BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Cameron Is Britain's New Prime Minister

Go down

David Cameron Is Britain's New Prime Minister Empty David Cameron Is Britain's New Prime Minister

Post  Carolina Kat Tue May 11, 2010 10:50 pm

David Cameron Is Britain's New Prime Minister

Updated: 50 minutes ago

Theunis Bates, Contributor
AOL News

LONDON (May 11)
-- David Cameron was this evening named Britain's new prime minister by Queen Elizabeth II, less than an hour after Gordon Brown resigned as the country's leader. Cameron's appointment marks the end of 13 years of rule by Brown's center-left Labour Party, which came second in last week's general election to Cameron's center-right Conservatives.

Standing outside No. 10 Downing St. with his wife, Samantha, Cameron, 43, paid tribute to his predecessor.

"Before I talk about [the] new government, let me say something about the one that has just passed," the Conservative leader said. "Compared to a decade ago, this country is more open at home and more compassionate abroad, and that is something we should all be grateful for. And on behalf of the whole country, I would like to pay tribute to the outgoing prime minister for his long record of dedicated public service."

U.S. President Barack Obama telephoned the new prime minister and congratulated him on his "successful campaign ... and for becoming the new British prime minister". In a statement, Obama said that he used the call to reiterate his "deep and personal commitment to the special relationship between our two countries -- a bond that has endured for generations and across party lines, and that is essential to the security and prosperity of our two countries, and the world." The prime minister is now expected to visit the White House. in July.

Cameron, the youngest prime minister in almost 200 years, said he intends to "form a proper and full coalition" government with the center-left Liberal Democrats. Although the Conservatives won the most seats the election, they came just short of the overall majority needed to push policies through the House of Commons without the Lib Dems' support. The Tory leader said governing a coalition would be "hard and difficult work" but added that he and Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg would "put aside party differences and work hard for the common good and the national interest."

He said his most pressing concerns were the deficit -- which is at its highest level since World War II, coincidentally the last time Britain was ruled by a multiparty government -- social problems and rebuilding "trust in our political system." Cameron said there were "difficult decisions" ahead but that he would take the British people through them to "better times ahead."

Shortly before Cameron addressed the world's press, senior members of the Conservative Party and the Liberal Democrats finalized a deal to build a coalition government.

In return for the Lib Dems agreeing to join them in government, the Conservatives have offered the smaller party several important concessions. As well as offering a referendum on electoral reform -- the voting system here currently favors the two largest parties -- Tory sources this evening told the BBC that four senior Liberal Democrats will be rewarded with important ministerial posts. Clegg will also be named deputy prime minister.

The deal has now been handed to the parties' members of Parliament for approval. It is expected to pass easily.

It has been a tumultuous 24 hours in British politics. Brown's announcement Monday that he would step down -- after a new Labour leader had been chosen -- led many commentators to suspect that a coalition was about to be formed between his party and the Lib Dems, as Clegg had demanded the removal of the unpopular prime minister as the price of any deal. The center-left Lib Dems are far closer in ideology to Labour than the Conservatives are, and many party members worry that their supporters would feel betrayed if they signed up with Cameron and his Tories.

However, throughout the day, a growing number of Labour and Liberal Democrat members started to speak out against such an alliance. David Blunkett, who served as home secretary under Prime Minister Tony Blair, said that as Labour came second in the election, a deal between the two parties would be regarded by voters as "a coalition of the defeated." And Health Minister Andy Burnham told the BBC that Labour had to "respect the results of the general election, and we can't get away from the fact that Labour didn't win."

When it finally became clear that a Liberal-Labour coalition could not be formed, Brown declared he would stand down and make way for Cameron.

"I wish the next prime minister well as he makes the important choices for the future," Brown said outside the prime minister's residence at No. 10 Downing St., shortly before heading to Buckingham Palace to hand in his resignation to Queen Elizabeth. "Only those who have held the office of prime minister can understand the full weight of its responsibilities and its great capacity for good. I have been privileged to learn much about the very best in human nature and a fair amount too about its frailties -- including my own."

Hit by parliamentary scandals and a crumbling economy, Brown's popularity ratings almost instantly started to slump when he took over as prime minister from Blair three years ago. Before that, he served as head of Britain's treasury under Blair for 10 years. But his farewell speech was one of great dignity and grace, and showed a human side rarely displayed in public. Looking clearly emotional, he thanked his aides for their unflinching support and his wife, Sarah, "for her unwavering love." Sources close to Brown said he will resign from politics and work for charity or as a lecturer.

"As I leave the second most important job I could ever hold, I cherish even more the first, as a husband and father," he said as he left No. 10 Downing St. for the last time. "Thank you and goodbye."

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down