BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brandon Knight Or John Wall?

+5
BlueMadness33
stuckinknoxville
cryptkeeper
Californication
BestdamnUKfanperiod
9 posters

Go down

Brandon Knight Or John Wall?  Empty Brandon Knight Or John Wall?

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:57 pm

Brandon Knight Or John Wall?

By Alan Cutler

Posted: Aug 18, 2010 4:21 PM
Updated: Aug 18, 2010 4:24 PM

If you are going to judge the three game exhibition series in Canada, we are going to give it an A plus. Sure there are plenty of things Calipari needs to work on with his young team, but when you look at improvement, and you look at how these players learn and grew a lot, what else could you ask for.

There is something else starting up with UK basketball. The debate of John Wall and this years freshman sensation Brandon Knight.

A plus would also be the grade True Blue fans would give John Wall in Lexington. Plus, Wall had the best start possible, hitting the game winning shot in his first game. It's the stuff movies are made of. With that in mind, even though Brandon Knight is a two time national player of the year, it's like he's been under hyped, if there is such a thing with a big prep star coming to town.

How could you top or equal John Wall? Is he just as fast as the lightning quick Wall? Who wouldn't want to see that race.

John Wall even called Calipari to tell him that Knight is doing really good, but that he's faster. All Cal could do is laugh.

Plus, Brandon Knight has it all between his ears.

"He's very smart," says UK Center Josh Harrellson.

"Like Coach Cal says, this might be one of the smartest teams he's ever coached. Brandon Knight just brings a different IQ to the game. He just sees everything. Even if you don't see it. He just gets the job done."

DeAndre Liggins, whose heart and hustle in Canada is a great example of how to play, knows how special the new point guard is.

"I just look up to him as a role model," says UK's guard. "He works very hard on and off the court. He's a good teammate to be around. He is always working on his game to get better."

Knight averaged 25 points and 8 assists over the games in Canada. Plus, making the right decision at speeds not known to most mortal men.

Ah yes, a debate that wasn't expected, might be starting. Who will end up being better with Kentucky across their chest, John Wall or Brandon Knight. Let the fun begin.

BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Brandon Knight Or John Wall?  Empty Re: Brandon Knight Or John Wall?

Post  Californication Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:42 pm

My dad has already said he'd take Knight over Wall after 3 games against weak opposition. I told him it was a bit early for that declaration, but he's sold. I will have to see Knight play much more before I could choose him over the best PG to ever play at UK.
Californication
Californication

Favorite College team: : duh
Favorite NFL team: : cowboys!!

Back to top Go down

Post  cryptkeeper Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:32 am

I love Wall but I fell like Knight will be the better "College" player
cryptkeeper
cryptkeeper

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : COLTS-until manning leaves

Back to top Go down

Post  Californication Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:05 am

I love him too. The PG position is going to be in great shape. He has all the potential in the world. I think it is way too early to put him in the same category as Wall. Wait until the end of January. I hope he is all I think he will be.
Californication
Californication

Back to top Go down

Post  stuckinknoxville Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:55 pm

Californication wrote:My dad has already said he'd take Knight over Wall after 3 games against weak opposition. I told him it was a bit early for that declaration, but he's sold. I will have to see Knight play much more before I could choose him over the best PG to ever play at UK.
Hold on there. You really think Wall is the best PG ever at UK? Maybe the most athletic but best? I don't think so.
stuckinknoxville
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

Post  Californication Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:09 pm

I guess that is a fair question. He was the #1 draft pick, pretty much broke every freshman record. It'd be hard for me to pick anybody above him.
Californication
Californication

Back to top Go down

Post  stuckinknoxville Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:58 pm

Californication wrote:I guess that is a fair question. He was the #1 draft pick, pretty much broke every freshman record. It'd be hard for me to pick anybody above him.

Part of the reason Wall went #1 in the draft is potential. Kind of like Orton being picked in the first round without starting in college. I'm not trying to compare the two but part of John's high stock is due to potential. Plus it didn't hurt to have four other first round draft picks on the team to take the defensive focus off one person.
It's hard to argue his placement amoung the all time best Kentucky guards due to him only playing one year. However I do think we've had smarter guards such as Delk, Ford, Epps, and maybe Turner. All of them could definitely shoot the ball better.

Had John stayed for two or three years I would probably change my mind. He had a hell of a season.
stuckinknoxville
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:25 pm

stuckinknoxville wrote:
Californication wrote:I guess that is a fair question. He was the #1 draft pick, pretty much broke every freshman record. It'd be hard for me to pick anybody above him.

Part of the reason Wall went #1 in the draft is potential. Kind of like Orton being picked in the first round without starting in college. I'm not trying to compare the two but part of John's high stock is due to potential. Plus it didn't hurt to have four other first round draft picks on the team to take the defensive focus off one person.
It's hard to argue his placement amoung the all time best Kentucky guards due to him only playing one year. However I do think we've had smarter guards such as Delk, Ford, Epps, and maybe Turner. All of them could definitely shoot the ball better.

Had John stayed for two or three years I would probably change my mind. He had a hell of a season.

Stuck I understand what your saying, but think about this. Look what Wall did his freshman year, the guys you named didn't do what Wall has done their freshman year, I think Wall could have scored a lot more if he wanted to, One guy who reminds me of Wall is Chapman, I think if Wall would have stayed 4 years that he would have been the best at UK at guard. But then again if Chapman stayed he could have been.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Californication Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:44 am

Stuck, you know I love ya brutha, so I am not going to take a big stance on this by any means. It is really cool that we are witnessing an era where conversations of "the best ever at UK to play...." is happening. I have a feeling this is going to happen a lot over the next decade. There have certainly been much better shooting PG's(Macy), much better at protecting the ball(several), better defenders(maybe a couple), no better penetrators, etc. I just think that Wall was the most all around best PG we've had. I don't think Wall was drafted as the #1 pick based on potential. Potential doesn't get a number one, or top 10 draft pick, performance does. Players like Orton are drafter on potential. I respect what you are saying, but in my opinion, Wall is the best PG UK has had, and he attained that lofty postion after only one year.
Californication
Californication

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueMadness33 Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:07 am

Brandon Knight and John Wall are 2 totally different types of players. Wall used his freakish athletic ability while Knight is know more for is smart play.
BlueMadness33
BlueMadness33

Favorite NFL team: : Cincinnati Bengals

Back to top Go down

Post  Californication Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:42 am

BlueMadness33 wrote:Brandon Knight and John Wall are 2 totally different types of players. Wall used his freakish athletic ability while Knight is know more for is smart play.
a
How absolutely friggin cool is it that we have this conversation in back to back seasons? God bless John Calipari!!!! I might add, IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING!!!! For all the doubters, Cal will win a championship with a freshman laden team, sooner than later.
Californication
Californication

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueMadness33 Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:16 am

Californication wrote:
BlueMadness33 wrote:Brandon Knight and John Wall are 2 totally different types of players. Wall used his freakish athletic ability while Knight is know more for is smart play.
a
How absolutely friggin cool is it that we have this conversation in back to back seasons? God bless John Calipari!!!! I might add, IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING!!!! For all the doubters, Cal will win a championship with a freshman laden team, sooner than later.
Yeah really. 2011 is our year.
BlueMadness33
BlueMadness33

Favorite NFL team: : Cincinnati Bengals

Back to top Go down

Post  Shannon Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:47 am

As long as Knight dunks on some more guys like he did in that exhibition game he has my vote lol
Shannon
Shannon

Favorite College team: : Kentucky of course
Favorite NFL team: : Colts!!

Back to top Go down

Post  stuckinknoxville Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:13 pm

BestdamnUKfanperiod wrote:
Stuck I understand what your saying, but think about this. Look what Wall did his freshman year, the guys you named didn't do what Wall has done their freshman year, I think Wall could have scored a lot more if he wanted to, One guy who reminds me of Wall is Chapman, I think if Wall would have stayed 4 years that he would have been the best at UK at guard. But then again if Chapman stayed he could have been.

I agree. I'm not inclined to argue much either way. I guess the fact that he was only there for one year gives me pause. Maybe I'll say the same thing once it's had time to sink in. That and the fact that we didn't win it all. Maybe if we had I would have never said anything.
stuckinknoxville
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

Post  stuckinknoxville Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:21 pm

Californication wrote:Stuck, you know I love ya brutha, so I am not going to take a big stance on this by any means. It is really cool that we are witnessing an era where conversations of "the best ever at UK to play...." is happening. I have a feeling this is going to happen a lot over the next decade. There have certainly been much better shooting PG's(Macy), much better at protecting the ball(several), better defenders(maybe a couple), no better penetrators, etc. I just think that Wall was the most all around best PG we've had. I don't think Wall was drafted as the #1 pick based on potential. Potential doesn't get a number one, or top 10 draft pick, performance does. Players like Orton are drafter on potential. I respect what you are saying, but in my opinion, Wall is the best PG UK has had, and he attained that lofty postion after only one year.

As I told BDUKF, I'm not sure myself. But your declaration of him being the best UK guard ever kind of threw me. Guess I'll have to ponder that one over a six pack this weekend.
stuckinknoxville
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

Post  MULECHOPS Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:13 pm

I'll tell you mid January.
MULECHOPS
MULECHOPS

Favorite NFL team: : Vikings

Back to top Go down

Post  Californication Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:13 am

6 pack over the weekend? Really? 6 pack-weekend? Damn, you stay too sober to make rational decisions. LOL. Hope you kill a buck as big as Boogie this year.
Californication
Californication

Back to top Go down

Post  Fossten Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:54 pm

Court awareness - Advantage Wall
Scoring - Advantage Knight
Shooting - Advantage Knight
Body control - Advantage Wall
Floater shot - Advantage Knight
Court speed - Advantage PUSH
Athleticism - Advantage PUSH
Clutch - Advantage PUSH

Knight by a hair only because he'll be in the DDM all season.
Fossten
Fossten

Favorite NFL team: : Cowboys

Back to top Go down

Post  Californication Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:34 am

Dang Fos. You gotta lot of push and Knight lean based on little performance at the level. I hope you are right.
Californication
Californication

Back to top Go down

Post  Fossten Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:47 am

It's based on what I've seen, both in Canada and in Int'l play - remember he hit the winning shot against Kanter's team.

I actually added two more:

Height: Adv Wall
Turnovers: Adv Knight
Fossten
Fossten

Favorite NFL team: : Cowboys

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthernIndianaCatsFan Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:50 am

Until further review, Wall.
SouthernIndianaCatsFan
SouthernIndianaCatsFan

Favorite NFL team: : Da Colts

Back to top Go down

Post  stuckinknoxville Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:02 pm

SouthernIndianaCatsFan wrote:Until further review, Wall.

Exactly. Too soon to be making a comparison.
stuckinknoxville
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down