BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calipari: SEC title will mean 'nothing'

3 posters

Go down

Calipari: SEC title will mean 'nothing' Empty Calipari: SEC title will mean 'nothing'

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:43 am

Calipari: SEC title will mean 'nothing'

Updated Feb 26, 2010 5:13 PM ET
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP)
John Calipari is one win away from clinching a Southeastern Conference championship in his first season at Kentucky -- just what he was brought in to do.

That's why his answer was swift and decisive when Calipari was asked Friday what winning the school's 44th conference title would mean: "Nothing."

The No. 2 Wildcats (27-1, 12-1), college basketball's winningest program, would assure themselves of at least a share of the championship by beating No. 19 Tennessee on Saturday. They would get the championship outright if Vanderbilt also loses at Arkansas.

"I've always taken the approach that it's about the seed in the NCAA tournament," Calipari said. "If you want me to be honest about how I think and what we're doing to prepare, that's what it is. The SEC tournament is about our seed in the NCAA tournament."

Calipari says he isn't concerned about players slacking off down the stretch, considering some have projected that there is virtually nothing Kentucky can do to lose a top seed in the NCAA tournament.

The games remain as important as ever, he said, because everything has to do with getting better. The Wildcats certainly saw plenty of improvement Thursday with an 82-61 victory over South Carolina, avenging their only loss.

Most improved was the team's veteran forward Patrick Patterson, who got a season-high 23 points after managing a season-low five in the previous meeting with the Gamecocks.

"I know I have to perform well and go out there with a lot of energy and just play," Patterson said. "I have to come in every game, every night and play ball. I am the veteran, the older guy out there on the court with the most experience, and I should be doing that."

Kentucky beat Tennessee 73-62 earlier this month. Just as Patterson seemed to jump-start his season against South Carolina, freshman guard Eric Bledsoe had one of his best outings against the Vols and has continued his consistent play since.

Once again, the Wildcats may be catching the Vols at a time their star big man, Wayne Chism, isn't 100 percent. In Tennessee's loss to Florida this week, Chism committed a hard foul and dropped to his knees in pain near the bench.

Even if he's fully healthy, Kentucky seems to be hitting its stride with its post play. The Wildcats dominated the rebounding and inside scoring against the Gamecocks, and freshman center DeMarcus Cousins got yet another double-double to extend his UK freshman record to 17.

Tennessee has struggled lately, losing three of its last five games and dropping to fourth in the SEC East behind Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Florida.

Still, Calipari knows never to look past Vols coach Bruce Pearl, whom he's faced numerous times over the years while leading Memphis.

"He may try to come out with some funky defense and we'll deal with it," Calipari said. "This won't be for the faint of heart. There are no boys in this game."
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Calipari: SEC title will mean 'nothing' Empty Re: Calipari: SEC title will mean 'nothing'

Post  BigBlueMIST Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:35 pm

I don't think it affected the game at Tennessee at all, but he probably shouldn't have said that.
BigBlueMIST
BigBlueMIST

Favorite College team: : Kentucky

Back to top Go down

Calipari: SEC title will mean 'nothing' Empty Re: Calipari: SEC title will mean 'nothing'

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:15 pm

I want us to win the SEC title seems like its been a while.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KickAss Kats Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:53 am

Typical ESPN trying to blow up something that has to do with UK, I think Coach Cal's idea is the bigger picture, & of course we would need to do well in the SEC tourney to accomplish what he has his eyes on
KickAss Kats
KickAss Kats

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : Colts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down