BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calipari sticks with recruiting philosophy

Go down

Calipari sticks with recruiting philosophy Empty Calipari sticks with recruiting philosophy

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Wed May 05, 2010 4:43 am

Calipari sticks with recruiting philosophy

By Keith Taylor/Sun Sports Editor
May 4, 2010

Kentucky coach John Calipari thinks high school seniors should be given the opportunity to enter the NBA Draft instead of attending college for one semester.

The age rule imposed by the NBA has resulted in more one-and-done players in the collegiate ranks recently. Kentucky freshmen John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe and Daniel Orton have declared for this year’s draft after one year of college.

“I don’t like the rule,” Calipari said Monday. “The kid should be able to go directly to the NBA, but if they come to college they should stay two or three years. I have never wavered, but we have a rule that I have to deal with.”

Despite the one-and-done phenomenon that has surrounded college campuses across the country, Calipari hasn’t changed his recruiting philosophy.

“I recruit the best players who are the best students and the best of the best,” he said. “That is who our fans deserve to see play here. Now, not all of them come. You know what, you won’t believe this but we will miss on kids too. They will go to other schools.

“Oh yeah, you spend a year or two and then they go to another school. I just wish them well and say that they are going to a great staff and worked hard. I never throw stones or blame anybody because kids pick schools for different reasons. It is just how it is. We don’t get everybody we want.”

The Kentucky coach added that recruiting players to Kentucky is different than his previous stops at Memphis and Massachusetts. The Wildcats have the tradition, but players also are expected to excel in the classroom.

“This is a unique situation,” he said. “You have to be excited about the competition and excited about getting better and all the glare because it is here. If you want to be on national television every game then you come here. If you don’t want that kind of glow then you don’t come here. If you want to be challenged at the highest level and be on a team with other good players and see how good you can become, then you come here.

“If you want to be the only guy on your team that can play, then you do not come here. If you do not want to be in the training room or come to class, you just want to hang out and do other stuff then you can’t be here. There are policies here that if you don’t go to class, school wide, than you don’t play. It is a hard place to go and play basketball but it is still the best place to go and play basketball.”

Calipari added that his job as a college coach hasn’t changed. He said his main priority is academics and preparing players for the future.

“I am not going to be one that tries to convince kids to stay,” he said. “I have never done that and I won’t do that. My job is to help prepare them for life after basketball and prepare them for their future and then their family will make those decisions.”

Calipari plans to put the finishing touches on his current recruiting class before taking a break.

I haven’t had a day off in a long time. I am looking forward to it at some point,” he said. “My wife is really happy about that. I am looking forward to getting away but this is one of those jobs that it is on you.”
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down