BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MJ To Buy Bobcats

Go down

MJ To Buy Bobcats Empty MJ To Buy Bobcats

Post  Carolina Kat Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:27 am

Larry Brown: Michael Jordan intent on buying Bobcats
Bobcats coach says he’s pulling for Jordan to purchase team from Bob Johnson.

By Rick Bonnell
rbonnell@charlotteobserver.com

Posted: Monday, Feb. 15, 2010

Charlotte Bobcats managing partner Michael Jordan recently told coach Larry Brown he's doing everything he can to buy controlling interest in the team from Bob Johnson.

"I'm trying my hardest to get this thing done,'' Brown quoted Jordan as telling him last Tuesday, when Jordan attended a home game against the Washington Wizards.

Brown's comments, following a night-time practice Monday, were in reaction to NBA Commissioner David Stern's remarks Saturday that it's likely the team would be sold in roughly 60 days. Asked by the Observer if he'd favor Jordan buying control, Stern replied:

"I like the level, the increased level, of Michael's involvement and if Michael were to be a buyer, that would be a good thing.''

Certainly it would be good for Brown, who has said repeatedly he came to the Bobcats in the spring of 2008 for one reason - because Jordan, a fellow Tar Heel, asked him to. Brown says he has a strong relationship with Jordan, general manager Rod Higgins and team president Fred Whitfield, and wants that to continue.

"I'm hopeful that at the end of the day (after a sale) Michael will be running the Bobcats,'' Brown said at the first team practice following All-Star break.

Brown said he would welcome any closure on the ownership issue.

"Anytime I read a possibility Michael isn't going to be involved, it impacts my family and me. I came here because of him - no other reason,'' Brown said. "After I got here, I realized there are a lot of real pluses to being here. But I wouldn't have thought about'' coaching the Bobcats had Jordan not asked.

"Selfishly, I just don't want to see Michael not involved.''

Jordan has declined repeated interview requests on the prospect of him buying the team. His last public comments on the subject were on draft night in late June, when he confirmed he'd like to buy control if Johnson is looking to sell.

The only other known bidder is a group led by former Houston Rockets president George Postolos. Stern said Saturday he believes Johnson selling is inevitable and "sooner rather than later, within the next 60 days or so.''

Bobcats point guard Raymond Felton says he wants Jordan to buy the team and expects that to happen.

"From what I've been hearing, it's probably going to happen,'' Felton said, "and I hope it works out.''

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down