BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calipari, UK head to Canada for exhibition games

Go down

Calipari, UK head to Canada for exhibition games   Empty Calipari, UK head to Canada for exhibition games

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:43 am

Calipari, UK head to Canada for exhibition games

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/08/13/1391531/calipari-uk-head-to-canada-for.html#ixzz0wZH5735E

The Associated Press

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- John Calipari is taking his young Kentucky squad to Canada this weekend for a three-game exhibition trip where seven newcomers will get an early preview of the coach's system.

With just four returning players, Kentucky has had 17 practices the last 10 days to prepare for the trip - and Calipari said the early workouts have been sloppy.

"But I'll tell you, they're all trying. They're here early," Calipari said. "I've challenged them. Some of (the practices) were cerebral on the court but they still were an hour and 15 minutes. The scrimmages, we stretched out a little longer because we're playing eight or nine guys."

Kentucky will play three games in three days in Windsor, Ontario; Sunday's opener is against the University of Windsor, Monday's game is against the Western Mustangs and Tuesday's finale is a rematch against the University of Windsor.

The Wildcats' lineup in Canada will look a little different than it will once the season starts in Lexington. Freshman center Enes Kanter will not play in Canada, Calipari said, because the NCAA is reviewing his eligibility and have not yet made a decision. Kanter has been cleared academically, but his amateur status has not yet been decided. He played for a professional team in his native Turkey.

Another newcomer, junior college transfer Eloy Vargas, will not make the trip. Vargas is still completing a course at Miami Dade College and was unable to enroll in the mandatory three credit hours at Kentucky to attend the trip.

That leaves nine players on the roster. Thankfully for Calipari, he has unlimited timeouts and unlimited fouls during the games.

"I don't know if TV knows that," Calipari said. "I told them I'm calling as many timeouts as I need. If I need to stop it, I'm stopping it."

With a short roster, Calipari said he hopes to find out which of his young players can make crunch-time shots like John Wall did last year.

"It's hard to lead when you start," Calipari said. "Derrick Rose did not lead right away (at Memphis). He was trying to figure it out. It's hard to tell somebody, 'You don't know what you're doing.'"

To help teach his players what winning and losing feel like, each drill in practice has had a winner and a loser.

"I want players in practice having to win games," Calipari said. "Win that drill."

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/08/13/1391531/calipari-uk-head-to-canada-for.html#ixzz0wZHFJmeT
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down