BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

He's the same old John Calipari

Go down

He's the same old John Calipari Empty He's the same old John Calipari

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:37 pm

He's the same old John Calipari

Thursday, March 4, 2010
Last updated: Thursday March 4, 2010, 10:34 AM
BY AL IANNAZZONE
The Record

John Calipari was on the Kentucky team bus Tuesday night when we spoke for the first time in nearly 10 years. It took about 10 seconds to realize the former Nets coach hasn’t changed

Calipari asked about the Nets, their move to Newark and eventually uttered the phrase he probably said the most in 2 1/2 seasons here: "Change the culture."

Like him or not, Calipari is a great recruiter and coach, and could have the key to the Nets’ future while running his Kentucky team.

If John Wall declares for the draft and the Nets win the lottery, top coaches — and top free agents — may want to join the team. Calipari said Wall is for real, just like his recent point-guard protégés Derrick Rose and Tyreke Evans.

"Someone’s going to get a player who’s driven to be special, wants to work and will make plays to win games," Calipari said. "He would be an unbelievable face for any organization. If it’s him, you’re starting with the right guy."

Calipari likes the pieces the Nets have and can’t understand why they’re challenging the 1972-73 Philadelphia 76ers’ 9-73 futility record.

"You got other guys that are legitimate NBA players," he said. "I go back and look at our team my first year [1996-97], and whew. You look at our roster … when we won our 10th game I had a celebration because I thought we were only going to win nine. The team I had, I couldn’t believe it."

Calipari spoke fondly about guiding the Nets to the playoffs the next season. He also shrugged off reports he’s a Nets’ coaching candidate, saying after 20 years "in the outposts" – including New Jersey – he doesn’t want to leave a "premier job" he compared to coaching the Lakers or managing the Yankees.

"It took me 20 years," Calipari said. "My thing is, let’s get this going. Let’s sustain. Let’s do it for a period of time. I’d like to know how the other half lives for a while."

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/86307847_He_s_the_same_old_Calipari.html
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down