BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calipari Tells Cats To Start "Screaming"

Go down

Calipari Tells Cats To Start "Screaming" Empty Calipari Tells Cats To Start "Screaming"

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:24 am

Calipari Tells Cats To Start "Screaming"

By Alan Cutler

Posted: Aug 10, 2010 4:12 PM
Updated: Aug 10, 2010 5:12 PM

Since the 1990's we've seen more leap years than UK basketball practices that have been open to the media. Perhaps, John Calipari is going to change that.

Although TV Cameras are not allowed to shoot practice before the season officially begins, there was still plenty to see.

The great thing for Calipari isn't the three games in Canada the team will begin playing on Sunday, but the practices he can have preparing the Cats for the trip.

When you watch practice, the first thing you notice is DeAndre Liggins. Whatever he does, he goes hard. If you like to read body language, you feel that Liggins is saying, it's my time.

Cal was pushing speed. Get the ball out and go. Telling everyone who rebounds to "scream" when they rebound the ball, saying "the more aggressive you are, and the more you talk, you intimidate that team," said Calipari. "You yell and you intimidate."

There was only one voice during practice while we were there. He does raise his voice, but he wasn't screaming. And, he doesn't curse. He was doing one thing all the time, teaching. He has to. Too many new players.

He explains to his players why he's pushing them and what the purpose is.

"Right now I'm forcing guys to go to the rim, get hit and make layups. Read defenses. That's hard. I'm making you do the hardest things."

when you look at the great freshman talent, a lot of their success is without terrific fundamentals. Often times they didn't need any to succeed in high school. DeMarcus Cousins admitted that last year. A steep learning curve has begun. At times, the players looked lost.

Tuesday morning wasn't about scrimmaging, running, dunking and high 5's. It was a classroom atmosphere that was both mental and physical.

He even told his team to speak up if they want the ball.

"If a guy says run a play for me, I'll always run it. You want it, you ask for it, it's on you. I love it."

You get the feeling that Cal knows there is a good chance he will love this team before March.

BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down