BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK Didn't Get It's Money's Worth With Calipari

+3
UK Maine-Iac
bluebox23
Carolina Kat
7 posters

Go down

Do You Feel Like Calipari Earned His UK Salary This Year?

UK Didn't Get It's Money's Worth With Calipari I_vote_lcap90%UK Didn't Get It's Money's Worth With Calipari I_vote_rcap 90% 
[ 18 ]
UK Didn't Get It's Money's Worth With Calipari I_vote_lcap0%UK Didn't Get It's Money's Worth With Calipari I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
UK Didn't Get It's Money's Worth With Calipari I_vote_lcap0%UK Didn't Get It's Money's Worth With Calipari I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
UK Didn't Get It's Money's Worth With Calipari I_vote_lcap10%UK Didn't Get It's Money's Worth With Calipari I_vote_rcap 10% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 20

UK Didn't Get It's Money's Worth With Calipari Empty UK Didn't Get It's Money's Worth With Calipari

Post  Carolina Kat Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:53 am

Kentucky doesn't get its money's worth out of Calipari

March 28, 2010

By Mike Freeman
CBSSports.com National Columnist

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- When you sell your soul, as Kentucky did to get John Calipari, there are supposed to be riches and fame and rainbows, not an embarrassing butt whipping with the Final Four on the line.

It's not just that Kentucky lost to West Virginia 73-66. It's how the Wildcats lost: whining, complaining, gyrating, crying, flailing and temper tantrum-ing over almost every call the game officials made. One outburst led to a technical foul. They seemed more obsessed over officiating than they were about playing ball.

At one point John Wall was so angry over calls he had to be calmed by DeMarcus Cousins, which is like man biting dog.

The anger soon turned to outright shock as West Virginia shut down Kentucky's shooters and as the Mountaineers made their own baskets. Kentucky was 0 for 20 at one point in the game from 3-point range.

After shock came the outright refusal to admit that the Wildcats actually lost. A good 20 minutes afterward, Wildcat players sat at their lockers with towels draped over their heads. Some had tears in their eyes while others stubbornly refused to give the Mountaineers credit.

"I feel like we beat ourselves more then they beat us," said guard Ramon Harris. He added: "I still think we're the best team in the country, hands down."

At no point in this game did they look it.

This is what happens when blue collar meets white collar. One team, the Mountaineers, played gritty and earthy basketball, relying mostly on calm nerves and defensive rigor. The other, the tradition rich one-and-doners, waited for a bailout. It never came.

The Final Four may be the Final Snore but the Mountaineers are still a great story. Butler will be all Cinderella-y but the Mountaineers should now earn the mantle as America's blue-collar darlings after what can be argued is the most important win in school history.

"Forty-nine states picked us to lose," said West Virginia's Da'Sean Butler. "Obviously we wanted to make everybody upset. We went out there and played our game. We grinded it out. We won. I knew we were going to win ... It was a matter of how we were going to do it." It'll be stated and written that this isn't such a momentous upset since West Virginia is a two seed and Kentucky a one. Yet let's not forget that Wildcat players might go first and second in the next NBA Draft. West Virginia is no slouch but Kentucky is clearly the most physically gifted team in the tournament and they were completely and utterly outclassed. The score doesn't indicate how badly they were beaten.

If you can't see that, you don't know basketball.

In the end, this game came down to an undeniable fact. Quite simply, Bob Huggins outsmarted and out-coached his good friend Calipari. It's an embarrassing truth but it's a truth and this isn't the first time. Huggins is 8-1 all-time versus Calipari. When Huggins was at Cincinnati, he was 2-0 versus Calipari's Massachusetts teams and 5-1 versus Calipari's Memphis teams.

Huggins knew that Kentucky's inside size would be highly problematic so a team that normally runs a more patient offense took more outside shots.

The strategy seemed to totally backfire early. Kentucky took a 16-9 lead because West Virginia couldn't make a basket, going 0 for 16 on two-point shot attempts in the first half.

But Huggins didn't panic and as Kentucky began to self-annihilate, the West Virginia shots started to fall. And fall. And fall. The Mountaineers' eight first-half threes were a season high for the opening 20 minutes.

When Butler got going the entire West Virginia team followed. That Kentucky lead evaporated and the Mountaineers led by two at halftime. Butler finished with 18 points and guard Joe Mazzulla had a career-high 17. The latter destroyed Kentucky by making several easy layups right down the heart of that Wildcats defense.

What did Calipari do to energize his team and slow West Virginia? Nothing. While Rome, Ky., burned, Calipari fiddled. Again, the Wildcats started 0 for 20 from 3-point range, which begs the question why didn't Calipari have the Wildcats go inside and use their size advantage with Cousins once the shooting went cold? It was a huge tactical error.

Kentucky never figured out West Virginia's 1-3-1 zone and as a result the Mountaineers stayed in it nearly the entire game. "The 1-3-1 bothered us," Calipari said. "We tried different things and it bothered us more than I thought it would."

Calipari also did nothing to refocus the Wildcats from officiating to the game itself. These are the reasons why Kentucky got Calipari. But he did zippo. Not a doggone thing.

The Wildcats have three players who will probably declare for next season's NBA Draft. Wall and Cousins are definitely goners. That is an unbelievable amount of talent.

And what do Calipari and Kentucky have to show for it?

They'll be watching the Final Four on television just like the rest of us.

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down

UK Didn't Get It's Money's Worth With Calipari Empty Re: UK Didn't Get It's Money's Worth With Calipari

Post  bluebox23 Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:39 am

you can tell this guy is in the bathroom stroking it because uk lost
bluebox23
bluebox23

Favorite College team: : UK

Back to top Go down

UK Didn't Get It's Money's Worth With Calipari Empty Re: UK Didn't Get It's Money's Worth With Calipari

Post  UK Maine-Iac Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:37 am

There's no need to make fun of this guy. His bitterness shows he's had to endure his whole life.

What a pathetic piece of skin.
UK Maine-Iac
UK Maine-Iac

Favorite College team: : Who do you think?
Favorite NFL team: : Saints

Back to top Go down

Post  Fossten Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:30 am

This guy is a wannabe. He went to the U of Delaware and DIDN'T EVEN GRADUATE. Then he lied on his resume.

Puffed-Up Risumi Costs Sportswriter a New Job

By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, January 10, 2004; Page C04

A longtime New York Times sportswriter who left to join the Indianapolis Star has resigned from his new job after admitting that he falsified his résumé.

Mike Freeman, who covered professional football and basketball and did investigative reporting at the Times, apologized for telling the Star that he was a graduate of the University of Delaware. He said he attended the school for four years but did not graduate.

"These were lies," Freeman, 37, said in a statement posted on the Web site SportsPages.com. He added: "This was a terrible and unforgivable manipulation of the facts. . . . It was the only time I have told such falsehoods and no other deceptions have ever appeared in any of my newspaper stories or two books at any time in my 16 years of practicing journalism. Nevertheless, the information I gave the Star was wrong and I will be punished with the loss of my newspaper career."

Star Editor Dennis Ryerson said in an interview yesterday that he had accepted the resignation, although this was "a bit awkward" because Freeman had not yet started his job as a columnist.

"The message is, he will not be working at the Star," he said. "I'm very sorry about the way it turned out." Ryerson added that a college degree is not required to work at the Star, and in fact, he does not have one.

Ryerson disclosed the news to readers through the paper's Web site yesterday afternoon.

Freeman worked for The Washington Post in 1988 and again from 1990 to 1992, covering pro football. He has also written for the Dallas Morning News and Boston Globe. Freeman is the author of "Bloody Sundays: Inside the Dazzling, Rough-and-Tumble World of the NFL," published last year, and the 2000 book "ESPN: The Uncensored History."

In July, he reported for the Times on allegations of academic misconduct involving Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett.

In his statement, Freeman said "there are no excuses or alibis" for misrepresenting his résumé. "This is my fault and my fault alone. Most of all, I have hurt and disappointed close friends and family, particularly my wife, and for this I am truly sorry. I also want to apologize to the Star."
Fossten
Fossten

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : Cowboys

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolina Kat Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:25 pm

Nice Find There Foss.

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down

Post  AddctdGmbler Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:38 pm

I hope he doesn't look both ways when he crosses the street this morning.
AddctdGmbler
AddctdGmbler

Favorite College team: : Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : Colts

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Dude Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:21 pm

if anyone picks anything other than Yes or Duke Sucks, you're an idiot. He took a team where half of which were sophomores are younger and took them from going to the NIT to the Elite 8. This year was a huge step in the right direction. Cal earned his checks this year.
Blue Dude
Blue Dude

Favorite College team: : Kentucky
Favorite NFL team: : Patriots

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildcat Fanatic Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:29 pm

Of course I voted yes, and since I can only choose one option, DOOK SUCKS.
Wildcat Fanatic
Wildcat Fanatic

Favorite College team: : Kentucky
Favorite NFL team: : Baltimore Ravens

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down