BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Political uproar forces John Calipari to cancel fund-raiser

4 posters

Go down

Political uproar forces John Calipari to cancel fund-raiser Empty Political uproar forces John Calipari to cancel fund-raiser

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:12 am

Political uproar forces John Calipari to cancel fund-raiser

John Calipari has learned the hard way that people in Kentucky don't want their Big Blue basketball mixing with politics.

The Kentucky coach canceled a fund-raiser for Gov. Steve Beshear just hours after news reports told of the plan to hold a $1,000-a-person cocktail reception at Calipari's home.

"I hope by now you all realize that I don't take my position as your basketball coach lightly," Calipari said on his Facebook page. "I know how politically charged this state is and I recognize that the Big Blue Nation comes from both sides of the aisle. I appreciate every elected official who supports the University of Kentucky, regardless of party."

The Lexington Herald-Leader said many readers expressed "outrage" after the Calipari story was posted online.

Beshear and his running mate, Louisville Mayor Jerry Abramson, are Democrats. While coaching Kentucky, Rick Pitino stirred up similar resentment when he appeared on stage with President Bill Clinton during his 1996 re-election campaign.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/07/john-calipari-kentucky-politics-uproar/1
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Political uproar forces John Calipari to cancel fund-raiser Empty Re: Political uproar forces John Calipari to cancel fund-raiser

Post  MULECHOPS Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:40 am

Wise move.
MULECHOPS
MULECHOPS

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : Vikings

Back to top Go down

Political uproar forces John Calipari to cancel fund-raiser Empty Re: Political uproar forces John Calipari to cancel fund-raiser

Post  AngieBrads Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:02 am

Our coach is very smart! Glad he's ours!
AngieBrads
AngieBrads

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:54 pm

If he was smart he'd be a Republican
jagator
jagator

Favorite College team: : Florida
Favorite NFL team: : Jacksonville

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down