BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dominique Archie's 6th Year Denied By NCAA

Go down

Dominique Archie's 6th Year Denied By NCAA Empty Dominique Archie's 6th Year Denied By NCAA

Post  Carolina Kat Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:56 am

Archie denied by NCAA (updated)

4/6/2010

Seth Emerson, GoGamecocks.com

Dominique Archie’s carer with the South Carolina men’s basketball team is now officially over.

The senior forward’s appeal for a sixth year of eligibility was denied by the NCAA, ending his quest to return to college for an extra year.

Archie suffered a season-ending knee injury last November. He was the team’s leading scorer and rebounder in the team’s first six games, before the injury. He also redshirted his first year at USC.

The NCAA normally requires that a player receiving a sixth year miss two seasons for reasons beyond the control of the player or school. It decided that Archie’s case did not meet that criteria.

UPDATE: USC has confirmed the news, and provided statements from Archie and coach Darrin Horn:

Archie: “I want to thank Coach Horn, the assistant coaches and the compliance office for their efforts in helping with the process for a sixth year of eligibility. I’m disappointed I won’t be able to play next season as a Gamecock, but I leave with great memories. I want to thank the fans for their support during my time at South Carolina.”

Horn: “Although we are disappointed Dominique won’t be a member of the team next season, he will always be an important member of the Gamecock family. He played a significant role in building the South Carolina program over his career. As always, we have the best interest of our players in mind, and we will continue to support Dominique in his future as an individual and with his professional career.”

The news means South Carolina is slated to have 12 players on scholarship next year. That includes Austin Steed, who Horn said will not be on the team next year but currently plans on staying in school.

This is obviously tough news for South Carolina, but tougher for Archie. The Gamecocks seemed to expect this: Horn only mentioned Archie once in his postseason news conference, and that was when he was asked about the appeal.

Archie, meanwhile, has to begin his pro career in a bad position. Because of his injury, he can’t play in any of the pre-draft camps. He should have some notice based on going through the draft process last year, but he will likely have to angle for an overseas contract, get healthy and hope for the best.

The only good news for Archie is that the NCAA came down with the ruling swiftly, instead of letting it linger. He now knows his deal and can go forward.

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down