BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ex-Cat Chuck Hayes hits new heights

Go down

Ex-Cat Chuck Hayes hits new heights Empty Ex-Cat Chuck Hayes hits new heights

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:20 pm

Ex-Cat Chuck Hayes hits new heights
http://www.kentucky.com/kentuckysports/latest/story/1098161.html
Playing above his level in the NBA
By Jonathan Abrams / New York Times News Service
HOUSTON — In a position full of giants, the Houston Rockets' Chuck Hayes stands out because he stands below them.

In the 63 years of the NBA, few teams have had a regular starting center as short as the 6-foot-6 Hayes, and certainly none in recent decades. The former Kentucky star is a full foot shorter than Yao Ming, the injured All-Star for whom he is filling in.

According to NBA rosters, 269 of the league's 436 players were taller than Hayes at the start of this season. That included 45 players, many of them Hayes' center counterparts, who are at least 7 feet tall.

Somehow and quite skillfully, Hayes, who has started each of the Rockets' 39 games this season, performs his duties despite the inherent disadvantages before tip-off. He is one of the better defenders against the league's best post players, who are all taller and more athletic than Hayes.

"On paper, it looks like guys that have great length should dominate against Chuck, but they continually struggle against him," teammate Shane Battier said. "If you watch him in a game, you're like, 'Gosh, this guy is giving away six inches and a foot in wingspan,' yet nobody is scoring on him."

Because of injuries to its two highest-paid players — Yao and Tracy McGrady — the workmanlike Rockets have had a dip in height, but have suffered only marginally in the standings. They are 22-17, seventh in the Western Conference.

Hayes, in his fifth season out of Kentucky, is a product of his own grit, but also representative of the league's evolution. Quick, penetrating guards are benefiting from the league's ban on defensive hand-checking, and teams have relied more on pick-and-rolls to create defensive mismatches. In response, some organizations have placed an emphasis on unearthing those players who could best defend in that situation.

Among centers, the traditional prototype would be a ceiling-touching player capable of blocking shots and erasing defensive mistakes. Hayes is the next advancement in that lineage. His lateral quickness allows him to guard smaller players during picks and move swiftly enough to defend weakside penetration.

Hayes folds nicely into the Rockets' organizational mind-set. General Manager Daryl Morey helped introduce the NBA to quantitative analytics and statistical breakdowns that go beyond the box score. It is an organization that sometimes plays the game Tag, with the player who is "it" using defensive slides as a means to keep moving.

"He kind of typifies the way we are," Rockets Coach Rick Adelman said of Hayes. "He's not big, but he's very quick, very strong around the basket. He's one of the best defenders, even though he doesn't have the size to block shots."

The Rockets' bid for a playoff spot might have been damaged with the season-long loss of Yao with a broken foot, but Hayes envisioned his own opportunity, even though forward is his natural position.

"We'd love to have a 7-foot-6 guy who can protect the rim, who can be a force for us defensively, but he's hurt, so this is our next best option," said Sam Hinkie, Houston's vice president for basketball operations. "It just so turns out that it's a lot better option than people think."

To prevent taller players from gaining position and scoring easily against him, Hayes tries to meet the man he is guarding high in the post. If a player tries to go in one direction, Hayes tries to edge him the opposite way. From there, it becomes a battle of wills.

"I'm going up against some great athletes, but if you don't let an athlete be an athlete, he looks really mediocre," Hayes said. "So, I always try to put a body on him so he doesn't expose his advantage of his athleticism and wingspan."

In essence, Hayes compensates for his height disadvantage by acting as a human barricade with a strong base.

"His center of gravity's so low that you're not moving Chuck once he gets set," Battier said. "So he finds people early in the shot clock, stops them, and that is really effective."

On the rare occasion an opposing center gains position near the rim, Hayes attempts to strip him of the ball. When the opponent attempts a shot, Hayes tries to shield his vision with his hand.

"I don't jump with them," Hayes said. "I just try to keep them from jumping. If they jump, it's no contest."

There is little noticeable about Hayes other than the common NBA acts he does not perform. He touches the ball rarely and seldom scores.

He now averages 4.8 points a game and 6.3 rebounds. More important, the Rockets play better defense when Hayes is on the court.

"We don't put enough premium as scouts, as organizations, on people that do whatever it takes to win, and that's what he does," Knicks Coach Mike D'Antoni said. "He's got big heart, plays hard, smart basketball-wise. We don't put a premium on that. We put a premium on guys shooting or jumping. He just wins."

Even Hayes struggled with describing how he was an outlier in a league dominated by taller, more athletic players. He, like the Rockets, receives little credit for success through tribulations.

"I don't know how I do it," Hayes said. "I use my strength. Maybe you should give me a little bit of credit. Maybe I do have a splash of athleticism. Just a little bit, you know?"
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down