BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calipari: 'Something' holding Cats back

4 posters

Go down

Calipari: 'Something' holding Cats back Empty Calipari: 'Something' holding Cats back

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:53 pm

Calipari: 'Something' holding Cats back

LOUISVILLE – Kentucky coach John Calipari doesn’t think the Wildcats have reached their full potential. Not even close.
The Kentucky coach makes it no secret that he likes his team, which has won six of their first eight games, including a 72-58 win over Notre Dame in the SEC-Big East Invitational Wednesday night at Freedom Hall.
However, Calipari also knows something is lacking that’s preventing the Cats from advancing full throttle as the season progresses.
“We want to be great,” he said. “If we want to be great, there’s something holding us back.”
Following the loss to North Carolina last weekend, Calipari has been trying to get more of a handle and a feel for his team. He had individual and group meetings and other things Wednesday in an effort to get a better understanding of what it will take for the Wildcats to move beyond average to above average.
“It’s either trust, the lack of respect or maybe chemistry,” he said. “With the Miami Heat, its chemistry, so now they’re winning five in a row. Whatever is holding individuals back – trust, respect, chemistry, whatever it is - is also holding our team back a little bit. That being said, we’re still pretty good, but that’s our enemy.”
Calipari has been getting consistent production from his top two offensive threats in Terrence Jones and Brandon Knight, both of whom played big roles in the team’s last outing.
Against the Irish, Jones and Knight played beyond their freshman years against the more-experienced Notre Dame squad and combined for 47 points. Both players drew praise from Calipari, but the Kentucky coach would like to see more productive numbers from other members of the team, especially junior Darius Miller.
“Darius is not playing as well as he could, but he’s OK,” Calipari said. “I want you to look at him and say ‘wow.’ There’s something holding them back from you seeing that.
”I just want him to be one of those guys that everybody in the country talks about because he has that ability. He could be as good as anybody in the country. He can shoot it, he can handle it, he’s a smart kid and he’s got great athleticism, but there’s something in there that’s holding him back. I love coaching him, but he drives me crazy.”
Calipari hinted that a lack of trust is standing in between the status quo and reaching the next level.
“If I’m right, I think a little of it is trust,” he said. “They don’t talk enough, they don’t cover for each other enough, maybe chemistry, I don’t know. That’s why you play these games, to try and figure these things out.”
Despite the shortcomings, Calipari said the team’s first eight games have been a “fun run” with the exception of last weekend’s loss to the Tar Heels in Chapel Hill.
“The Carolina game ripped my heart out, because we had a chance to win, as bad as we played,” he said. “Against Connecticut, we needed to get smacked (and) against North Carolina, we learned a great lesson and if you do learn from them, losses are OK. I cannot stand to lose, I hate it, but there are times only crisis brings about change and that Carolina game was little bit of a crisis for us, because of how we played and how individuals played.”

Story by Keith Taylor
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Calipari: 'Something' holding Cats back Empty Re: Calipari: 'Something' holding Cats back

Post  Bho Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:50 am

“Darius is not playing as well as he could, but he’s OK,” Calipari said. “I want you to look at him and say ‘wow.’ There’s something holding them back from you seeing that.
”I just want him to be one of those guys that everybody in the country talks about because he has that ability. He could be as good as anybody in the country. He can shoot it, he can handle it, he’s a smart kid and he’s got great athleticism, but there’s something in there that’s holding him back. I love coaching him, but he drives me crazy.”

DING DING DING!!!!!! We Have a winner!!!!
Bho
Bho

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : Who Dey

Back to top Go down

Calipari: 'Something' holding Cats back Empty Re: Calipari: 'Something' holding Cats back

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:12 am

I don't know what its going to take to get him going, Most likely his butt sitting on the bench and not starting a few games, He hasn't showed me nothing on offense or defense, I have no clue why he keeps starting. But I'll leave it in Cal's hands.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bho Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:29 am

I agree with what Cali said last night, if he benches Miller, he will wilt. This is what frustrates me. He just seems very meek to me. He just stands around and hopes something good happens. The guy can do whatever he wants on the court. The problem is it seems like all he wants to do is watch. He didn't take a shot in the entire first half yesterday. That is unacceptable. He also logged 0 rebs and 0 assists in the first half. I was so excited when he said he was going to UK, but then he just shelled up. If he ever comes out, he will be great. If not, he will soon be forgotten.
Bho
Bho

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : Who Dey

Back to top Go down

Post  Californication Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:48 am

Who knows what the hell that clyde guy did to Darius. Does that have anything to do with it? Who knows? All I know is it drives me nuts to see him be a spectator for over 50% of his time on the floor. Obviously, I'm not alone. The whole world sees it, and sees how great he could be. Maybe Cal calling him out in public will be the kick in the ass he needs. I'll say it again. If he doesn't up his contribution, this team ain't doing nothing in March. If we get Enes, then we will be a totally different team. Either way, we need 13-15 and 6-8 boards, plus assists, from him every game.
Californication
Californication

Favorite College team: : duh
Favorite NFL team: : cowboys!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Californication Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:52 am

There will come a point, and I guess that point will be here sooner than later based on Cal's comments, that he will see his role diminished. If he isn't going to get it done, or show more aggression, might as well give his minutes to Poole or somebody else. He was simply dead weight offensively the entire first half last night. I don't see Cal accepting that much longer, especially when he knows what Darius can do.
Californication
Californication

Favorite College team: : duh
Favorite NFL team: : cowboys!!

Back to top Go down

Post  UK Maine-Iac Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:43 am

In other words, we're all saying, Free Darius.
UK Maine-Iac
UK Maine-Iac

Favorite College team: : Who do you think?
Favorite NFL team: : Saints

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down