BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vols Pick Teams For Spring Game

Go down

Vols Pick Teams For Spring Game Empty Vols Pick Teams For Spring Game

Post  Carolina Kat Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:21 am

Dooley adds twists to Vols' spring game

Written by BETH RUCKER
The Associated Press

Posted on 04.16.10

KNOXVILLE, Tenn.
| Tennessee fans wanting to observe Derek Dooley's coaching skills will have to wait until fall. The first-year coach is sitting out the Orange and White game.

Dooley decided to add his own fun to the Volunteers' annual spring scrimmage on Saturday by letting the senior Volunteers draft the two teams and bringing in a few "celebrities" from the media and university to do the coaching.

"We had a great draft Wednesday night. The players were really into it," Dooley said. "I'm looking forward now to just sitting back and watching. Everything's out of my hands."

Just because Dooley won't be in charge, doesn't mean the Vols didn't take things seriously when creating their teams.

The Orange team, drafted by senior tight end Luke Stocker, will feature wide receiver Gerald Jones, tailback David Oku and linebacker LaMarcus Thompson and will be quarterbacked by Matt Simms.

Senior defensive end Chris Walker drafted the White team, which includes defensive tackles Marlon Walls and Montori Hughes, tailback Tauren Poole and quarterback Tyler Bray.

"We took it really seriously," White said. "We wanted to get the best players we could get. I love it. It's actually going to be a real game, so we're going to have a lot of fun."

The most anticipated performances will be those of Simms and Bray, both new to the Tennessee system. With Nick Stephens out of the picture after leaving the program, Simms and Bray are in direct competition for the starting role in the fall.

Simms said the quarterbacks are ready to show off what they've learned in these past few weeks of spring practice.

"Even though it hasn't been that long, you can definitely see a change," he said. "I'm just trying to take more of a leadership role and just be more consistent with my play and with my decision making.

"The goal Saturday is just to end spring practice well and on a good foot."

Even with the interest in the quarterbacks, the Vols have several offensive players who could end up stealing the show.

Poole is poised to become Tennessee's feature running back now that Montario Hardesty and Bryce Brown are gone. He's dominated the Vols' two other spring scrimmages, averaging 9 yards in 20 carries and scoring three touchdowns.

Freshman wide receiver Matt Milton, who enrolled at Tennessee in January, has used his imposing 6-foot-6, 207-pound frame to make himself a favorite target of the quarterbacks. Junior Denarius Moore has been on the receiving end of several long passes.

"I'm not sure how many guys have arms big enough to overthrow that guy. He'll go get just about anything down the field," Simms said.

The scrimmage marks the end of Tennessee's spring practice session. The Vols will immediately begin their summer workout program Monday.

Dooley said the practices have been successful, and the Vols have proven to him they want to work hard and win.

"I really feel good about the 14 days of work we put in," he said. "I feel like I have a very good handle on our personnel. I feel like our staff has a good feel for some of the things we can do well and some of the things we better stay out of."

NOTES: Former Tennessee stars will compete in a flag football game during halftime of the Orange and White scrimmage. Among those participating include NFL standouts Al Wilson, Peerless Price and Terry Fair. "It (is) a great way to bring the past, current and future together under the same setting," Fair said.

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down