BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liggins confident, comfortable

Go down

Liggins confident, comfortable Empty Liggins confident, comfortable

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:45 am

Liggins confident, comfortable

By Keith Taylor/Sun Sports Editor
February 11, 2010

LEXINGTON — DeAndre Liggins is growing up. Fast.

Liggins has blossomed into a solid contributor for the third-ranked Wildcats, an indication the sophomore guard is doing what it takes to earn time on the court behind the scenes.

“I’ve accepted my role,” he said. “I have a great deal of confidence right now.”

And it shows.

Liggins tallied eight points and grabbed seven rebounds in 26 minutes during Kentucky’s 66-55 triumph over Alabama earlier this week at Rupp Arena. Aside from his scoring and rebounding contributions, Liggins dished out an assist, had a block, a steal and just two turnovers against the Crimson Tide.

When Kentucky coach John Calipari calls his name during contests, Liggins simply wants to give his team a spark when he steps on the floor.

“I just want to provide energy, rebound, defend, make the easy play and shoot the open shots,” he said.

Liggins missed the first nine games, but has been a mainstay since the team opened play in the Southeastern Conference and has been making up for lost time.

Liggins said having teammates like John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins has been beneficial, especially when opponents zero in on Kentucky’s top two freshmen.

“They’re great players,” he said. “When (opponents) put pressure on them, it opens it for me to knock down shots and make plays. It has elevated my game a lot.”

Last summer, Liggins worked on his perimeter shooting and has made several clutch shots from long range since he's been coming off the bench.

“I worked on that a lot,” Liggins said. “It just shows how hard work pays off.”

The Wildcats are aware of the hype surrounding Saturday’s showdown against Tennessee, but Liggins is confident the Wildcats will deliver on the big stage.

“It’s great, but we’ve got to have great preparation for that game,” he said. “We know a little bit about them from last year, but I’m sure the coaches will have a great game plan for them.”

http://www.winchestersun.com/stories/2010/02/11/spo.907606.sto
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down