BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NY Times: Kantner Received $100,000 From Team

+6
woodywoodwick
SouthernIndianaCatsFan
BestdamnUKfanperiod
Californication
jagator
Carolina Kat
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

NY Times: Kantner Received $100,000 From Team Empty NY Times: Kantner Received $100,000 From Team

Post  Carolina Kat Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:26 am

September 7, 2010

Turkish Team Says It Paid a Top Kentucky Recruit

By PETE THAMEL, NY Times

ISTANBUL — The best recruit in Kentucky’s top-ranked recruiting class, the Turkish center Enes Kanter, received more than $100,000 in cash and benefits over three years from the professional team he played for here, according to the team’s general manager.

In an interview in his office here this week, the general manager of Fenerbahce Ulker, Nedim Karakas, said the club had given banking and housing records to the
N.C.A.A. that show Kanter received benefits that could jeopardize his amateur status for college basketball.

“I am sorry for telling this for Enes, but we cannot lie if someone asks the whole story, we cannot hide,” Karakas said.

Karakas said that Fenerbahce provided housing to Kanter and his family for more than three years, provided them with food and pocket money and paid Kanter a salary of more than $6,500 a month during his final season.

Karakas and Fenerbahce’s basketball chief executive, Aydin Ors, both said they were unhappy with the way Kanter left the club because they had invested heavily in his development.

Kanter, an 18-year-old who is 6-foot-11 and 272 pounds, is considered by some as the
best big man in the world for his age.

Fenerbahce stands to benefit if Kanter is declared ineligible to play college basketball since the team would be due a transfer fee if he plays in Europe next season, but Karakas said turning in the documents to the N.C.A.A. eligibility center was a matter of telling the truth.

“This is real, and the N.C.A.A.’s main goal is to protect the amateur side of sports,” Karakas said.

Max Ergul, who has acted as an adviser to Kanter, said Kanter’s experience at Fenerbahce was similar to a player attending prep school in the United States.

“They paid the necessary expenses, like any other kid who goes to prep school and gets the $30- or $40,000 scholarship,” Ergul said. “I think that’s the truth.”

If he received the amount of money that Karakas says he did, it would cast serious doubt on his eligibility for the Wildcats. The N.C.A.A., which does not comment on specific cases, is reviewing Kanter’s amateur status. He was not cleared by the N.C.A.A. to play for Kentucky on a preseason team trip to Canada in August.

Kanter’s case is complicated because he did not sign a contract with the club.

Kentucky Coach
John Calipari did not return a call to his cellphone seeking comment, but he told The Sporting News in April that Kanter didn’t receive any money. Kanter couldn’t be reached for comment. His father, Mehmet, a prominent professor in Turkey, did not return e-mail requests.

“There was no money, from what we’re seeing, what the kid is saying and the family, and what Nike is saying,”
Calipari told The Sporting News. “There’s a lot of misinformation out there. You’ve got people talking about it that don’t know, just heard a rumor.”

Karakas said the club provided Kanter and his family with between $100,000 and $150,000 starting when Kanter was 14 and he and his family moved from the Turkish capital of Ankara to Istanbul.

While some young prospects remain eligible if they receive only room and board, Karakas said Kanter’s family received more because he was an elite prospect.

“For Enes, he was a different guy from all the players because if you have a good player and he’s coming with his family we are renting them a house and giving him pocket money,” he said, putting that amount at between $20,000 and $25,000 a year.

Perhaps most important in the eyes of the N.C.A.A. is that during Kanter’s final season with Fenerbahce he played in at least nine games with the senior club and drew a salary on par with those players. Karakas said that meant an initial payment of $19,800 and monthly payments of $6,500 during Kanter’s final season with the team.

Karakas declined to show a reporter records of the payments. But he said Fenerbahce’s lawyers have sent housing records and bank records to the N.C.A.A. showing that the Kanters deposited checks from the club at a Turkish bank known as Türkiye Finans Kat{inodot}l{inodot}m Bankasi.

Karakas said the total amount paid to Kanter and his family is difficult to calculate, but he said all relevant documents have been forwarded to the N.C.A.A.

“The N.C.A.A. asked officially what we paid,” he said. “We took from the bank what we paid. Normally, we send all the documents that we have. They asked for more things. They asked for the rent, what we paid.”

Kanter arrived in the United States nearly a year ago with the intent to attend high school. He first started working out with the noted basketball workout guru Tim Grover in Chicago. While there, a flattering article about him
by Scout.com created a sensation in recruiting circles because it said he turned down “millions” in Europe to play college basketball in the United States.

From Chicago, Kanter navigated an awkward path through the prep school basketball network. He first wanted to attend Oak Hill Academy, the Virginia prep school that has produced hundreds of Division I scholarship players and stars like
Carmelo Anthony. But Oak Hill Coach Steve Smith declined to accept Kanter because of his professional background.

Kanter then spent time at both Findlay Prep in Nevada and Mountain State in West Virginia. He left both of those schools because Oak Hill’s Smith refused to play them if Kanter was on their teams.

After leaving Mountain State in early October, Kanter ended up at Stoneridge Prep in Southern California.

As he moved around the United States, Kanter was being advised by Ergul, a Turkish basketball middleman who is described in contrasts.

Karakas identified him as an agent and blamed him for Kanter’s leaving Fenerbahce. A
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article described Ergul in 2007 as the agent for Bucks forward Ersan Ilyasova.

Ergul said that the article was wrong and that he merely served as a translator for Ilyasova, who is from Turkey.

Ergul strongly denied being an agent. “I’d like to see one piece of paperwork that I signed as an agent or even applied for as an agent,” he said. “Knowing people shouldn’t be a crime. There’s so much he said, she said in this business.”

For many college coaches recruiting Kanter, Ergul was the point person in the recruitment.

The former Mountain State coach Rodney Crawford, now an assistant at Duquesne, said Ergul acted as an adviser for Kanter.

“I don’t feel comfortable talking much about him,” Crawford said of Ergul. “I don’t want to be talking about it. He’s a real secretive guy. I don’t feel comfortable talking much about him.”

When asked about Ergul’s role in Kanter’s life, he said: “He’s his adviser. That would be a good way to put it.” He added: “You know, that’s another thing I can’t really speak on. I just took a coaching job at Duquesne; you know how the game is, I can’t afford to say anything.”

Kanter was expected to play one season at Kentucky and then become a high choice in the 2011
N.B.A. draft.

Here in Istanbul, at Fenerbahce’s offices, they are dismayed at how Kanter handled the whole situation. Karakas said the club spent so much time developing him “before he became the well-known Enes Kanter” and is angry that he was taken away on the advice of an agent.

Ergul said Kanter should be commended for attending school instead of making money playing professionally.

Karakas said he is skeptical of Kanter’s intentions.

“I don’t believe that Enes will be a very good student at school in the States,” he said. “He won’t be a hard worker. I know. I know his fundamentals for school. We know the education that he had before and what he did here in Turkey.

“But he’s a very hot prospect for basketball.”

Jack Styczynski contributed research from New York.

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down

NY Times: Kantner Received $100,000 From Team Empty Re: NY Times: Kantner Received $100,000 From Team

Post  jagator Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:35 am

That was a short stay. Later Enes
jagator
jagator

Favorite College team: : Florida
Favorite NFL team: : Jacksonville

Back to top Go down

NY Times: Kantner Received $100,000 From Team Empty Re: NY Times: Kantner Received $100,000 From Team

Post  Californication Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:56 am

Turkey is doing everything they can to spoil his NCAA career, in hopes he will play another year for them. They will fail. He will play at UK this season. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Californication
Californication

Favorite College team: : duh
Favorite NFL team: : cowboys!!

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:49 am

Kinda hard to argue with checks that have his signature on them. That and the fact that Oak Hill wouldn't touch him, doesn't sound too good. If all these football players are being held out because they attended a party in South Beach, I don't think you will see Enes on the court. This is not good.
jagator
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:58 am

Gotta show the checks first or some kind of documents, Turkey is just trying to stop U.S.A from recruiting over there.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:33 am

ESPN is saying that they have them and the bank records and that they have turned it over to the NCAA. I aint no lawyer, but that sounds bad. I wouldn't count on him this year. Better coach Vargas up quick.
jagator
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:49 am

jagator wrote:ESPN is saying that they have them and the bank records and that they have turned it over to the NCAA. I aint no lawyer, but that sounds bad. I wouldn't count on him this year. Better coach Vargas up quick.

Well if he did it he did it, he needs to admit he did, No doubt he will be the beast on our team, but lets follow the rules.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthernIndianaCatsFan Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:15 am

jagator wrote:Kinda hard to argue with checks that have his signature on them. That and the fact that Oak Hill wouldn't touch him, doesn't sound too good. If all these football players are being held out because they attended a party in South Beach, I don't think you will see Enes on the court. This is not good.
I'm not worried, still better than Florida without him...And any other team in the SEC.
SouthernIndianaCatsFan
SouthernIndianaCatsFan

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : Da Colts

Back to top Go down

Post  woodywoodwick Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:40 am

This POOP is too shady.
I have a feeling ties will soon be cut with this kid. What a shame.
Was it a known fact that Kanter was payed while he was playing in Turkey?
Wasn't he allowed money for room and board, as long as it didn't exceed a certain dollar amount?

Also this may have no legs for the simple fact, that these "Facts" are from the same Tard that "Broke" the Bledsoe story.
Wishful Thinking?........ Totally!!!

woodywoodwick
woodywoodwick

Favorite NFL team: : Steelers

Back to top Go down

Post  stuckinknoxville Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:49 pm

Damn it! This is what I was afraid of.
stuckinknoxville
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:00 pm

SouthernIndianaCatsFan wrote:
jagator wrote:Kinda hard to argue with checks that have his signature on them. That and the fact that Oak Hill wouldn't touch him, doesn't sound too good. If all these football players are being held out because they attended a party in South Beach, I don't think you will see Enes on the court. This is not good.
I'm not worried, still better than Florida without him...And any other team in the SEC.

Wrong. You're not even better with him.
jagator
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:04 pm

woodywoodwick wrote:This POOP is too shady.
I have a feeling ties will soon be cut with this kid. What a shame.
Was it a known fact that Kanter was payed while he was playing in Turkey?
Wasn't he allowed money for room and board, as long as it didn't exceed a certain dollar amount?

Also this may have no legs for the simple fact, that these "Facts" are from the same Tard that "Broke" the Bledsoe story.
Wishful Thinking?........ Totally!!!

How do you know the Bledsoe thing is over yet? Look how long they took on OJ Mayo and Reggie Bush. I think the kids was allowed room and board but not his whole family. And then he's getting paid as much as the pros on top of that. Not good.
jagator
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolina Kat Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:17 pm

Sounds like a bribery situation. He was so good that in order to keep him, they paid him all of this money or made him a great package, which he was stupid enough to accept because he was totally unaware of what the NCAA was all about. Now that he's here and left Turkey, he's got no legs to stand on so to speak. Ignorance is not going to work and Turkey is out to get him and make him pay for leaving.

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down

Post  stuckinknoxville Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:21 pm

jagator wrote:

Jag,
You actually have some decent posts on here then you throw something like this out there and lose all credibility.
stuckinknoxville
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthernIndianaCatsFan Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:02 pm

jagator wrote:

You make me laugh that's for sure.

The thing is it was 100,000 over a 3 year period, that is the same amount of money that any prep school gives over the same period of time. How is this situation any different? In Turkey they don''t have college to attend, so they have to go play for professional teams. The NCAA needs to consider the circumstances, and how they are very different then what they are here. Obviously the kid is serious about wanting to be an amteur basketball player in America, or he wouldn't have signed up for classes.
SouthernIndianaCatsFan
SouthernIndianaCatsFan

Favorite NFL team: : Da Colts

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:20 pm

Looks like the issue is that he was paid what the other guys were being paid. He was given extra pay and extra benefits because he was a great player. OJ Mayo? Reggie Bush? Plus they gave his family a place to live too. Reggie Bush?

And we will be better than you. You guys are taking our cast offs now. That should tell you something.
jagator
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  stuckinknoxville Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:25 pm

jagator wrote:Looks like the issue is that he was paid what the other guys were being paid. He was given extra pay and extra benefits because he was a great player. OJ Mayo? Reggie Bush? Plus they gave his family a place to live too. Reggie Bush?

And we will be better than you. You guys are taking our cast offs now. That should tell you something.

Cast offs? We are giving a fine young gentleman a second chance to make something of himself. Wink
He tried JV ball(florida) and now he wants to take a shot at playing with the big boys. Can't blame him for wanting a better life!
stuckinknoxville
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:47 pm

Yeah. He couldn't hack it in Gainesville. Thought he'd find a place where he could get on the court. Found some second tier team I guess. Look at the bright side. You'll probably beat us in football this year.
jagator
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  Californication Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:51 am

LOL. Jag, you are entertaining. We'll have to wait and see how the season works out. I think we'll beat you without him, but if Kanter is eligible, I will bet a quart of Woodford that we beat you this year. Not a sweep, but I'm betting on total points difference, between 2-3 games, whichever it works out to be depending on the tournament. Game on?
Californication
Californication

Back to top Go down

Post  stuckinknoxville Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:16 am

jagator wrote:Yeah. He couldn't hack it in Gainesville. Thought he'd find a place where he could get on the court. Found some second tier team I guess. Look at the bright side. You'll probably beat us in football this year.
I think he learned his lesson by watching last years games. He realized, like most folks in other states know, that Eddie Munster was a flash in the pan and really can't coach.
stuckinknoxville
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlueCats86 Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:33 am

This article provided nothing we didn't already know, all he did was throw a misleading title on it and misquote a guy and make it seem like he broke something (same guy that "broke" the Bledsoe story/non-story). Enes and his family don't need that type of money. He always intended on coming to the US and playing college ball and then going to the NBA. I don't think there is even anything to worry about here. They don't even have the 1 for 1 rule anymore which would still only be 9 games. I 100% believe that Enes will be cleared to play before the season starts, possibly before practice even starts. Everyone knew that Turkey was going to do everything they could the prevent Enes from playing in the US, but their efforts in the end will be futile. I'll pull a Howie and say Enes playing for UK this season is a 'done deal'. Stop fretting affraid
BigBlueCats86
BigBlueCats86

Favorite College team: : Kentucky
Favorite NFL team: : Dolphins

Back to top Go down

Post  stuckinknoxville Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:19 am

I hope you're right.
stuckinknoxville
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:17 pm

stuckinknoxville wrote:
jagator wrote:Yeah. He couldn't hack it in Gainesville. Thought he'd find a place where he could get on the court. Found some second tier team I guess. Look at the bright side. You'll probably beat us in football this year.
I think he learned his lesson by watching last years games. He realized, like most folks in other states know, that Eddie Munster was a flash in the pan and really can't coach.

LMFAO! Flash in the pan! That's a good one. Doesn't stop UKrap from falling all over themselves every time they need a new coach to be the first to beg him to take their Krappy job does it? Who you get once Cal lands you on double secret probation? If Billy is a flash then cal must be a what? a spark? The man has won nothing. He would kill to be a flash in the pan.
jagator
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  stuckinknoxville Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:27 pm

jagator wrote:
stuckinknoxville wrote:

LMFAO! Flash in the pan! That's a good one. Doesn't stop UKrap from falling all over themselves every time they need a new coach to be the first to beg him to take their Krappy job does it? Who you get once Cal lands you on double secret probation? If Billy is a flash then cal must be a what? a spark? The man has won nothing. He would kill to be a flash in the pan.

Don't be jealous Jag. Look on the bright side. Your football boys have a good chance of winning the SEC East and making it to the conference championship again.
stuckinknoxville
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:29 pm

What the hell were you watching the other day? I'll be making plans for the Music City Bowl. Can you guys hook me up with where to stay in Nashville?
jagator
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  Californication Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:15 am

Any interest in the wager Jag?
Californication
Californication

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:36 pm

On what? The Music City Bowl?
jagator
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  Californication Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:40 pm

Californication wrote:LOL. Jag, you are entertaining. We'll have to wait and see how the season works out. I think we'll beat you without him, but if Kanter is eligible, I will bet a quart of Woodford that we beat you this year. Not a sweep, but I'm betting on total points difference, between 2-3 games, whichever it works out to be depending on the tournament. Game on?

This was my question.
Californication
Californication

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:15 am

I'll have to admit my ignorance here. I have no idea what Woodford is. Never heard of it.
jagator
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  woodywoodwick Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:20 pm

Californication wrote:
Californication wrote:LOL. Jag, you are entertaining. We'll have to wait and see how the season works out. I think we'll beat you without him, but if Kanter is eligible, I will bet a quart of Woodford that we beat you this year. Not a sweep, but I'm betting on total points difference, between 2-3 games, whichever it works out to be depending on the tournament. Game on?

This was my question.
That's a weak bet!
Bet for a sweep with or without Enes, Straight Up!!
woodywoodwick
woodywoodwick

Favorite NFL team: : Steelers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next