BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wizards' Wall pays a visit to talented friend on Team USA

2 posters

Go down

Wizards' Wall pays a visit to talented friend on Team USA Empty Wizards' Wall pays a visit to talented friend on Team USA

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:54 pm

Wizards' Wall pays a visit to talented friend on Team USA

Scouts are gushing about John Wall as the next great point guard in basketball.

But Wall didn't come to San Antonio to talk about himself.

He came to watch and counsel another rising star, 17-year-old Team USA forward Quincy Miller.

“He's got a chance to do something like I did,” Wall said. “He's a spectacular player. All he has to do is add on some build, get a little bit ... faster and start taking the game more seriously.”

Wall, the No. 1 overall pick in the NBA draft, arrived in the city on Sunday.

For the past two nights, he has watched as Miller has played for Team USA in the FIBA Americas U18 Championship for Men.

Selected first overall last week by the Washington Wizards after one season at Kentucky, Wall is the toast of basketball's next generation, set to make millions in coming years.

It all started for Wall in North Carolina, where he grew up in Raleigh, attended prep school and became a standout for D-One Sports, a summer travel team.

At about the same time Wall left North Carolina to enroll at Kentucky, Miller started playing for the travel team founded by brothers Brian and Dwon Clifton.

With a nod of support to Miller, Wall and Dwon Clifton made the trip to South Texas.

Following the USA's victory over Mexico on Sunday night at Greehey Arena, Wall mingled and met with some fans.

But after everyone had left the building, Wall and Miller took the court.

A friendly shooting contest started, then evolved into an impromptu 45-minute workout that didn't end until almost 11 p.m.

Receiving a pass from Clifton, Wall would take a 20-footer and swish it. Miller would do the same.

Over and over, from different angles around the court, they kept up the pace until both had worked up a sweat.

“I came here to watch Quincy play,” Wall said later. “He's like a younger brother to me. I had enough time in my schedule (to make the trip) and (get in a) workout at the same time.”

Originally from Chicago, Miller is a lithe 6-foot-9, 205 pounder who will have his pick of colleges. He attends high school at Quality Education Academy in Winston-Salem, N.C.

“John's a great guy,” said Miller, averaging 17.3 points and 9.3 rebounds through the first three games of the tournament.

“He comes to support me at a lot of my events.”

FIBA Americas Championship

At a glance

What: FIBA Americas U18 Championship for Men

When: Through Wednesday

Where: St. Mary’s Greehey Arena

Tickets: $5 general admission (all-day pass), at gate or online at SanAntonioSports.org/fiba

Monday’s results
Brazil 83, Canada 78
Uruguay 67, Puerto Rico 54
U.S. Virgin Islands 88, Mexico 78
USA 88, Argentina 67

Today’s championship semifinals
Brazil vs. Argentina, 5 p.m.
USA vs. Canada, 7 p.m.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Wizards' Wall pays a visit to talented friend on Team USA Empty Re: Wizards' Wall pays a visit to talented friend on Team USA

Post  stuckinknoxville Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:53 pm

Thanks John. That can only help UK's chances of getting a Miller commitment.
stuckinknoxville
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down