BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NBC Late Night in Shambles

Go down

Who's to blame?

NBC Late Night in Shambles I_vote_lcap83%NBC Late Night in Shambles I_vote_rcap 83% 
[ 5 ]
NBC Late Night in Shambles I_vote_lcap17%NBC Late Night in Shambles I_vote_rcap 17% 
[ 1 ]
NBC Late Night in Shambles I_vote_lcap0%NBC Late Night in Shambles I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 6

NBC Late Night in Shambles Empty NBC Late Night in Shambles

Post  Blue Dude Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:41 am

The following is just my opinion, don't want to start a debate, just want to see how others feel.

Ok, so everyone knows the deal. Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien in a fuss over the 11:35 time slot. Some people are blaming Conan, some blaming Jay, but really they need to be blaming the Network.

Let's take a look at it. A couple years ago, NBC realized that Conan O'Brien's contract was going to expire, so, in a haste and rush to keep Conan, they give him a deal where they promise him the Tonight Show. A fair promise and a good incentive for staying, but what about Leno who's been on the flagship late night show for NBC for about 10+ years at that point? Well, NBC in their great brightness thought it'd be a good idea, instead of letting Jay walk away when he wants to, would be forced out in the middle of 2009, turning things over to Conan.

NBC has Jay announce it, and everyone could tell on that broadcast, while Jay was being professional, he didn't seem to keen on leaving and a couple years later, before the take over was to take place, reports came out stating Leno was wanting to do the job longer. What'd NBC do? Let the deal ride instead of amending it to allow Leno to leave on his own accord, ala Johnny Carson and THEN turning the show over to Conan, which in my opinion is only fair because of Leno's longevity of service to the network and the fact he was kicking CBS' answer, The Late Show w/ David Letterman's ass on a consistent basis.

Don't get me wrong, I like Conan O'Brien, and I think he's fine human being, and no way fault him for whats going on now. I don't fault Jay Leno, who also means well. I just feel the network should of came up with a better plan than what they did because I could see the backlash and panic that would ensue. Conan losing to Letterman and Jay's new show not doing well at all at 10pm, so naturally NBC is going to panic, herego the current problem.

The take over plan was a good idea, it's timing of when it would happen and execution are what caused it to fail. Telling a guy who should of been respected for his service to the network for 10+ years his time is up, before he's ready to hang it up in favor to retain another guy and not only that give him the original guy's job just rubs me wrong. I mean, you wouldn't see CBS DARE to tell Letterman to take a hike in favor of giving his chair to Craig Ferguson, who is another fine talent, unless Letterman majorly screws up some way.

But all in all, Jay Leno nor Conan O'Brien is to blame, NBC is. If it were up to me, I'd put Jay back on the Tonight Show, Conan back on Late Night and tell that no talent hack Jimmy Fallon thanks for playing and tell the first two guys Conan gets Jay's chair, when Jay wishes to retire, which should of been the agreement in the first place so that way there aren't any problems. Thanks for reading.
Blue Dude
Blue Dude

Favorite College team: : Kentucky
Favorite NFL team: : Patriots

Back to top Go down