BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you say Naismith

Go down

Can you say Naismith Empty Can you say Naismith

Post  MULECHOPS Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:14 pm

NEW ORLEANS -- Kentucky star Anthony Davis has won the Naismith Trophy for men's college player of the year.

Davis is the first player from Kentucky to win the award and the second freshman, joining Texas' Kevin Durant in 2007. He is the first Naismith Trophy winner from the Southeastern Conference since LSU's Pete Maravich in 1970.

The Atlanta Tipoff Club announced the Naismith winner on Sunday.

The other finalists for the award were Kansas' Thomas Robinson, Creighton's Doug McDermott and Michigan State's Draymond Green.

"All four of our Naismith Trophy finalists put together a compelling campaign to win the award this season, but in the end, Anthony's stellar play for the Wildcats was simply too much for voters to ignore," said Atlanta Tipoff Club executive director Eric Oberman in a statement. "Congratulations to Anthony, the University of Kentucky and all the finalists for achieving tremendous success. They are all wonderful ambassadors of this sport, and we wish each of them the best of luck in their future basketball careers."

The 6-foot-10 Davis is averaging a team-high 14.4 points, 10.2 rebounds and 4.6 blocked shots per game heading into the national championship Monday night against Kansas. Davis was also named winner of the Wooden Award on Saturday and The Associated Press Player of the Year on Friday.

"I'm so proud of Anthony. Here's a guy who's taken the fourth-most shots on our team and yet he's the best player in college basketball. He defers to his teammates," Kentucky head coach John Calipari said in a statement released by the Atlanta Tipoff Club. "He bought into our system and basically said, 'Tell me how you want me to play.' He's been the ultimate team player and I couldn't be happier for him."

Kansas' Bill Self was named the Naismith Men's College Basketball Coach of the Year earlier Sunday.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report
MULECHOPS
MULECHOPS

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : Vikings

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum