three steals against Vanderbilt.

He has scored in double figures in 18 of his last 19 games. He’s averaging 16.1 points, 10.1 rebounds and 1.7 blocked shots per game.

http://www.amnews.com/stories/2010/02/23/uks.938463.sto
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down