BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burning Reggie Bush Won't Put Out NCAA Fires

Go down

Burning Reggie Bush Won't Put Out NCAA Fires Empty Burning Reggie Bush Won't Put Out NCAA Fires

Post  Carolina Kat Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:42 pm

Burning Reggie Bush Won't Put Out NCAA Fires

9/15/2010 1:20 PM ET By Lonnie White Senior NCAA Writer - Fanhouse
Burning Reggie Bush Won't Put Out NCAA Fires Reggie-420-91510

LOS ANGELES -- I always enjoy a good laugh whenever people act as if athletes receiving improper benefits are isolated incidents in college football.

Do you think that former USC standout Reggie Bush was the only high-profile player to take advantage of (wink-wink) gifts during the 2005 college football season? If so, I have a bridge in New York for sale that may interest you.

Don't get me wrong. Bush has only himself to blame for how his once glorified college career has turned into a mess. That's why no one really felt sorry for Bush when he forfeited his Heisman Trophy on Tuesday.

But has college football learned anything? I don't think so.

Based on the numerous allegations of illegal contact between agents and college players reported in the news over the past couple of months, things haven't changed much over the four years it took the NCAA to decide that Bush was "ineligible" for the 2005 season.

Just look at the major programs that have recently been called out. They include Alabama, North Carolina, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia and Michigan, and that's just scratching the surface. Trust me, nearly every top program in the nation has at least one player that will accept an illegal benefit this season. That's just the way of life in college football.

Incoming NCAA president Mark Emmert wants this practice to end and said that if rule-breaking is discovered, the school should expect a stern punishment.

I don't think that will happen.

That's because generations after generations have grown up knowing about the problem college football has had dealing with people making improper contact with players. It's been an issue for years.

If college football was serious about cleaning up, not only would every school be disciplined the same, but each accused program would be investigated with the same consistency.

Right now, it seems as if a main goal for the NCAA is to set an example through harsh punishment delivered to major rule violators.

That certainly appeared to be the case in June when USC was cited for lack of institutional control regarding numerous improper benefits for Bush and basketball player O.J. Mayo, who spent one year with the Trojans.

The penalties included the loss of 10 football scholarships a year for three years and vacating 14 victories in which Bush played from December 2004 through the 2005 season.

Tough sanctions for sure; however, it's not the first time that the NCAA delivered such a severe punishment.

Over the years, college football programs at Miami (Fla.), Southern Methodist, Houston and, of course, USC have all been sentenced to harsh penalties, but their punishments didn't have an impact in preventing athletes from accepting illegal benefits.

Why? Start looking at the NCAA's reluctant approach to previous violators.

Instead of creating an environment where athletes and administrators, who have been found guilty for breaking NCAA rules, can openly talk about their experiences, the NCAA forces each incident to be treated as a negative cloud never to be discussed.

This tactic really isn't smart because it only blocks young athletes from learning anything by previous mistakes made by former peers. It's doubtful that Bush knew about the details from previous NCAA investigations at USC and the effect it had on the players involved.

If Bush had known, it's possible that he would have made better off-the-field decisions when he played for the Trojans and would not have had to release a statement like this:

"I know that any young man fortunate enough to win the Heisman enters into a family of sorts. Each individual carries the legacy of the award and each one is entrusted with its good name," Bush said in the statement. "It is for these reasons that I have made the difficult decision to forfeit my title as Heisman winner of 2005."

Today, Bush is considered the poster child for what's wrong with college football. But by blocking Bush from any contact with his alma mater and treating him as the sports' No. 1 villain, the NCAA is totally missing out on an opportunity to teach an upcoming generation.

Bush goes back to his pro career, where he will try to help lead New Orleans to its second consecutive Super Bowl title. Just don't expect Bush to give any help to young players going through the college experience. And that's the true shame.

Here are three suggestions for the NCAA to implement in order to keep players from accepting improper benefits:

• Instead of cutting down the time coaches are allowed to be in contact with players, the NCAA should increase the time and make coaches more accountable in the lives of their players.

• Clean up a questionable NCAA investigation system. That means discontinue the practice of schools reporting on themselves with their own recommendations for punishment. A neutral, third-party system needs to be developed where football programs regularly face stern punishment for being lax in keeping track of their players

• Work the professional leagues and players' unions in finding a way to punish agents who make illegal contact with players. By creating lengthy bans for anyone involved in any improper relationships with a college player, a strong message will be sent throughout the sport.

• Finally. find a way to better compensate today's student-athletes. College football dominates the landscape when it comes to producing revenue. Getting money to the players legally would certainly help keep them from outside influences.

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down