BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK Basketball: Cats learning how to grind it out

Go down

UK Basketball: Cats learning how to grind it out Empty UK Basketball: Cats learning how to grind it out

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:40 am

UK Basketball: Cats learning how to grind it out

By Keith Taylor/Sun Sports Editor
February 10, 2010

LEXINGTON — The grind of a long season is setting in at Kentucky.

That could explain why the third-ranked Wildcats had trouble putting away pesky Alabama in a 66-55 triumph over the Crimson Tide Tuesday night at Rupp Arena.

It also could explain why the Wildcats committed 16 turnovers — most of them unforced — and played on cruise control.

At the “end of the day” it was another win for the Wildcats in an unusual kind of way.

“There was effort, but there wasn’t great play — top to bottom,” Kentucky coach John Calipari said afterward.

In between the top and bottom, the Cats had more talent than the Crimson Tide and survived a possible scare.

In what has been an up-and-down and character-building ride for freshman sensation John Wall, the point guard came through for the Wildcats during a struggle on both ends of the floor.

Wall had six miscues and just two assists, but his shot selection was a big reason the Wildcats were able to hold off the Crimson Tide.

Calipari took Wall out of the game in the first half and wanted his freshman guard to understand the importance of staying focused.

“Something happened — there was slippage in the ball, because he just lost three or four balls on turnovers that were not even forced,” Kentucky coach John Calipari said.

Wall was “glad” Calipari reserved him a spot on the bench.

“I was not being strong with the ball like I am supposed to,” he said. “That is one of the key things that I need to work on more and not turn the ball over much. That is what I did in the first half.”

In the second half, it was a different story. Wall responded.

The freshman guard finished with 22 points and grabbed 10 rebounds — all on the defensive end. As good point guards can do, the freshman guard knew his team needed the points more than the handy dishes to the rest of his teammates.

“In the second half, he played — ran our team,” Calipari said. “We were grinding it out at times, which we have to learn to do and I was happy we were able to do.”

Wall’s freshman classmate Eric Bledsoe admitted that the gray and gloomy skies of winter are creeping into the windows of the Joe Craft Center, but sees daylight on the horizon.

“I think we are getting worn down,” he said. “Everybody is starting to look like they are really tired. We need to start resting because we have a tournament coming up soon.”

And more games to play, too.

Kentucky’s next three games will be legitimate tests. Following Saturday’s Gameday showdown against Tennessee, Kentucky travels to Mississippi State Tuesday night and is at Vanderbilt on Feb. 20.

“We still have to play hard because every team is still coming at us hard,” Bledsoe said. “We still have plenty of games left.”

http://www.winchestersun.com/stories/2010/02/10/spo.820605.sto
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down