BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ESPN's Dykes duly impressed with UK

5 posters

Go down

ESPN's Dykes duly impressed with UK Empty ESPN's Dykes duly impressed with UK

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:44 am

ESPN's Dykes duly impressed with UK
http://www.kentucky.com/kentuckysports/jerrytipton/story/1089219.html
Analyst says Cats have best chance at staying unbeaten longest
By Jerry Tipton / Herald-Leader Staff Writer

With Southeastern Conference play beginning this weekend, ESPN analyst Jimmy Dykes begins the heavy-lifting part of his job.

Dykes shared his thoughts on SEC basketball in a telephone conversation last week:

Q: Going into league play, what SEC teams have you seen in person?

A: Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Alabama and Arkansas.

Q: What stands out in your mind?

A: As we headed into league play a year ago, I thought if the NCAA Tournament started right then, the SEC would get three teams in. Now, if the tournament started, I think they'd get six. That's very good improvement for the league overall. With the exception of Kentucky, everyone else has missed opportunities to take the league from a very good non-conference portion of the schedule to a great one.

Q: I picked Mississippi State — not Kentucky — to win the league. How dumb should I feel?

A: I can see everybody's reasons for picking Mississippi State. There were too many unknowns for Kentucky coming in. If there were 20 questions about Kentucky, they've answered 15 of them in a positive manner. As for State, the loss of Twany Beckham, the backup point guard, really hurt that team. Early on, they had no bench at all. I'd still have to say State is the favorite in the West and Kentucky in the East.

Q: Has John Wall already sewn up the National Player of the Year award?

A: If the award was given tonight, he'd win it. But that award is always earned in conference play. That's when it's going to be decided. He's certainly pressed himself to the top of the list. But he's going to chased by Damion Jones (Texas), Jon Scheyer (Duke), Luke Harangody (Notre Dame) and Sherron Collins (Kansas).

Q: What team poses the biggest threat to Kentucky's hegemony?

A: It was Tennessee before they ran into their problems. They really looked good when I did their game at Memphis. (Wayne) Chism has the size to go against Kentucky inside. Brian Williams had the size to match up with Kentucky. (J.P.) Prince and (Scotty) Hopson have size at the wings. They were the biggest threat. Obviously, they aren't anymore. ... You can't lose four guys like that and not get hurt at some point.

Q: How realistic is the talk of Kentucky going unbeaten this season?

A: There's not a game on their schedule they won't be favored. That's a huge statement. The ones that jump out at me are at Florida, at Mississippi State, at Vanderbilt. I'll say this: I think they have the greatest chance to go unbeaten the longest in college basketball. Kansas and Texas play each other on Feb. 8, and that league has Kansas State, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State. If somebody said who will be the last unbeaten team, I'd say Kentucky."

One man, one vote

Sportswriter Scott Johnson of the Everett (Wash.) Herald continues to cast the lone first-place vote for Kentucky in The Associated Press top 25 media poll.

Here's his reasoning:

"No real science to me picking UK No. 1," he wrote in an e-mail. "I actually had them seventh in the pre-season poll, knowing little about them other than (Patrick) Patterson, (John) Calipari and a big-time recruiting class. I moved them up to No. 4 after the UNC win, then watched them dismantle UConn and moved them over Kansas and Texas to No. 1.

"My theory on the poll was to use the pre-season as a testing period, when I could watch all the teams and then figure out who the best were. Like everyone else, I had Kansas No. 1 at the outset. But the Jayhawks didn't have any quality wins, and they weren't as dominant in games I saw as Kentucky was. While Kansas looked like it was trying to figure out how to mesh in the newcomers like Xavier Henry, Kentucky looked like it had the rotation all set. The Wildcats' starting five, for my money, is better than the Jayhawks'. That being said, Kansas is deeper.

"I saw three UK games before moving them up to No. 1. After they beat two of my top 10 teams — UNC and UConn — I thought they had the best pre-season of anyone. I'm not one of those guys who thinks I have to keep Kansas No. 1 just because they haven't lost. Kentucky was more impressive when I saw them."
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

ESPN's Dykes duly impressed with UK Empty Re: ESPN's Dykes duly impressed with UK

Post  bcking00 Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:31 am

Finally, something nice out of ESPN regarding the Cats. This is a good piece.

BK
bcking00
bcking00

Favorite NFL team: : Cincinnati Bengals

Back to top Go down

ESPN's Dykes duly impressed with UK Empty Re: ESPN's Dykes duly impressed with UK

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 am

Dykes I believe coached a lil while at UK I believe under Tubby. He is a good guy. Hope he is doing the Florida Game.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AddctdGmbler Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:32 pm

I didn't check the date on this article but I'm sure it was before the UT vs. Kansas game. I still think UT is going to be our biggest obstacle to overcome for an undefeated regular season. I'm sure that another team will come up and surprise us and give us a scare but UT is definitely the frontrunner.
AddctdGmbler
AddctdGmbler

Favorite College team: : Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : Colts

Back to top Go down

Post  CatfandownSouth Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 pm

I'm pretty sure Duke Vitale is working the game tonight.
CatfandownSouth
CatfandownSouth

Favorite College team: : Kentucky, Murray State
Favorite NFL team: : Jacksonville Jaguars

Back to top Go down

Post  AddctdGmbler Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:48 pm

Please tell me he's not doing it with the general.
AddctdGmbler
AddctdGmbler

Back to top Go down

Post  THE NATION OF BLUE Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:13 pm

Nah, he suppose to be with Erin Andrews and Brad Nessler.
THE NATION OF BLUE
THE NATION OF BLUE

Favorite College team: : KENTUCKY
Favorite NFL team: : CHICAGO BEARS

Back to top Go down

Post  AddctdGmbler Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:15 pm

Well, at least he'll be with much better company then. He's probably down there already though altering the peep hole on Erin Andrews' hotel door.
AddctdGmbler
AddctdGmbler

Back to top Go down

Post  THE NATION OF BLUE Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:18 pm

Yeah, I think Bobby will be here next month for one of the games doing the Saturday Gameday show. Can't wait to see that reception.
THE NATION OF BLUE
THE NATION OF BLUE

Favorite College team: : KENTUCKY
Favorite NFL team: : CHICAGO BEARS

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down