BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wildcats' MVP

+2
96 G.O.A.T.
Carolina Kat
6 posters

Go down

Who Would You Vote As Wildcats' MVP So Far?

Wildcats' MVP I_vote_lcap0%Wildcats' MVP I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Wildcats' MVP I_vote_lcap53%Wildcats' MVP I_vote_rcap 53% 
[ 8 ]
Wildcats' MVP I_vote_lcap7%Wildcats' MVP I_vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
Wildcats' MVP I_vote_lcap7%Wildcats' MVP I_vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
Wildcats' MVP I_vote_lcap20%Wildcats' MVP I_vote_rcap 20% 
[ 3 ]
Wildcats' MVP I_vote_lcap13%Wildcats' MVP I_vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 15

Wildcats' MVP Empty Wildcats' MVP

Post  Carolina Kat Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:29 pm

Vaught's Views: Who is the Wildcats' MVP?

By LARRY VAUGHT
larry@amnews.com

February 11, 2010

The speculation continues that Kentucky freshman John Wall will be the first pick in this summer’s NBA draft and freshman teammate DeMarcus Cousins continues to climb the draft list as well every time he puts up another double-double.

Then there is junior Patrick Patterson, a preseason All-American who has become a more versatile player while sacrificing individual numbers to be part of a better team.

But who is Kentucky’s most valuable player?

It’s actually easy to make a case for any of the three.

Wall.

He’s been featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated and Sporting News. He’s hit game-winning shots. He leads the team in scoring (16.7 points per game), assists (151), steals (44) and minutes per game (33.7). He also leads the team in turnovers (94).

“A lot of the things he does — speed, the length he has — he came here with that. Our style of play helps prepare guys like him and you start seeing a different, better player,” said UK coach John Calipari. “He came here the fifth or sixth rated high school player. That does not mean he wasn’t the best, but people did not see him that way. Now there’s no question. Certain things in this style of play and system bring out the best in a guy like him. He would be the first to tell you he has been challenged on a level like he has never been before, and he has responded.”

Tom Leach, the play-by-play voice of the UK Radio Network, says picking the MVP is a close call, but his vote would go to Wall.

“I'm giving a slight nod to Wall because he was so instrumental in victories earlier this season when this team was still doing a lot of learning. Being able to dodge two or three losses early is why Kentucky is sitting in such a good spot now as we look toward March Madness,” Leach said.

Cousins.

He’s gone from a controversial, temperamental player to a consistent, dominating inside force.

He had 16 points and 13 rebounds against Alabama on Tuesday for his seventh straight double-double and 15th double-double of the season. He’s brought a nastiness to the team that has been missing since Jamal Magloire left after helping UK win the 1998 national title.

He averages 16.4 points and a team-high 10.1 rebounds per game. He leads the team in blocked shots with 44 and is shooting 54.7 percent from the field. He’s also averaging seven free throw attempts per game.

That’s why Dick Gabriel, host of a nightly sports talk show on WLAP (630 AM), likes Cousins for his MVP.

“Cousins usually leads the team in points and rebounds, and as gifted as Wall is with the ball in his hands, Cousins forces opposing defenses to account for him at all times. And that ain't easy,” Gabriel said.

Larry Glover, who hosts a nightly syndicated talk show that originates on WVLK (590 AM), is a Cousins backer, too.

“I've been saying for weeks that he is Kentucky's best player. Without him, where would the points come from and one of Kentucky's biggest advantages over their opponent is rebound margin and he is the one largely responsible for that,” Glover said.

“His defense is getting better by the game and his effort has improved dramatically. The only negative is his supposed bad attitude and temperament, which I think the media has largely overblown. Is he a little ornery? Yes, but every great team has one player with a little mean streak in him.”

South Carolina coach Darrin Horn says Cousins has to be “up there with the top players” in the SEC.

“I thought he did as good a job and was as dominant a big man as I have seen in 15 years (when he played against South Carolina),” Horn said. “It’s hard to argue about the production he is putting forth, and he is helping his team win.”

Patterson.

Most players would be happy to be averaging 14.9 points and 7.3 rebounds per game and ranking among the nation’s top field goal shooters at 58.6 percent. He also has 25 blocked shots.

However, Patterson was expected to have even bigger numbers this year when he opted to come back to UK rather than go to the NBA. Instead, he has sacrificed numbers to complement Wall and Cousins while becoming a 3-point threat, better ballhandler and more proficient perimeter defender — all things that have helped his draft stock rise.

“He is one of the hardest working players I ever played against. Whether it is going to the offensive glass or just getting position, he goes hard. He is just one of those guys you would love to play with and hate to play against,” Florida’s Chandler Parsons said. “I don’t think he ever stops working. We will send double teams at him. We will front him, but he just keeps working. He is really a monster.”

Vanderbilt’s Jeremaine Beal says it is even fun to compete against Patterson because of the way he plays.

“Patterson is a good guy. He’s big and strong. He’s just big and strong, but he’s not mean or dirty. He looks like a pro and plays like one,” Beal said.

Georgia senior Albert Jackson, a Kentucky native, is a Patterson fan, too.

“You can’t say enough about how hard he plays and how tough he is on the court. He might not be the best in the SEC, but he’s sure one of the best,” Jackson said.

So who is it? Wall, Patterson or Cousins?

Wall has been the most dynamic. Cousins has been the most dominant.

However, my vote still goes to Patterson. He’s sacrificed more than any player on the team this year, yet he’s not complained. He’s clearly the team leader — ask any player — and is a huge reason UK’s team chemistry has been magnificent considering the Cats have a new coach and six new players.

Wall and Cousins are both having sensational seasons. But from all I’ve seen, the key player remains Patterson because of his attitude, versatility and leadership.

Last edited by Carolina Kat on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:45 pm; edited 5 times in total

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down

Wildcats' MVP Empty Re: Wildcats' MVP

Post  96 G.O.A.T. Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:02 pm

I'd say Wall and Cousins should get co-MVP. They've stepped up in games where nobody else showed up to play.

How many games has the ball been given to Cousins down low and he just takes over? How many times has Wall dominated the late minutes of the game? Without either of those two in our lineup, we're definitely not ranked #2.

96 G.O.A.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  cryptkeeper Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:10 pm

Glad you had Liggins as a choice. This kid has proven a lot of people wrong. I always liked this kid, but I did have some doubts towards the end of last season.

Liggins is definately earned the MR. HUSTLE award!!!
cryptkeeper
cryptkeeper

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : COLTS-until manning leaves

Back to top Go down

Post  Shannon Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:02 pm

cryptkeeper wrote:Glad you had Liggins as a choice. This kid has proven a lot of people wrong. I always liked this kid, but I did have some doubts towards the end of last season.

Liggins is definately earned the MR. HUSTLE award!!!

Dont forget about the most improved jumpshot award Very Happy
Shannon
Shannon

Favorite College team: : Kentucky of course
Favorite NFL team: : Colts!!

Back to top Go down

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:04 pm

I went with Cousins, he has been kicking some butt.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthernIndianaCatsFan Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:06 pm

I just don't see it not being Wall or Cousins. Though if it wasn't for Wall, I don't think Cousins would be doing as well.
SouthernIndianaCatsFan
SouthernIndianaCatsFan

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : Da Colts

Back to top Go down

Post  Shannon Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:09 pm

I voted for cousins as well. The guy can flat out ball, he made the guy from Vandy look like a little kid
Shannon
Shannon

Favorite College team: : Kentucky of course
Favorite NFL team: : Colts!!

Back to top Go down

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:46 pm

SouthernIndianaCatsFan wrote:I just don't see it not being Wall or Cousins. Though if it wasn't for Wall, I don't think Cousins would be doing as well.

True, but if it wasn't for Cousins getting rebounds Wall might not being as good. lol
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down