BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

REPORT: Pac-10 Breaking Up Big 12

Go down

REPORT: Pac-10 Breaking Up Big 12 Empty REPORT: Pac-10 Breaking Up Big 12

Post  Carolina Kat Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:20 pm

Sec notebook

Report: Pac-10 makes first expansion move
Website says league may make a play for six Big 12 teams

Written by JOSEPH PERSON
jperson@thestate.com

Posted on 06.04.10

DESTIN, Fla. — While everyone was waiting for the Big Ten to make the first move in conference expansion, the Pac-10 might have beaten it to the punch.

According to a report Thursday on Texas’ Rivals.com site, the Pac-10 is prepared to invite six Big 12 schools to join the league: Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado.

The six schools would join Pac-10 members Arizona and Arizona State in one of two eight-team divisions, according to the report. The story on Orangebloods.com, citing an anonymous source, also said Texas A&M officials have had “serious conversations” with the SEC about joining that league.

When asked by the Houston Chronicle whether the SEC would be a possibility for the Aggies should the Big 12 break up, Texas A&M athletics director Bill Byrne said: “You know what? It might be.”

At his conference’s spring meetings, SEC commissioner Mike Slive would not comment on the Texas A&M speculation but said his position on expansion had not changed.

“We will continue to discuss expansion, but in our own terms,” Slive said. “We have to think about who we are and we’re a very special league with a very special fan base and we’ve had some very special success. We want to be very thoughtful and strategic about whatever happens.”

USC president Harris Pastides said he would like to see the SEC remain a 12-team league. But if expansion is inevitable, Pastides said he is intrigued by the idea of the SEC moving into Texas.

“I think going just further west, from the Louisiana border into Texas and maybe beyond there, it’s an opportunity,” Pastides said. “But I want to be clear: It’s appealing to me, but it’s appealing to me as a backup plan. If we can keep things the way they are, that’s what I’d like to do.”

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down