BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

#1 RB Picks USC

3 posters

Go down

#1 RB Picks USC Empty #1 RB Picks USC

Post  Carolina Kat Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:00 am

Worthy of praise: Lattimore picks USC
The state's best player will try to turn around the Gamecocks' stagnant running game

Written by JOSEPH PERSON
jperson@thestate.com

Posted on 02.02.10

SPARTANBURG
- Part of Auburn's recruiting pitch to Marcus Lattimore was the chance to play the Wildcat in the Tigers' offense.

Auburn recruiters told Lattimore he could be the next Darren McFadden, the ex-Arkansas tailback who thrived in the Wildcat when Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn was with the Razorbacks.

At South Carolina, Lattimore said he has the chance to be the first "Marcus" - and he hopes to begin working on that legacy ASAP.

Lattimore ended an intense recruiting battle Tuesday when he picked the home-state Gamecocks - but not before adding some last-second drama to the proceedings at Silver Hill United Methodist Church.

Lattimore, the Byrnes High tailback rated the nation's top running back prospect by Scout.com and Rivals.com, called former Auburn tailback and Spartanburg native Stephen Davis to the front of the sanctuary.

Davis gave Lattimore an Auburn hat. But Lattimore pulled out a Gamecocks hat from under the Auburn cap and put on the garnet hat, eliciting a loud ovation from the crowd of 300 as "Sandstorm" blared over the church's sound system.

Lattimore will hear that song a lot at Williams-Brice Stadium come September.

"There's only one goal on my mind, and that's to beat Southern Miss," Lattimore said, referring to the Gamecocks' opening-game opponent next season.

Lattimore's sister Eboni White graduated from USC last year, but Lattimore said he grew up rooting for LSU. Lattimore said USC was the best fit for him - and it didn't hurt that Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier felt comfortable around his family.

"That's where my heart is," Lattimore said of USC. "And (Spurrier) did the cha-cha slide with my Mama."

Lattimore, who was recruited by 30 schools before narrowing his list to USC and Auburn, said he finalized his decision last weekend after Spurrier's in-home visit, which included the dance with Lattimore's mother Yolanda Smith.

Smith initially danced with Spurrier at a Gamecocks' basketball game during Lattimore's official visit but promised him they would try it again with the right music.

"I felt like he needed to loosen up a little bit," Smith said. "I told him I would teach him to loosen his hips and that would loosen his whole body up."

Spurrier should be relaxed after the Gamecocks landed their biggest target on the eve of National Signing Day.

Lattimore, the state's 'Mr. Football' who ran for 1,898 yards and 31 touchdowns as a senior at Byrnes, will become the highest-rated to tailback to sign with USC since Lexington's Demetris Summers in 2003.

Summers and Derek Watson, another highly-touted, instate tailback, were dismissed from USC because of marijuana-related incidents. But Smith said she never had any disciplinary problems with Lattimore, the youngest of four siblings.

Lattimore said he would report to USC on June 1 for the start of summer school. He will wear No. 21, his number at Byrnes, and believes he will have an immediate chance to help a USC rushing attack that has ranked last in the SEC three years in a row.

"They know my skills and know what I can do," Lattimore said. "But I was never guaranteed a starting spot, I can tell you that. I think if I can come in and work hard enough I can be out there the first game."

In an interview following his visit to USC, Lattimore questioned the direction of USC's offense after Gamecock running backs had 10 rushes in the Papajohns.com Bowl loss to Connecticut. But Lattimore said Spurrier's offense will prepare him for the NFL because it requires him to pass block and catch passes out of the backfield.

And though Lattimore stressed that he is "just another piece to the puzzle" at USC, one of his future teammates said it is a big piece.

Boiling Springs quarterback Dylan Thompson, who will sign with the Gamecocks today, played against Lattimore every year since the two were in seventh grade. Thompson said Spurrier has emphasized the importance of landing Lattimore.

"That's what he's been telling us the whole time - Marcus is the missing piece," Thompson said. "And we all believe in that. Hopefully, that'll come true and in a couple of years we'll have some rings."

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down

#1 RB Picks USC Empty Re: #1 RB Picks USC

Post  Carolina Kat Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:03 pm

Landing Lattimore is sweet music for Spurrier
Steve Spurrier finally gets a recruiting coup his Gamecocks program needs. Running back Marcus Lattimore, No. 2 in SN's top 100 prospects, is a plum.

Ken Bradley

Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2010 - 10:24 p.m. ET

SPARTANBURG, S.C.
-- No one would blame South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier for doing a little dance Monday night after getting off the phone with five-star running back Marcus Lattimore.

On Tuesday night at his church and in front of a standing-room only audience, Lattimore chose South Carolina over Auburn. One of three five-star running backs in this class -- and the No. 2-ranked player in the SN100 -- Lattimore said South Carolina was the best fit for him. He said he made his decision Saturday after Spurrier's in-home visit and called the coach Monday night to inform him.

The secret to Spurrier's success closing the deal?

"He did the cha-cha slide for my momma," Lattimore said, laughing.

Spurrier's first five seasons in Columbia often have resembled to left feet trying to find rhythm -- his best season was 8-5 in 2006 and worst was 6-6 in 2007. In contrast, Spurrier never won fewer than nine games in 12 seasons at Florida, where he won seven SEC titles and a national championship.

Those Gators teams lit up the scoreboard. His Gamecocks, well, have not.

Spurrier has been able to lure high-profile receivers to South Carolina (Chris Culliver in 2007) and QB Stephen Garcia was a top recruit when he signed with the Gamecocks the same year. But it's running back where Spurrier has missed that marquee player.

Until now.

Lattimore will join a backfield marked with potential. Redshirt freshman Kenny Miles had 626 yards this past season and freshman Jarvis Giles 277. Brian Maddox also is in the mix.

Lattimore, who gained 6,375 yards and scored 104 TDs in high school, knows he must work for playing time.

"If I work hard enough, I can (start)," Lattimore said. "They know my skills. I was never guaranteed a starting spot, I can tell you that. If I work hard enough, I can be on the field that first game."

Count former NFL and Auburn running back Stephen Davis as a believer.

"I saw him since ninth grade," said Davis, who starred at nearby Spartanburg High School. "He's one of the best ... besides me."

If Davis couldn't convince Lattimore to go to Auburn, no one could. Besides playing at Auburn, Davis had an unpleasant experience with the Washington Redskins when Spurrier took over.

"I gave him a lot of advice that I would give anybody, whether they were going to Auburn or Carolina or Clemson," Davis said. "I put in a plug for Auburn. I love Auburn, but he made the decision that was right for him."

And judging by the reaction when he placed the South Carolina cap on his head, the decision was the right one for Gamecocks faithful.

"I believe in everything they're trying to do," Lattimore said of his new team. "I just can't wait."

Now Spurrier has another weapon, possibly his biggest since stepping on campus. If Davis and some 500 or so people who showed up to hear Lattimore's decision are right, he's that piece that will keep Spurrier dancing in Columbia.

Ken Bradley is a senior editor for Sporting News. Email him at kbradley@sportingnews.com.

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down

Post  cryptkeeper Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:59 pm

This kid will spend a majority of his career at sc on the sidelines with injuries. NO WAY will he get the kind of blocking at SC that he would have gotten at AU. One less weapon for AU when they play the Cats or Vols now Very Happy
cryptkeeper
cryptkeeper

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : COLTS-until manning leaves

Back to top Go down

Post  sohsdragon Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:39 am

Makes USC Sr. jealous.
sohsdragon
sohsdragon

Favorite College team: : Kentucky

Back to top Go down