BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Wall has captivated Kentucky basketball

Go down

John Wall has captivated Kentucky basketball Empty John Wall has captivated Kentucky basketball

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:32 am

By Jeremy FowlerORLANDO SENTINEL
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/gators/os-uk-john-wall-0112-20100111,0,2592595.story?page=3
9:18 p.m. EST, January 11, 2010

GAINESVILLE – Kentucky blue bloods must savor every moment.

With likely no more than three months left in the John Wall era, one of the country's most tradition-rich basketball programs has been shaken at its core by a guard it might never duplicate.

After the dark days of Billy Gillispie, a slim 6-foot-4 freshman guard from Raleigh, N.C., emerged to lead the UK faithful.

The results have been an amalgam of elation and surprise.

Even to Wall, UK's version of Tim Tebow with hops.

As No. 2 Kentucky plays at Florida at 9 tonight on ESPN, Wall and the 16-0 Wildcats eye the first wire-to-wire undefeated season since Indiana in 1975-76.

Versatility, clutch guard play and the occasional effortless dunk have thrust Wall into the National Player of the Year conversation with averages of 17.2 points, 7.1 assists and 3.8 rebounds per game.

"I'm playing at another level I never thought I could play at,'' Wall said. "I always played good when I was in high school, but playing for [coach John] Calipari, he's going to take you to another level and get you better. I thought I was at the top of my potential when I was in high school. I'm nowhere near it.''

Wall entered Lexington, Ky., with plenty of hype. He had topped many national recruiting rankings. He had graced magazine covers for years. Popular Wall-inspired YouTube videos include "Sickest player in the country" and "The era begins."

So the sick player and the slick coach intersected at the perfect time. Calipari, hired by Kentucky in late March, created a history of molding one-and-done point guards into stars at Memphis. Derrick Rose and Tyreke Evans are flourishing in the NBA.

Calipari talked Wall into signing with Kentucky by late May, but he wasn't convinced his new point guard would enter Kentucky folklore this quickly.

Calipari says he has coached special players over the years who took over games in critical times, and after watching Wall play AAU ball, he didn't see that ability.

Until Nov. 16, of course, when Wall grabbed an inbounds pass, bolted downcourt in a blur and pulled up for a 15-foot buzzer-beater over Miami (Ohio).

The cult following began.

"Guess what? He answered it right from the bell, and he's been answering it since we've been playing," Calipari said. "Even if he misses them, he's not afraid to take them."

Kentucky has won three games by three or fewer points. Every time Wall has had the ball in his hands to win.

Against North Carolina, he battled through pregame dehydration and queasiness to hit the game-winning free throws with 4.3 seconds left.

Against UConn, Wall scored 12 of his team's last 15 points.

He keeps outdoing his own drama.

Kentucky has had its share of stars, so there's reason to believe fans are remaining calm and sophisticated about Wall's otherworldly talent.

But the constant "did he just do that?" comments in Rupp Arena are becoming too commonplace for sophistication.

Dick Gabriel, sports host for News Radio 630 WLAP who has covered UK basketball since 1974, said he's never seen a player captivate the Wildcats like Wall.

The closest model might be Rex Chapman from the late 1980s, but Gabriel says Chapman's popularity paled in comparison.

Without the NBA's 19-year-old rule, the Wildcats never would have seen Wall in a UK uniform. Gabriel said fans are more grateful now than they would have been two years ago after missing last year's NCAA Tournament under Gillispie, who was fired after two seasons.

"He arrived with the major reputation of being in most corners the No. 1-ranked recruit and he's actually surpassed it," Gabriel said. "It's almost like every game he does something that has fans looking at each other and asking, 'Have you ever seen that before, because I haven't?' The fanbase was so down for a while, but there was a savior."

UK's transition back to success has been seamless with the ball in Wall's hands, but not everyone is surprised by his rapid rise.

Dave Telep, a recruiting director for Scout.com, saw enough of Wall to know his new team would be an instant contender.

"He's just that type of player who knows how to make a play at all times," Telep said. "Some players are athletic but don't always have that sense of urgency. John is confident enough to know he can always make something happen."

Wall, whose only weakness might be the occaional poor shot selection, doesn't have to do it himself. DeMarcus Cousins and Patrick Patterson are All-Southeastern Conference-caliber power forwards. Freshman guard Eric Bledsoe would be an offensive focal point at many other schools in the SEC.

But if the Wildcats make a deep NCAA Tournament run, Wall will take them there. UK hasn't been to a Final Four since 1998.

Wall probably has one shot to make that happen.

"His meteor keeps rising, but it's going to streak across the sky quickly," Gabriel said. "Then he'll be gone."
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down