BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seth Curry Is All-The-Talk Of Dookieville

Go down

Seth Curry Is All-The-Talk Of Dookieville Empty Seth Curry Is All-The-Talk Of Dookieville

Post  Carolina Kat Sun May 02, 2010 6:08 pm

At Duke, a Curry is talk of the town

By Caulton Tudor
caulton.tudor@newsobserver.com

Posted: Sunday, May. 02, 2010

There were times during the 2009-10 Duke basketball season when the backstage buzz wasn't entirely about the group of players who would eventually win a national championship.

Occasionally the topic was transfer Seth Curry, and the talk always related to shooting range.

"He makes them from everywhere and anywhere," Duke senior Lance Thomas said during the Blue Devils' NCAA run.

At various times, Jon Scheyer and Nolan Smith made the same observation, as did others who tried to cover the former Liberty guard during scrimmages.

"I think I'm a good shooter, and it's great to hear those things, but there's more to the game than that," Curry said last week. "Those other things are what I'm working on, especially defense."

After averaging 20.2 points per game and winning the Big South Conference's top-freshman award in 2008-09, Curry became the third transfer to enter Duke's program during Mike Krzyzewski's 30 seasons.

The previous two - Roshown McLeod in 1995 from St. John's and Dahntay Jones in 2000 from Rutgers - went on to gain first-team all-ACC recognition. With three seasons left, Curry could follow the same route.

One thing is certain; he's growing up fast - literally.

"I knew right away I had to get stronger and put on some weight," Curry said. "When I got here, I was 6-1 and 168 pounds. Right now, I'm 6-2 and 182. The extra size I think has improved my stamina."

As a high school player at Charlotte Christian, Curry displayed virtually the same shooting skills his brother Stephen used to become an all-American at Davidson. But that lack of size led ACC schools to take a pass when scholarships were extended. It was the same misjudgment that led the ACC to write off Stephen Curry, who averaged 17.5 points as an NBA rookie with Golden State in 2009-10.

Seth Curry shuns comparisons to his older brother, but it's worth noting that he scored 26 points in leading Liberty to a victory at Virginia in 2008-09.

"I thought all along I could play at this level, but you have to get the chance," Curry said. "I know it's going to be tougher, though."

Before Curry spent the season watching and cheering from the bench, he provided a preview of his potential on the USA Under-19 team last summer that won the world title during a tournament in New Zealand.

On that same team was Gordon Hayward, the Butler star whose last-second shot almost defeated the Blue Devils in the NCAA title game. Curry and Hayward were the team's best perimeter shooters throughout the tournament.

While Curry says he has a lot of defensive improvement to make, there's every reason to think he'll have an important role in 2010-11. "I see myself as a combo guard," he said. "I think I can play the point if needed, and I think I can play on the wing. In our system, everyone needs to be able to do more than just one thing, anyway."

Regardless of where, when and how much he plays, Curry says he can't wait.

"It was the most frustrating year I've ever been through but also the most exciting," he said. "I wanted to be out there so bad I had trouble sitting still."

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down