BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calipari fooled by saga of prize recruit Jones

Go down

Calipari fooled by saga of prize recruit Jones Empty Calipari fooled by saga of prize recruit Jones

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:32 am

Calipari fooled by saga of prize recruit Jones

By LARRY VAUGHT
larry@amnews.com
June 17, 2010

Patience can be a virtue in recruiting, and Kentucky coach John Calipari has never been one to rush players to make an early decision.

However, even the Kentucky coach was a bit taken aback by how the whole scenario played out with Oregon standout Terrence Jones before he eventually signed with the Wildcats last month.

Jones initially made a verbal commitment to Washington during a televised press conference at his high school. Less than an hour later, though, he called Calipari to tell him he was not certain about his decision.

“I have never had one go on like that, and not where the kid picks up the (Washington) cap (off a table in front of him) and puts it on and then calls you an hour later and says, ‘I made a mistake. Will you still take me if I want to come? I don’t know why I did it,’” said Calipari.

“My way of doing things is if a young man commits to another school, I am done. But he picks the hat and calls me an hour later. I thought it (his decision) would be over within a day and it didn’t. It just kept going on and on. He was funny where he wouldn’t take calls. But he was calling us. I am happy and think he made the right choice.”

Of course, Calipari was convinced he was going to pick Kentucky at the press conference. The coach said he was “stunned” when Jones didn’t announce for UK.

“I had heard from people that he was coming to Kentucky. Family members told me that he was coming,” Calipari said.

“When he picked the other hat, I said, ‘What did you say? What the heck just happened?’ I imagine Washington was surprised, too, that they got this kid. We were all hearing the same thing.

“That is what happens when you are 17 and have never been through this when you are a pleaser, and that is what he is. He is one of those kids that wants everybody to feel good about him, kind of like John Wall, and wants to do what his teammates, family and friends want. He is that way. In the end I think he did what he wanted to do himself and we are thrilled to have him.”

Payne arriving: Calipari also confirmed that former Oregon assistant coach Kenny Payne should be in Lexington soon to fill the vacancy on the UK staff created when Rod Strickland asked to be re-assigned to other duties.

“I think Kenny is ready to take on this challenge and will do a great job,” Calipari said. “He’s been a part of our basketball family a long time. He’s gone to the coaching retreat we have every year. I’ve always liked him.”

Payne is a Mississippi native who played at Louisville after picking the Cards over Kentucky. He has been coaching at Oregon since 2004 and is regarded as a relentless recruiter.

“Coaching at Kentucky is different, and he will find that out. The expectations are high every year, and that is a good thing. You also are under a lot of scrutiny from people everywhere. But I think he will really be a great addition to our staff.”

NBA draft: Calipari still believes five UK players — John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Patrick Patterson, Daniel Orton and Eric Bledsoe — will be picked in the first round of the NBA draft June 24.

“Think about. If all five get drafted in the first round, it will be the first time five from one school go in the first round,” Calipari said. “You worry a little bit about Daniel and Eric, but I think Eric is fine. My hope is that he is late lottery (the first 14 picks). I am convinced if he is not late lottery, it will be shortly thereafter. Daniel, if he is not late lottery, I think he will be late first round the same way unless there is something going on that I don’t know about.

“I am proud of them all. Four of them could have averaged 25 points per game, and they all gave up points for the good of the team. That’s what you have to admire all those guys and wish them the best.”

While Orton and Bledsoe were not considered first-round picks going into last season, Calipari says Cousins was not in his mind, either.

“No one thought DeMarcus would be out after a year either because of his maturity. You are talking three guys if you asked me before the season started that I thought we would have them all back,” Calipari said. “As the season wound down, you are like, ‘You know what, I am with you.’ These guys could go in the first round.

“Eric, the things he did all year in a way for his team was impressive. It was fine if John got the glory. Other games he got it. DeMarcus was John’s biggest fan. They were all each other’s fans and that is how this is supposed to work. That is why I am so happy for all of them.”
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down