BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DeMarcus Cousins leads Kentucky past Vanderbilt with LeBron James in crowd

Go down

DeMarcus Cousins leads Kentucky past Vanderbilt with LeBron James in crowd Empty DeMarcus Cousins leads Kentucky past Vanderbilt with LeBron James in crowd

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:50 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/01/31/2010-01-31_cousins_is_king_in_front_of_james.html

LEXINGTON, Ky. - Kentucky's enormous freshman center DeMarcus Cousins is becoming a force in the Southeastern Conference.

He should be the conference Freshman of the Week for a third straight time after powering his way to 21 points and 10 rebounds in just 24 minutes as the top-ranked Wildcats (20-1, 5-1) rebounded from a loss at South Carolina by rolling past No.21 Vanderbilt, 85-72, Saturday.

The foul-infested showdown before a sellout crowd at Rupp Arena included John Calipari's close friend LeBron James sitting courtside.

Cousins, 6-11 and 270 pounds, was impressive as he taught a lesson to the Vanderbilt players who were trash talking before the game to pump up their seven-foot Australian center, A.J. Ogilvy, and tear down Cousins.

"They were saying I never played against a real big man, that he was the best big man in our conference, not even close," Cousins said. "That kind of made me mad."

Cousins scored 13 points in just eight minutes in the first half to set the tone as the Wildcats raced to a 49-34 lead. Ogilvy did not score a field goal in the first half and did not crack the stat column until he made a pair of free throws with 3:42 to go.

"DeMarcus is a beast," Calipari said. "He leads the nation in points per minute. If he could stay out of foul trouble, he'd be averaging 40 points and 23 rebounds a game."

Kentucky had five players score in double figures and outrebounded Vanderbilt (16-4, 5-1) 41-24, holding the Commodores, who had won 11 straight games, to just three offensive boards. Cousins was unstoppable in the paint, getting to the line 13 times.

"Nobody jumps out at me as somebody Cousins would compare to," Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stallings said. "But a lot has been made about John Wall, and deservedly so, but Cousins, even though at a different position, is just as much of a factor right now for their team."

Cousins has the potential to be a younger version of Shaquille O'Neal, when- and if - he grows up. Right now, he still makes typical freshman mistakes, testing Calipari's patience on a regular basis. Cousins spiced his latest effort by running his mouth at an official after he was called for goaltending with 9:06 left in the game.

"I said, 'Oh my God. What the ...' and then stopped," Cousins acknowledged. "I didn't complete the word, but he got me."

Cousins has been on fire the past three games, compiling 16 points and 14 rebounds in a blowout win over Arkansas last Saturday and overwhelming South Carolina for 27 points, 12 rebounds and three blocked shots.

He has also been a lightning rod for controversy ever since the Jan. 2 Louisville game, when he narrowly missed being ejected 45 seconds into the game after appearing to take a swipe at the Cardinals' Jared Swopshire.

The night of the South Carolina game, an anchor for the CBS affiliate in Columbia reported he saw Cousins throw two punches while he was surrounded after the game.

"There was a lot of pushing and shoving," Cousins said. "I never threw a punch."

Calipari has been painting Cousins as a victim.

"He got hit in the head again today and he did not respond to it," Calipari said. "The official came over and said, 'I should have called it.' Thank you."

"I got popped a couple times," Cousins said. "I get fouled a lot. I'm used to it now, 20 games in. I feel like a rugby player. No equipment. Cal told us they had a player off the bench to come in and hit me. That's exactly what he did."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/01/31/2010-01-31_cousins_is_king_in_front_of_james.html#ixzz0eFyUaUhy
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down