BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just For The Record...

2 posters

Go down

Just For The Record... Empty Just For The Record...

Post  Carolina Kat Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:45 am

This Will Make No Sense Unless I Do An Exceptional Job Explaining This But With The Conference Shake-Up As It Is, I Have To Say That I'm Really Super Glad That UK Is Part Of The SEC.

With the football program as it is currently this season and the long-term status of being always a second-tier program to basketball, it's good to already be a part of something dynamic like the SEC and not have to depend on the football portion of your department to carry the rest.

You look at Syracuse and Pitt who ran with hands waiving like a coward to the ACC because they were scared that their basketball program was going to fail them. And then UConn invites itself to the ACC and now Kansas may not have a home at all unless the Big 10 accepts them or what's left of the Big 12 merges with the Big 10. And in all of these cases, the football programs suck. Then you look at Iowa State and it gets worse.

TCU basically sells itself to the devil and joins the Big East last year. That says, we want football to succeed with UConn, Pitt, Syracuse and Boston University, which now two have bolted for the ACC and perhaps a third. So they look like a load of crap when perhaps they could have been a 14th member of the SEC. But now, unless things change agin, the Big 12 is going to have conference matchups in volleyball, soccer, baseball, etc., in the Northeast instead of playing teams like Baylor, TT, T A&M and etc.

Crazy how this is all changing and yet UK is there with all of its primary competition in a geographic region of the country with only one school so far with the name State on the backend. It's going to be interesting to see where everything settles but for now, I"m just glad that my two favorite programs, UK and USC are set in the SEC.

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down

Just For The Record... Empty Re: Just For The Record...

Post  jagator Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:24 am

As a football fan from a football school in a football conference, I understand that football is king of college sports and schools are trying to further their football interests. But as a fan of other sports such as basketball and baseball, this all sucks. What will basketball be like without the Big East? What are conference tournaments going to be like? How are minor sports going to survive if they have to travel all over the country to play conference games? All of this could have been avoided with a football playoff system. And what really sucks is we will have to lose several football rivalries when all the dust settles. OU-Texas could be gone. We already lost OU-Nebraska. I've heard UT-Bama is in jeopardy. I've heard ND could be ACC bound which could lose us SC-ND and ND-Michigan.

Oh and not sure what you meant by schools with State on the back end but I count two in the SEC, Mississippi State and LSU. Before it's all over we may have to count Florida State as well. Maybe even Oklahoma State.
jagator
jagator

Favorite College team: : Florida
Favorite NFL team: : Jacksonville

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolina Kat Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:44 am

I'm getting to be a bad counter Jag but LSU will always be an abbreviation in my mind anyway. Who cares what the S is?

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down