BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cards, Cats wide awake regarding 6-10 sleeper

Go down

Cards, Cats wide awake regarding 6-10 sleeper Empty Cards, Cats wide awake regarding 6-10 sleeper

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:01 pm

Cards, Cats wide awake regarding 6-10 sleeper

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100117/SPORTS11/1170351/Cards++Cats+wide+awake+regarding+6-10+sleeper

Senegal native gaining notice

By Jody Demling • jdemling@courier-journal.com • January 17, 2010

DAYTON, Ohio — With all of the attention paid to the spring and summer basketball circuits and the growing interest in college basketball recruiting, the chance to find a hidden gem in early January is unlikely.

But don't tell that to Huntington (W.Va.) Prep School coach Rob Fulford, whose first-year program has one of the nation's top sleepers in 6-foot-10 center Gorgui Dieng.

The native of Senegal arrived in the United States three months ago and is becoming one of the hottest names in recruiting circles because of his raw ability.

“This late in the game, it's rare to find a 6-foot-10 kid that is relatively skilled, a willing rebounder and that can block shots,” Scout.com national analyst Evan Daniels said. “He's got high-major potential.”

Fluent in five languages, Dieng showed off his basketball skills Sunday in a game at the Flyin' to the Hoop event at Trent Arena. He finished with 18 points, 15 rebounds and nine blocked shots, and shot 8 of 11 from the field.

Fulford said Dieng is averaging around a triple-double (points, rebounds and blocks) in 10 games this season for the Express. Louisville, Marshall, Arkansas, Georgetown, South Florida, Virginia and Virginia Tech have all expressed interest in him, and Kentucky has called.

“There's a laundry list of schools that are involved, and he's definitely a high-major kid,” Fulford said. “I think he's got potential to be an NBA veteran for a long time if his development continues.”

Louisville has talked to Dieng and is also after one of his teammates, 6-5 guard Justin Coleman. Both senior prospects visited Louisville recently for a game, and UofL assistant coach Walter McCarty was watching on Sunday.

Coleman is a top 25 prospect nationally. He's said to be working on his academics and has scholarship offers from UofL, UK, South Florida, Providence and Arkansas.

“We've talked about (Louisville), but (Dieng) is not sure where he wants to go right now, either,” Coleman said. “But Louisville does look OK to both of us.”

Dieng is making strides with his game and gaining fans.

Dieng has gained 15 pounds since arriving in Huntington, and the big man said he's adjusting to his life in the states, noting that after basketball, his biggest love might be Big Macs.

Quantcast

“I love basketball, and that's why I came to the United States,” said Dieng, who started playing hoops when he was 6. “Basketball is my life. If I didn't play basketball, I can't come to the United States for school.

“… (But) if I had to take one, basketball or school? I would say school. I can't play basketball 30-35 years, so if I don't have a diploma, I can't do anything.”

Fulford said Dieng has a 3.6 GPA, but English “is unfortunately his fifth language,” so there have been challenges.

Dieng, who wants to major in engineering or computers in college, said he doesn't want to think about a choice of schools right now.

“I need to focus on my school and have my SAT, because if I don't, then every college might want me, but I can't go nowhere,” he said.

Daniels said he was impressed by Dieng's skills, and several analysts said he could be a top-150 prospect before the class ratings are finished at year's end.

“Most African kids that come over can run and jump but have no idea how to play basketball,” Fulford said. “But he is not in that category. He has a great basketball IQ — he can pass the ball, has great feet and great hands.”

Coleman, who finished with nine points, three rebounds, three assists and three steals in Sunday's game, said he's seen drastic improvement in Dieng since his teammate arrived.

“I've seen him play against some of the guys I played against this summer (on the AAU scene), and he's just as good,” Coleman said. “He's going to be better at the next level.”
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down