BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VITALE: Anthony Davis Reports False

Go down

VITALE:  Anthony Davis Reports False Empty VITALE: Anthony Davis Reports False

Post  Carolina Kat Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:29 am

Updated: August 11, 2010, 12:26 PM ET

Anthony Davis reports false

VITALE:  Anthony Davis Reports False Vitale_Dick_35 By Dick Vitale
ESPN.com

Isn't it amazing when stories come out about illegal recruiting in college athletics? A lot of times there are rumors circulated by schools which finished second, third or fourth in that recruiting battle.

Schools that fell short put a lot of time and effort into going after that young man. They put in that energy, and then the player they were after ends up going somewhere else. It is a frustrating situation, and innuendos come out that another school was cheating.

Those colleges don't look in the mirror and say that maybe we were outworked or the other school had more to sell for the prospect.

Why does this all come to my mind? Recently, there was an article in the Chicago Sun-Times about elite 2011 prospect Anthony Davis. The 6-11 Davis was highly-recruited by all of the big-time programs.

The article claimed that a package was put together for Davis, in excess of $200,000, in an effort to get him to commit to Kentucky.

Give me a break. Do you really think that transpired? Kentucky has many selling points of its own, starting with a beautiful, state-of-the-art practice facility. There is Rupp Arena, a place which creates blue hysteria. There is the rich winning tradition, which itself attracts blue chip athletes, Players want to go to a winner and it also helps when five of your players went in the first round of the most recent NBA draft.

John Calipari is a tenacious, relentless recruiter. He has a solid class coming in for the 2010 season, and you know kids want to play for him. The product at Kentucky is first class.

You hear the cries of the programs that did not win the big-time recruiting battles. The Sun-Times claimed three different programs said that the family was looking for a payout.

The family, as well as the young player, deny those allegations. I hope people understand we live in a day and age where envy and jealousy is out there. That is the way to try to bring people down.

I believe Calipari will keep on chasing those blue-chippers, knocking on their doors and trying to win the recruiting war. Kentucky will line up with its share of stars during the Calipari era.

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down