BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Former Washington star DeAndre Liggins gives Kentucky 'energy' during tournament run

Go down

Former Washington star DeAndre Liggins gives Kentucky 'energy' during tournament run Empty Former Washington star DeAndre Liggins gives Kentucky 'energy' during tournament run

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:03 am

Former Washington star DeAndre Liggins gives Kentucky 'energy' during tournament run

By ZACHARY OSTERMAN - Times Correspondent | Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:00 am

NEW ORLEANS | Considering John Calipari's impressive list of alumni -- Marcus Camby, Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans -- it's not at all surprising when he talks about chatting up NBA coaches. So, with a current roster that probably includes three 2010 lottery picks, what name came up in a conversation with Charlotte Bobcats coach Larry Brown recently? Reserve winger DeAndre Liggins, naturally.

"Larry Brown called me and said, 'I love Liggins.' This is the coach of the Bobcats," Calipari said.

Heady stuff.

It's his energy, Calipari said, that makes Liggins -- a sophomore who played at Chicago Washington and in prep school before arriving in Lexington -- so important. His stat lines don't often wow, but there's a reason he's played more than 15 minutes per game this season and 22 per game in two NCAA tournament wins.

Originally a Billy Gillispie recruit, Liggins saw his minutes diminish early in the season. He played once in the Wildcats' first 10 games, writing in a minute against Indiana.

But then they started coming more often -- 12 against Austin Peay, 19 against Hartford, 25 in a monster game against Vanderbilt.

"He came back and played so well for us," Calipari said. "He was energy off the bench. There were people in our state screaming for me to start him."

But he didn't, primarily, his coach said, because he didn't have anyone else off his bench who could bring the same sort of spark. Liggins playing time slackened a bit toward season's end, but on college basketball's biggest stage, his coach needs just a little bit more.

Thus far, averaging four points, three rebounds and 3.5 assists in two tournament games, Liggins is paying back.

"We need that from him in this tournament," Calipari said. "It's not the fabulous play, the scoring and all. He can do that. It's that energy, the clapping on defense and then guarding the ball. There is no such thing, when he's playing right, as a 50-50 ball. He gets them all."

Liggins insists he and his teammates are focused squarely on finishing out the season with a national title, and that there's little else on his mind. Still, he knows how far he's come this year, and what it will take to stay where he is.

"From the beginning of the season to now it's been up and down for me, and I just want to leave it all on the court," Liggins said. "I'm working hard, I'm focused and I'm doing whatever it takes for us to win."

NCAA TOURNAMENT

East Regional
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down