BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LSU's White sends letters of apology to UK's Davis and Calipari .

4 posters

Go down

LSU's White sends letters of apology to UK's Davis and Calipari  . Empty LSU's White sends letters of apology to UK's Davis and Calipari .

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:48 am

LSU's White sends letters of apology to UK's Davis and Calipari .

LSU forward Malcolm White sent letters of apology to Kentucky freshman Anthony Davis and Coach John Calipari this week. White apologized for the takedown of Davis that referees called a flagrant foul in UK's victory at LSU on Saturday. The referees ejected White.

In the letters, White said he acted out of frustration and not malice in taking down Davis, LSU Coach Trent Johnson said Thursday. The letters also stated that the flagrant foul did not reflect how Johnson runs the LSU program.

The flagrant foul came with 15:24 left in the second half. It followed a UK breakout that widened a 25-24 lead with barely three minutes left in the first half to 48-30 when White grabbed Davis from behind and flung him down to prevent a breakaway dunk.

Johnson said on a Southeastern Conference coaches' teleconference Monday that he immediately asked White as the player headed to the bench, "What are you doing?"

The LSU coach also said he tried to get Calipari's attention during the next television timeout to express regret.

Speculation arose after the game that the SEC might suspend White. But league spokesman Craig Pinkerton dismissed that idea.

"The game officials ruled the penalty on the play was a flagrant foul, which included the ejection of the offending player," Pinkerton wrote in an email. "Since the fighting rule was not invoked, there would be no further suspension."

After Kentucky beat Tennessee on Tuesday, Davis downplayed the significance of White's foul. The UK player said he did not come close to losing his composure at LSU.

"Not at all," he said. "... A hard foul is a hard foul. I just got right back up."

But Johnson said White's actions fell outside the acceptable bounds of basketball.

"It's one thing to be physical," the LSU coach said on the teleconference. "But it's another thing to be stupid."

Johnson did not rule out a suspension of White by LSU. Any such action would be handled "in house," the LSU coach said.

White, a 6-foot-9, 220-pound senior, averages 3.7 points, 2.4 rebounds and 11 minutes.

When asked Thursday if he would suspend White, Johnson said, "Time will tell."

LSU, which did not have a midweek game this week, next plays Saturday at home against Arkansas.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/02/02/2053807/lsus-white-sends-letters-of-apology.html#storylink=cpy
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

LSU's White sends letters of apology to UK's Davis and Calipari  . Empty Re: LSU's White sends letters of apology to UK's Davis and Calipari .

Post  stuckinknoxville Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:38 pm

They are making way too much about this. If you saw it you could tell he was not trying to hurt Davis. He was stopping the dunk because he was frustrated. They were right to throw him out of the game because it was an obvious attempt at the player and not the ball and the manner in which he did it could have caused harm to Davis but I didn't see ill intent. He could have slammed Davis down much harder than he did.

I see kids commit frustration fouls all the time. You have to address it, penalize them, but don't beat it into the ground.
stuckinknoxville
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

LSU's White sends letters of apology to UK's Davis and Calipari  . Empty Re: LSU's White sends letters of apology to UK's Davis and Calipari .

Post  MULECHOPS Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:35 am

stuckinknoxville wrote:They are making way too much about this. If you saw it you could tell he was not trying to hurt Davis. He was stopping the dunk because he was frustrated. They were right to throw him out of the game because it was an obvious attempt at the player and not the ball and the manner in which he did it could have caused harm to Davis but I didn't see ill intent. He could have slammed Davis down much harder than he did.

I see kids commit frustration fouls all the time. You have to address it, penalize them, but don't beat it into the ground.
It was a lowlife slimeball play. When you get "frustrated" you don't threaten someone's career!
MULECHOPS
MULECHOPS

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : Vikings

Back to top Go down

Post  UK Maine-Iac Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:50 am

stuckinknoxville wrote:They are making way too much about this. If you saw it you could tell he was not trying to hurt Davis. He was stopping the dunk because he was frustrated. They were right to throw him out of the game because it was an obvious attempt at the player and not the ball and the manner in which he did it could have caused harm to Davis but I didn't see ill intent. He could have slammed Davis down much harder than he did.

IDK about that. He didn't just grab Davis by the shoulders and pull him down. He made a show of it by throwing his hands out to the side first, which had ill intent written all over it, then yanked Davis down. White didn't try to stop the fall; Davis could've slapped his head against the floor. He didn't show remorse. This was far worse than Gayaetner stomping on Timberlake and we all know how that made Big Blue feel. It was a thug play. The kid doesn't need executed or anything, but a few games' suspension is completely justified. And if I was a coach, like LSU's coach, I'd take a long look at things and see if this kid needed to be on my team.
UK Maine-Iac
UK Maine-Iac

Favorite College team: : Who do you think?
Favorite NFL team: : Saints

Back to top Go down

Post  stuckinknoxville Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:42 pm

MULECHOPS wrote:It was a lowlife slimeball play. When you get "frustrated" you don't threaten someone's career!

Take your homer glasses off and see if you would say the same thing if it had been a UK player that did it.
Threaten his career? If he had wanted he could have pulled him down much harder. All he tried to do is stop him from going up for a free dunk.
stuckinknoxville
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

Post  stuckinknoxville Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:44 pm

UK Maine-Iac wrote:

IDK about that. He didn't just grab Davis by the shoulders and pull him down. He made a show of it by throwing his hands out to the side first, which had ill intent written all over it, then yanked Davis down. White didn't try to stop the fall; Davis could've slapped his head against the floor. He didn't show remorse. This was far worse than Gayaetner stomping on Timberlake and we all know how that made Big Blue feel. It was a thug play. The kid doesn't need executed or anything, but a few games' suspension is completely justified. And if I was a coach, like LSU's coach, I'd take a long look at things and see if this kid needed to be on my team.

Actually that's all he did. Look at it again. He only grabbed Davis by the shoulders, nothing else. He stopped as soon as he kept him from dunking. He could have easily slammed him down harder. It was stupid yes but if he had wanted he could have done much worse.
stuckinknoxville
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down