BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vitale: Kentucky duo brings excitement back to bluegrass

2 posters

Go down

Vitale: Kentucky duo brings excitement back to bluegrass Empty Vitale: Kentucky duo brings excitement back to bluegrass

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:23 am

Vitale: Kentucky duo brings excitement back to bluegrass
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/columnist/vitale/2010-01-11-vitale-midseason_N.htm

Now that the preconference schedule is about wrapped up, and many teams loaded up on those cupcakes, it is time to find out which are pretenders and which are contenders.

A lot of clubs have put up gaudy records in nonleague play. I think you get the picture as we now find out how legit these teams really are. We are in league competition, and that is where you separate the quality teams from those that are merely mediocre.

It is also a time I love as I will play the role of professor Dickie V. That's right, it is back to school time, baby! It is time to give some special PTPer awards and honors from the pre-conference season.

Give me a drum roll, maestro. Please pass the envelope…here is the first category as the PTPer (Prime Time Performer) for coaching. Let me go to my VBDI (Vitale Bald Dome Index) to analyze the winners.

TUESDAY: Bledsoe, No. 2 Kentucky contain Florida
TOP 25 POLL: Texas, Kentucky lead way ahead of Kansas

There are a number of outstanding candidates in this category. Think about the amazing job being done by Jim Boeheim (Syracuse), Coach K (Duke), Matt Painter (Purdue), Rick Barnes(Texas) andJay Wright (Villanova).

Also, an unknown in the coaching fraternity, Frank Martin (Kansas State), has made a positive impression despite losing Saturday at Missouri. Kansas State has a terrific backcourt in Denis Clemente and Jacob Pullen.

I can't wait to get to Manhattan, Kansas with our GameDay crew when the Jayhawks invade Wildcat Country on Jan. 30.

In addition, accolades are deserved for Frank Haith of Miami as the Hurricanes are a surprising 15-1 as they get ready to meet Virginia Tech on Wednesday.

My choice is the flamboyant, controversial Kentucky leader, John Calipari.

He has created a frenzy in Lexington by recruiting blue-chippers and teaching them how to play defensively and as a unit offensively.

Oh, I can hear the cries now from the Calipari critics. They will complain that he should win with all of that talent. Let's give the first-year coach credit for facing the challenge of taking on every opponent's best shot.

Even a loss to an SEC rival would not change my mind about picking Calipari and the job he's done with a young team.

Now for the midseason pick for player of the year. It is really a tough call, but I am staying in the Bluegrass State.

Diaper Dandy John Wall has been Mr. Clutch. He has wielded his magic in magnificent fashion, especially in key moments. Go ask Jim Calhoun, Roy Williams and Rick Pitino about Wall's value to the 'Cats!

Wall could follow the lead of Texas superstar Kevin Durant, who was not only the Diaper Dandy of the Year, but won the Naismith and Wooden Awards in his lone season on the college hardwood.

I give the nod to Wall over Luke Harangody of Notre Dame, Sherron Collins of Kansas, Jon Scheyer of Duke and Damian James of Texas.

Now for some other special accolades:

Diaper Dandy: Wall, though there have been great performances from Xavier Henry of Kansas, Georgia Tech's Derrick Favors, Lance Stephenson of Cincinnati, Avery Bradley of Texas and Kenny Boynton of Florida.

My midseason Elite Eight All-Solid Gold performers:

Wall, Harangody, Scheyer, James, Collins, James Anderson (Oklahoma State), Ed Davis (North Carolina) and Greg Monroe (Georgetown).

My best All-Marco Polo, a transfer with a major impact:

Wesley Johnson of Syracuse

Best backcourt tandem:

Nolan Smith and Scheyer (Duke). They have been the most efficient game in and game out.

Best frontcourt:

Kansas, with the combination of Cole Aldrich, Henry and the Morris twins, Marcus and Markieff.

Best conference:

Big East. Its depth is unreal as teams must lace 'em up and come to play every game, with intensity and emotion or you will leave with an L.

Best game-winning shot:

The approximately 65-footer by Florida's Chandler Parsons to beat N.C. State at the buzzer, 62-61. Nic Wise's buzzer-beating trifecta for Arizona against Lipscomb was a close second.

Heartbreak Hotel Award:

Ohio State losing star Evan Turner for two months. He was having a super season and could have made All-Solid Gold if he was healthy. Great news that he has returned to the Buckeyes' lineup as he is a major impact player.

Unsung big men on campus:

They need some ink, baby! Aubrey Coleman (Houston); Jeremy Hazell (Seton Hall); Quincy Pondexter (Washington); Elliot Williams (Memphis); Luke Babbitt (Nevada), Dexter Pittman (Texas).

Remember, these are the midseason awards. Yours truly, Professor Dickie V, will announce the ones that really count, the postseason honors after the season.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Vitale: Kentucky duo brings excitement back to bluegrass Empty Re: Vitale: Kentucky duo brings excitement back to bluegrass

Post  CatfandownSouth Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:12 pm

No love for Pat? Shocked
CatfandownSouth
CatfandownSouth

Favorite College team: : Kentucky, Murray State
Favorite NFL team: : Jacksonville Jaguars

Back to top Go down