BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Happy' or not, broken-record Cal would have to take this call

+4
2.1 Seconds
OBXWildcat
woodywoodwick
BestdamnUKfanperiod
8 posters

Go down

'Happy' or not, broken-record Cal would have to take this call Empty 'Happy' or not, broken-record Cal would have to take this call

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:55 pm

'Happy' or not, broken-record Cal would have to take this call

Two different college coaches.

Two different comments about the Nets opening.

One did nothing to squash rumors, the other just about everything.

"The guy's Russian, right? You think he'd hire a Polish guy?" said Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, who is reportedly a target of the Nets' prospective buyer, Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov. "No one's contacted me, and if they do, I think 'nyet' would be easy for me to say."

To recap, Krzyzewski referred to a billionaire with a huge ego as "the guy" after Duke's win over Maryland on Saturday, and Krzyzewski stated that if he's contacted he'll say no, and that he'll say no in Russian, just so everything's clear. That's a denial, my friends. Meantime, Kentucky's John Calipari basically recycled a quote he's used for years.

"I'm happy," Calipari told the assembled media in Kentucky on Friday. "This school is committed. As long as they're committed to me and this basketball program, where would I want to go?"

That sounds like a good quote on the surface. But in 2006, Calipari was similarly asked about reports linking him to jobs, and he said he would stay at Memphis as long as Memphis was "fair" and committed to having a "top 10 basketball program."

"Why would I leave?" Calipari said. "We have a top 10 program. Why would I choose to leave?"

Needless to say, Memphis never stopped being "fair" with Calipari, and it certainly never dropped its commitment to being a "top 10 basketball program," proof being how the school tried to make Calipari the richest coach in the sport even after an NCAA investigation was launched. Still, he left for Kentucky last year, just days after delivering the following quote to the assembled media in Memphis: "I'm happy, happy with the program, happy with the people. I love Memphis. ... I want to be here."

Just so we're clear, I have no idea if the Nets will make an offer to Calipari, or if the franchise could lure Calipari's good friend LeBron James to join him. It's all speculative at this point. But the message I've received from some Kentucky fans is this: Calipari's words are true now, even though the same words weren't true before, because he had to leave Memphis for Kentucky because the Kentucky job is better, but that he wouldn't leave for the Nets because his current job is better than the Nets job, too.

I agree with the first part.

Nobody would deny that the Kentucky job is better than the Memphis job, but I'm not sure the UK job is better than the Nets job, particularly if the Nets get the No. 1 pick and have a chance to lure James. What Calipari would be comparing is having to recruit 17-year-olds while opposing fans call him a cheater and columnists raise doubts about the legitimacy of any accomplishments, to perhaps coaching John Wall (possible No. 1 pick in the 2010 NBA Draft) and LeBron James (possible Net via free agency) in the New York market for an owner who has deep pockets and is determined to win.

Advantage: Nets.

In fact, I'd argue that coaching James over the next seven years will be the best job in all of coaching because you're practically guaranteed championships, and please don't ask me how many titles James has won to date. That's silly. He's just now 25, just now entering his prime, and Michael Jordan didn't win his first of six championships until he was 28. If you don't think James is winning titles over the next seven years, you're crazy or stupid, or just crazy stupid. It's not even worth debating.

Again, I have no idea if the Nets want Calipari.

No idea if they'll win the lottery and get Wall.

No idea if they can lure James.

But if they can lure James, Calipari would be foolish not to listen if they called.

Which is why he'd listen.

And how "happy" he is at Kentucky wouldn't matter one bit.

For more from Gary Parrish, check him out on Twitter: @GaryParrishCBS
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

'Happy' or not, broken-record Cal would have to take this call Empty Re: 'Happy' or not, broken-record Cal would have to take this call

Post  woodywoodwick Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:11 pm

I saw this the other day, and it makes me worry.
woodywoodwick
woodywoodwick

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : Steelers

Back to top Go down

'Happy' or not, broken-record Cal would have to take this call Empty Re: 'Happy' or not, broken-record Cal would have to take this call

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:36 pm

I don't see him going anywhere for a while, I really believe he wants to win that National Championship, screw the NBA.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OBXWildcat Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:23 am

Only scenario I see that has him leaving:
1) UK has to win it all this year, and
2) The Nets would have to have the right players to give Cal a legit shot at an NBA title in the 1st year (just like UK)

Money will not be the reason. The good people of the commonwealth would pass a couple hundred million dollar bond referendum just to keep him if needed. Something historic, like winning back to back championships in 2 different leagues, now that would prolly interest him.
OBXWildcat
OBXWildcat

Favorite NFL team: : Cincinnati Bengals

http://www.pizzazzpizza.net

Back to top Go down

Post  2.1 Seconds Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:19 am

He's gonna "Kiffin" us.

2.1 Seconds

Back to top Go down

Post  AddctdGmbler Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:22 am

I just spoke with UKFreak's inside source and he says that Cal is 92.4% gone. You can take this to the bank. He also said that Cal may stay but said that percentage is only around 88%. Either way, this guy knows his stuff. Wink
AddctdGmbler
AddctdGmbler

Favorite College team: : Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : Colts

Back to top Go down

Post  Fossten Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:06 pm

AddctdGmbler wrote:I just spoke with UKFreak's inside source and he says that Cal is 92.4% gone. You can take this to the bank. He also said that Cal may stay but said that percentage is only around 88%. Either way, this guy knows his stuff. Wink
OMG, and our next coach is from Princeton!
Fossten
Fossten

Favorite NFL team: : Cowboys

Back to top Go down

Post  bcking00 Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:57 am

No way Cal will leave. I think he likes Kentucky. He likes the way he is treated. He has tried the NBA and it left a bad taste in his mouth. I think Cal wants his legacy to be more than a traveling coach. I think he is here for a long time. I think he has finally found a home.

BK
bcking00
bcking00

Favorite NFL team: : Cincinnati Bengals

Back to top Go down

Post  cryptkeeper Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:49 pm

I think it's 50/50 on what he does. It would be interesting if someone could find an article done on Coach Cal done when/or before he got into coaching and find out what his "dream" job would be, college or pro ball??

Some coaches prefer one over the other, just curious what his preference was way back then.
cryptkeeper
cryptkeeper

Favorite NFL team: : COLTS-until manning leaves

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down