BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forget about Kanter. He's ineligible.

+3
Californication
BestdamnUKfanperiod
MULECHOPS
7 posters

Go down

Forget about Kanter. He's ineligible. Empty Forget about Kanter. He's ineligible.

Post  MULECHOPS Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:28 pm

Share3 Updated: November 11, 2010, 6:26 PM ETEnes Kanter ruled ineligibleEmail Print Comments6 ESPN.com news services

Kentucky center Enes Kanter has been ruled ineligible for receiving illegal benefits while playing for a club basketball team in Turkey, the NCAA said in a statement on its website.

Kentucky will appeal the decision to the Division I Student-Athlete reinstatement committee at the end of the month.

Kanter played three seasons with the Turkish sport club Fenerbahce from 2006-07 to 2008-09. He competed primarily for the club's under-18 junior team, but did play on the club's senior team in 2008-09. According to facts agreed to by the university and the NCAA Eligibility Center, Kanter received $33,033 more than his expenses for the 2008-09 season.

Actual and necessary expenses are defined by NCAA rules and relate to a player's expenses directly necessary for practice and competition. Examples include meals and lodging directly tied to practice or competition, coaching, medical insurance and transportation tied to practice or competition.

The NCAA rule allows prospective student-athletes to compete on teams with professionals while maintaining their amateur status prior to college applies; however, the bylaw states any such benefits cannot exceed actual and necessary expenses.

"Enes took advantage of an opportunity to play at the highest level available to him, but the consequences of receiving payments above his actual expenses is not compatible with the collegiate model of sports that our members have developed," said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president of academic and membership affairs.

Last edited by MULECHOPS on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
MULECHOPS
MULECHOPS

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : Vikings

Back to top Go down

Forget about Kanter. He's ineligible. Empty Re: Forget about Kanter. He's ineligible.

Post  MULECHOPS Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:38 pm

I really hate the NCAA and everything they stand for. Its not the kids. ITS THE MONEY AND POWER. Fatten up NCAA you'll need to when the BCS sh-t hits the fan.
MULECHOPS
MULECHOPS

Favorite NFL team: : Vikings

Back to top Go down

Forget about Kanter. He's ineligible. Empty Re: Forget about Kanter. He's ineligible.

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:57 pm

This sucks big time! Unreal, we are going to be hurting at center, and just having 10 guys on the bench now.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:05 am

Nov. 11, 2010

NCAA Release

Click here to learn more about the NCAA Eligibility Center

INDIANAPOLIS - The NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff has ruled University of Kentucky men’s basketball student-athlete Enes Kanter permanently ineligible for receiving benefits above his actual and necessary expenses while playing for a club basketball team in Turkey.

The university will appeal the decision to the Division I Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee at the end of the month. The reinstatement committee is the final appeal opportunity in the initial-eligibility process. It is independent and comprised of representatives from NCAA member colleges, universities and athletic conferences and can reduce or remove the conditions, but it cannot increase the conditions imposed by the staff.

Actual and necessary expenses are defined by NCAA rules and generally relate to a player’s expenses directly necessary for practice and competition on a team. Some examples include meals and lodging directly tied to practice or competition, coaching, medical insurance and transportation tied to practice or competition.

Kanter played three seasons with the Turkish sport club Fenerbahce from 2006-07 to 2008-09. Although he competed primarily for the club’s under-18 junior team, he did compete on the club’s senior team in 2008-09. According to facts agreed to by the university and the NCAA Eligibility Center, Kanter received $33,033 more than his expenses for the 2008-09 season.

The new NCAA rule that allows prospective student-athletes to compete on teams with professionals while maintaining their amateur status prior to college applies; however, the bylaw states any such benefits cannot exceed actual and necessary expenses, which was the case here.

“Enes took advantage of an opportunity to play at the highest level available to him, but the consequences of receiving payments above his actual expenses is not compatible with the collegiate model of sports that our members have developed,” said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president of academic and membership affairs.

The reinstatement staff considers a number of factors when deciding each case. These include the nature and seriousness of the violation; any impermissible benefits received; the student-athlete’s level of responsibility; any mitigating factors presented by the university; applicable NCAA guidelines; and any relevant case precedent.

“We appreciate that the NCAA has an appeals process to allow this young man to defend the uniqueness of his circumstances,” said Mitch Barnhart, University of Kentucky director of athletics. “Enes is a great kid who is working hard in the classroom and enjoying being a college student. It is our hope that he will be allowed to continue his academic and athletic career at Kentucky.”

Kanter moved to the United States in 2009 and attended a prep high school before enrolling at Kentucky this fall.
NCAA student-athlete reinstatement guidelines allow Kanter to resume practicing but not compete or travel with the team while the appeal is pending.

SUMMARY OF TIMELINE

The NCAA Eligibility Center staff first contacted Kentucky in March 2010 and Enes Kanter directly on March 24, 2010, with questions about his involvement with a Turkish professional basketball team. From the beginning and throughout the process, the university and the NCAA conducted multiple interviews and compiled documentation pertinent to the case.

In June, the NCAA staff provided Kentucky and Kanter with information it received indicating Kanter received benefits from the Turkish team. In August, Kanter and his father acknowledged receiving those benefits. From August to mid-October, NCAA staff assisted Kentucky as it pursued its fair process with factual and interpretive appeals.

On Oct. 25, Kentucky agreed to the statement of facts in the case and on Oct. 27 asked the student-athlete reinstatement staff to rule on his eligibility. The staff, after an initial review, asked for more information on Nov. 1. Kentucky responded on Nov. 4 and 8, and the NCAA reinstatement staff made its decision on Nov. 11.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Californication Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:35 am

Eligible to practice now that he's ineligible? LMFAO. There is the appeal, but that's a very long shot. I just hope UK can show the additional money was to cover the family's expenses since he was a minor. If not, so long Enes. Now the NCAA can get back to the continuing investigation of Duke's Magbette who admitting receiving money from a booster, over 10 years ago. It was all chronicled in detail in court, where the booster, Myron Piggie wound up serving time. According to the NCAA, it is still under "INVESTIGATION". MOFO the NCAA.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=dw-ncaafavorites
Californication
Californication

Favorite College team: : duh
Favorite NFL team: : cowboys!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Californication Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:47 am

I've already sent three emails to NCAA.com telling them they can now concentrate to the ongoing investigion of Maggette in 2000. I never mentioned Enes. I'm not done either. This just pisses me off. They ignore the blatant foul of a Dukie, and now this. My BP may be a little high right now.
Californication
Californication

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:35 am

Are you guys getting tired of me being right all the time yet?
jagator
jagator

Favorite College team: : Florida
Favorite NFL team: : Jacksonville

Back to top Go down

Post  Californication Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:40 am

I have never had issue with you jagoff, but just get lost. You are sounding like big red. We'll still beat your gaytor asses.
Californication
Californication

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthernIndianaCatsFan Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:02 am

This is a tough break. We'll still be a good team, but nowhere near where we would have been with Kanter. There is still the possibility he gets cleared with the appeal, but it isn't likely. The only good thing is that the committe ruling on the appeal won't be the same ones the made the initial ruling. We can still hope.
SouthernIndianaCatsFan
SouthernIndianaCatsFan

Favorite NFL team: : Da Colts

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:29 pm

Californication wrote:I have never had issue with you jagoff, but just get lost. You are sounding like big red. We'll still beat your gaytor asses.

So that would be a yes then?

Look at it this way. It's not like you ever had him. So you didn't really lose anything.

When has big red ever been right? He certainly does not have my track record.
jagator
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  stuckinknoxville Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:47 pm

jagator wrote:

Look at it this way. It's not like you ever had him. So you didn't really lose anything.

The only one who can remember(or cares about) your track record is you. I sure as hell don't remember you ever being right about anything. And this was a pretty safe bet.

And you do sound like Red.
stuckinknoxville
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Dude Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:39 pm

Heard something on the radio that the 30 grand stated in the article is still sitting in a bank account that the Kanters didn't use and its all in tact. Anyone else know or hear about it?
Blue Dude
Blue Dude

Favorite College team: : Kentucky
Favorite NFL team: : Patriots

Back to top Go down

Post  Californication Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:35 am

I caught the tail end of that. They said over 20 K of that money went to his education. If they have supporting documentation for that, he has a chance.
Californication
Californication

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:43 am

stuckinknoxville wrote:
jagator wrote:

The only one who can remember(or cares about) your track record is you. I sure as hell don't remember you ever being right about anything. And this was a pretty safe bet.

And you do sound like Red.

Now you're just flat out lying. All you have to do is some scrolling on THIS TOPIC to find the latest example of my prognostication abilities. DO you really want me to refresh your memory on the three tons of other stuff I've been right about going back to the Fire Tubby days?
jagator
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down