BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peppers Outta Here

2 posters

Go down

Peppers Outta Here Empty Peppers Outta Here

Post  Carolina Kat Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:46 pm

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Peppers, Panthers divorce -- and it was time

Scott Fowler, Charlotte Observer

The Julius Peppers circus finally closes down the tent today, with the Panthers explaining why they decided to let him go after eight years at a news conference.

I don’t know about you, but I’m ready for this one to be over. Aching for it to be over, really. This was the sideshow that just wouldn’t end, a “he-said, he-said” offseason distraction for what seems like forever.

Carolina painted itself into a corner once – paying Peppers $1 million per game in 2009. With an even tinier corner to play with this season, the Panthers have decided to cut ties.

So no more charging around the end for No.90. No more discussion about how many plays Peppers took off or how good he could have been had he had a motor that revved like Jon Beason or a heart like Sam Mills.

Peppers isn’t a bad guy, really, just a quiet one. If someone was going to write you or me the sort of checks the Panthers did for the past eight years, we wouldn’t turn it down, either.

What Peppers never gave the Panthers, however, was much of anything but stats. Peppers had little locker room presence. He was never a natural leader and rarely tried to be one. He was a Pro Bowl defensive end for much of his career and yet he could have been more than that here.

Some team will still pay Peppers a boatload of money, although I would guess it will be a smaller boatload than the Panthers would have when they offered him that contract extension awhile back. Whatever.

It was time for a divorce. Peppers will be happier with a fresh start, and so will Carolina.

And I think the Panthers will be just as good without him – remember, they were only 8-8 last season -- if they use wisely the millions they will save by letting him go.

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down

Peppers Outta Here Empty Re: Peppers Outta Here

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:39 pm

Hope my Patriots go after him.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats