BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wall’s climb involved clearing many hurdles

Go down

Wall’s climb involved clearing many hurdles Empty Wall’s climb involved clearing many hurdles

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:20 pm

Wall’s climb involved clearing many hurdles

There’s a reason John Wall has been tapped the No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 NBA draft for nearly a year. The desire is there. The work ethic is undeniable. And Wall has displayed a great deal of another characteristic not usually associated with phenoms: humility.

Wall worked out with two local college players at the UCLA Student Activities Center last week. So close to the NBA Finals, so close to the joining the list of heir apparents to Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, and Paul Pierce. But Wall realizes he is light-years away from their status.

While the immensely talented All-America point guard from Kentucky is expected to help resurrect the Washington Wizards, a franchise that needs as much good fortune as BP, Wall understands that he is far from a completed product.

His jump shot could use some work, though from what he displayed last week, it’s gotten better. His athleticism is impressive. His discipline is strong. The excitement for that June 25 moment is brimming.

Wall said he is also working out for the Philadelphia 76ers, who own the second pick — but no one expects him to last that long. He has franchise point guard skills, and with the recent success of Derrick Rose and Brandon Jennings, the Wizards unquestionably will place the fate of the organization primarily on Wall’s lanky shoulders.

He said he is preparing for that responsibility.

“I know it’s going to be a learning process and a tough time,’’ he said. “I know I am going to have to get adjusted to the defenses, the game plans the teams are going run on you.

“The key is going in and learning as much as I can in one year and try to give any advice if I am seeing something, basically trying to be a coach on the court.’’

Wall has become accustomed to mammoth responsibilities. He joined Kentucky after the Wildcats fired coach Billy Gillespie and hired John Calipari. Not only did Wall lead the Wildcats back to the NCAA Tournament — a bare-minimum requirement in the Bluegrass State — he helped the school reach the Elite Eight.

Wall handled the pressure of playing for the demanding Calipari as well as the pressure of being the nation’s best player. He has surrounded himself with mentors, organized by agent Dan Fegan, and has remained focused on working out instead of chasing shoe contracts or enjoying the glamorous life in Los Angeles.

Wall’s father died from liver cancer when John was 9 and the Raleigh, N.C., native said he went through years of rebellion. There were numerous school squabbles that led to him being labeled a problem child despite his improving basketball skills.Continued...

Losing my dad at the age of 9 and my mom having to take three or four jobs just to take care of us and how I had an attitude problem and fighting because of my dad passing has changed my attitude and how I matured as a person,’’ Wall said. “Elementary [school] and first two years of middle school, that’s all I did [was fight].
Discuss
COMMENTS (3)

“I had so much anger that I felt like I should take it out on other people instead of just taking it out on the basketball court.’’

During one troublesome stretch, Wall said, his high school coach attempted to put him back in a game that had become competitive after a 20-point lead, and Wall refused. He was benched the next two games. His mother, Francis Pulley, finally sat him down and told him that he if wanted to pursue basketball as a career, he had to control his emotions.

“She told me coaches are not going to want me if I have a bad attitude,’’ he said. “That was the key. I had to realize it ain’t about me, it’s about the team. And I felt I had to change for my dad. He was watching down over me and I wanted to play the game for him.’’

It was at that point that Wall began to blossom, and he received numerous honors during his year at Kentucky. But like many young point guards, Wall has mastered the ability to distribute and penetrate, but not shoot from the perimeter.

“I think my midrange has always been my best shot,’’ he said. “My 3-point shot has been kind of sketchy. It’s basically just having confidence in your shot and I feel like any time I get in the midrange area, I can make that shot.’’

Perhaps his most remarkable accomplishment was seizing leadership of a team filled with underclassmen. With DeMarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe, and Daniel Orton also facing high freshman expectations, Wall helped ensure the Wildcats would not become a team of individuals looking to boost their draft stock.

“Coach Cal, me, and Patrick [Patterson] were leaders and I didn’t come in there thinking I was a big shot and saying, ‘Give me the ball,’ ’’ Wall said. “I just wanted to get better as a point guard. I told guys, ‘Don’t worry about scoring 20, 30 points; one night it’s going to be your night and one night it’s going to be [another player’s] night.’ ’’

Wall is still a teenager. He spends most of his free time in Los Angeles playing “Splinter Cell’’ on Xbox, waiting to be introduced to the NBA world.

“I think it will be a [disappointment not to be selected first] but it wouldn’t hurt me as much because I’m still just happy to be in this situation,’’ he said. “I would be playing the game I love and would be able to take care of my family and myself.

“I visualize it in my sleep. Like I said, it’s a dream come true. If I ever look back to where my mom is, she will be in tears like it was raining outside. That will be a good sight to see.’’

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2010/06/06/walls_climb_involved_clearing_many_hurdles/?page=3
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down