BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playing At UK An Escape And A Blessing For Mark Krebs

2 posters

Go down

Playing At UK An Escape And A Blessing For Mark Krebs Empty Playing At UK An Escape And A Blessing For Mark Krebs

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:24 am

Playing At UK An Escape And A Blessing For Mark Krebs

If you want to know why Kentucky basketball is so special, look no further than Mark Krebs.

After being a walk-on for two different coaches at UK, John Calipari awarded him a scholarship this season. It wasn't just a pleasant surprise, it was truly a blessing.

Mark's mother has terminal breast cancer. Doctors gave her nine months to live. That was eight years ago. His mother, who Mark calls a fighter, has soldiered on to watch her kids grow. She welcomed her first grandchild into the world, and now her next milestone is making it to see her son's senior day at Kentucky.

Krebs, a sharp shooter out of Northern Kentucky, looked at several smaller schools to go to college. He went to Thomas Moore for a while, but had the urge to go to UK.

He made it as a walk-on with Tubby Smith. He stayed through Billy Gillispie's two seasons in Lexington and now watches from the bench as he roots on the second-ranked team in America. He wouldn't have it any other way.

"Not a chance," said Krebs.

"Right now I will sit on that bench and I will be the biggest fan of my teammates. I'm a part of it and I'll help them out however they want it. If i was playing 30 minutes a game right now, if I was doing good, that would be fine, but right now I'm having a blast."

It was something he originally didn't think was possible. Krebs grew up loving Kentucky and dreamed of playing for his beloved Cats.

"Even in high school I never realized that I could actually play here so it's like a dream that hasn't actually got into my mind and made sense yet, but it's happening and it's unbelievable," said Krebs.

Playing for Kentucky has been an escape for Krebs from the constant fear of his mother dying. So far, it's been his greatest joy. It's a blessing that hasn't been lost on him.

"I'm pretty lucky. Assistant coach (John) Robic always asks me 'Who's got it the best', and i'm like 'This guy, this guy's got it the best."
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Playing At UK An Escape And A Blessing For Mark Krebs Empty Re: Playing At UK An Escape And A Blessing For Mark Krebs

Post  Californication Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:01 am

I pray his mother lives to see that senior day, and that she continues to defy the odds and see his children born. What a great story.
Californication
Californication

Favorite College team: : duh
Favorite NFL team: : cowboys!!

Back to top Go down