BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quigley Runner-up in NCAA Mens' Tennis Singles Championship

Go down

Quigley Runner-up in NCAA Mens' Tennis Singles Championship Empty Quigley Runner-up in NCAA Mens' Tennis Singles Championship

Post  sohsdragon Mon May 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Full Article, video interview: http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-tennis/recaps/052812aaa.html

Quigley's Historic Career Ends with NCAA Runner-Up Finish
Eric Quigley falls to nation's top player in NCAA Singles Championship Final

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Eric Quigley's historic four-year career as a member of the University of Kentucky men's tennis team came to an end Monday in the NCAA Singles Final as he fell in a tight battle to No. 1 Steve Johnson of Southern California at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Ga. Johnson, who won the NCAA Singles title last season as well, earned late breaks in both the first and second sets to defeat the UK star 6-4, 6-4.

"I don't even know where to begin, it has been the best four years of my life," Quigley said about his career at Kentucky. "I never dreamed of accomplishing half the things that I was able to accomplish here. I really owe a lot to Cedric Kauffmann and Dennis Emery for all they have done for me. I don't really have words to describe the last four years. It's been a dream."

The impressive tournament run by Quigley put him in exclusive company, becoming only the third player in school history to play in the NCAA Singles Final. The UK star joins fellow All-Americans Jesse Witten and Carlos Drada as the only players to advance to the finals of the singles event. Witten was the last to claim the feat, making the finals of the event in 2002, while Drada made the finals in 2000. Witten and Drada both lost in the finals. All three finals appearances occurred under the director of Dennis Emery.
sohsdragon
sohsdragon

Favorite College team: : Kentucky

Back to top Go down