BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sporting News ranks UK football No. 58

Go down

Sporting News ranks UK football No. 58 Empty Sporting News ranks UK football No. 58

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:27 pm

Sporting News ranks UK football No. 58

By Eric Lindsey on July 7, 2010 4:34 PM | No TrackBacks

It was just over a week ago that I said it seemed like UK football, no matter how good the team truly ends up being, always seems to be ranked in the 50s for preseason football rankings. Count the Sporting News as yet another example.

The website is in the process of counting down its top 100 teams in college football for the upcoming 2010 season. Sporting News ranked the Wildcats No. 58 with a projected record of 5-7 overall, 2-6 in the Southeastern Conference. That is obviously not what Joker Phillips is looking for in his year as head coach.

Check out the full preseason breakdown of the Wildcats at the Sporting News. For a preview of why Sporting News could be right or wrong, check out the excerpt below:
Why we know we're right: Despite all that Rich Brooks accomplished at UK--and there was plenty considering what he took over and how he finished--the Wildcats still face an uphill battle in the SEC under new coach Joker Phillips. There's talent at the skill positions, but the offensive line is completely rebuilt and doesn't look like a group that can control the line of scrimmage. For UK to reach another bowl game, wide receiver Randall Cobb and tailback Derrick Locke--two of the SEC's more exciting players--need room to work. The line will struggle to open holes for Locke, and the quarterbacks will struggle to get the ball to Cobb.

Why we might be wrong: QB Morgan Newton has a ton of raw ability, and has the size and enough experience to take a significant step in growth. But he still hasn't won the starting job--he's still battling Mike Hartline and Ryan Mossakowski--and still lacks the confidence of an SEC quarterback. Only Florida and Georgia have better skill players in the SEC East. If the line can find a way to protect Newton, the Wildcats have more than enough to extend the school record bowl streak to five years.

- Also, check out a great Q and A with former UK football defensive tackle Corey Peters by the Gainesville (Ga.) Times. Peters talks about his time at UK and the noticeable attitude change the program underwent during his time in Lexington. Below is an excerpt from one of the best people I've ever had the chance of interviewing:

Q: What was it like being a part of Kentucky's teams that went to four straight bowl games?

A: The amazing thing about going to Kentucky was that I could see the change in attitude from the time I got there coming off a 2-10 campaign and coming off of probation, but seeing the fans come out more and more and really starting to support us. We beat Georgia my freshman year.

We beat LSU when they were No. 1 my sophomore year. We just built on that and the fans continued to support us. Kentucky is at the point where we're trying to get up in those 10-win seasons, and if we don't then it's a disappointment.
Add a Comment
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down