BIG BLUE NATION

Vols Knock Off Gators In Gainesville

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Vols Knock Off Gators In Gainesville

Post  Carolina Kat on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:17 am

Trae Golden, Jeronne Maymon lift Vols as short bench burns No. 7 Gators

Associated Press

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Trae Golden scored 17 points, Jeronne Maymon added 15 points and 11 rebounds, and Tennessee upset Florida (No. 7 ESPN/USA Today, No. 8 AP) 75-70 Saturday, ending the Gators' home-winning streak at 19.

Coming off a 20-point loss at top-ranked Kentucky and wearing gray uniforms to commemorate the program's back-to-back national championships in 2006 and 2007, Florida trailed by double digits early and never mustered anything resembling a comeback.

It didn't help that the Gators played most of the game without their top two reserves, guard Mike Rosario and forward Will Yeguete. Forward Cody Larson also was out because of a stomach virus.

Rosario missed the game because of a hip pointer, and Yeguete suffered a head injury early in the first half when he slammed into the padding at the base of the basket. He went to the locker room for stiches and never returned.

The Gators essentially were left with a seven-man rotation that included seldom-used guard Casey Prather.

The result was Florida (19-6, 7-3 Southeastern Conference) lost consecutive games for the first time this season. The Volunteers (13-12, 5-5) swept the series for the first time since 2009.

Bradley Beal and Kenny Boynton led the Gators with 16 points apiece. Boynton had four of the team's 11 3-pointers. Florida leads the nations in 3s, but shot 37.9 percent (11 of 29) from behind the arc.

Erik Murphy drained two 3s in the final minute, trimming Tennessee's lead to 71-64 with 18.3 seconds remaining. But the Volunteers closed it out from the free throw line.

Golden hit two foul shots with 17.2 seconds left to push the lead back to nine.

Wes Washburn was called for a technical foul with 11 seconds left, but Boynton missed both free throws. The Gators kept the ball, and Scottie Wilbekin hit a 3 to make it 73-67, but Golden sank two more on the other end to seal the victory.

Skylar McBee had 13 points for Tennessee, and Jordan McRae added 12 before fouling out in the final minute. Talented freshman Jarnell Stokes played despite a sore right hand and finished with four points. Cameron Tatum spent most of the game on the bench in foul trouble. He didn't take a shot and finished scoreless for the third time in the last five games.

Tennessee used a 15-2 run midway through the first half to take a 24-12 lead. McRae scored seven points in the spurt, most of them off Florida turnovers.

The Gators finished with 15 turnovers, their most since committing the same number in Knoxville last month.
The Volunteers protected the ball a little better.

The biggest difference was Florida's depth. With a short bench, the Gators had few substitutes and no real chance to press and try to force tempo.

Tennessee took advantage, taking the ball right at Patric Young and finishing with 36 points in the paint.

Copyright by STATS LLC and The Associated Press

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down

Re: Vols Knock Off Gators In Gainesville

Post  jagator on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:58 am

Well. You guys were right about us. When we were winning back to back titles, you UK fans said we were a flash in the pan. "No we're not" I said. "We're building a program" I said. Wrong. We were a flash in the pan. We can't compete. We lose out on every blue chipper. We are always on the short list, but they always pick someone else. If we could field a team of players who had us second, we could win the NCAA every year. Patrick Patterson, Brandon Knight, Austin Rivers, And now Stokes from UT. Hell we'd be pretty good if we still had Kenny Kadji. But he leaves us for Miami. Miami?

Nope. Time to stop kidding myself. You guys were right all along. Kentucky can suck for ten years in a row. It doesn't matter. All they have to do is throw a pile of money at whatever coach they want and they'll be in the top five in a week.

We're finished. We'll be back in the NIT in about a month. I apologize to all UK fans for everything. I should have known better. Our championships were a mirage. I guess it could be worse. Tennessee hasn't even had a mirage. Neither has Georgia or Alabama or LSU. Arkansas had one. ESPN is doing a documentary on them called "40 Minutes of Hell". If ESPN did a documentary on our team it should be called "80 Minutes of getting ass KMARTED by a Team that lost to Austin Peay on their home court".

Anyway, good luck on the rest of the year. Anybody needs me I'll be watching NASCAR.
jagator

Favorite College team: : Florida
Favorite NFL team: : Jacksonville

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikey on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 am

Dont fret Jag, what team currently has the longest winning streak over another team in college football??
Mikey

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : Bengals

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:17 am

Football? POOP, we're 15-11 the last two years in that sport too. We've been reduced to baseball and softball now. I really thought our basketball team had turned the corner after last season. Boy was that a joke. As long as Cal is in Kentucky and Saban is in Alabama we have no shot.
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolina Kat on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:54 am

May As Well Throw South Carolina Coach Tanner On There As Well. Gamecocks Are Back To Back National Champions.

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator on Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:19 am

South Carolina baseball does not belong in the same sentence as UK hoops or Bama football. If we were talking Coach Tanner coaching at LSU, then maybe. It's not just the coaches we can't hang with with. It's the coaches combined with the program. Put Saban at Ole Miss, we can compete with that. Put Cal at Vanderbilt, we can hang. Put them at the two most storied programs in the SEC and it's too much. I'm not conceding baseball to SC just yet. But if he does it a third and fourth time, then I'll get back to you.
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  truebluewildcatgirl on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Jag, I told u that u shoulda listened to me. That being said, y'all
Are just lucky we sucked for so long or u wouldn't have even had the opportunity to be a flash in the pan

truebluewildcatgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikey on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:50 pm

Thats why I love you true, You are ruthless....lol
Mikey

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolina Kat on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:36 pm

Jag, I Think What True Is Saying Is That You Should Definitely Send Tubby a Thankyou Note And Put Him On Your Permanent Christmas Card List. lol!

Last edited by Carolina Kat on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikey on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Correct me if im wrong, but UF won their championships while Tubby was the coach at UK
Mikey

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:09 pm

Mikey wrote:Correct me if im wrong, but UF won their championships while Tubby was the coach at UK

That was the point. Try and keep up.
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:10 pm

truebluewildcatgirl wrote:Jag, I told u that u shoulda listened to me. That being said, y'all
Are just lucky we sucked for so long or u wouldn't have even had the opportunity to be a flash in the pan

You're right. Wake me up when Cal leaves for the NBA.
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:58 pm

Carolina Kat wrote:Jag, I Think What True Is Saying Is That You Should Definitely Send Tubby a Thankyou Note And Put Him On Your Permanent Christmas Card List. lol!

And you should have Donovan on your Christmas Card list. Him winning championships is what got your idiot AD off his ass and made him hire a real coach.
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  MULECHOPS on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:19 am

Garth Brooks wrote a song about unanswered prayers.
THANK GOODNESS DONOVAN WAS ONE OF THEM Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
MULECHOPS

Favorite NFL team: : Vikings

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikey on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:25 am

jagator wrote:
Mikey wrote:Correct me if im wrong, but UF won their championships while Tubby was the coach at UK

That was the point. Try and keep up.

I think he edited his post after I made mine, his original statment was thank Billy Clyde, I am keeping up just fine thank you.
Mikey

Back to top Go down

Post  stuckinknoxville on Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:19 am

Actually, I never said Florida was a flash in the pan, that I remember, but I do remember arguing that UT was a flash over on secsportsnation.com.
Well that site is dead now but I'd love to see what the UT faithful, that disagreed with me, would say now.
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

Post  stuckinknoxville on Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:20 am

I will say that UT seems to have the Gators number. No matter the coach they seem to get the best of Florida.
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:17 am

It only seems that way because they suck against everyone else. Remember they were 0-3 against us just last year. Donovan is 16-17 against them overall. Not exactly domination.
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:18 am

MULECHOPS wrote:Garth Brooks wrote a song about unanswered prayers.

Donovan at UK would be a title winning machine. Don't forget Cal never won one at Memphis which is more of a basketball school than Florida is.
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  stuckinknoxville on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:41 pm

jagator wrote:It only seems that way because they suck against everyone else. Remember they were 0-3 against us just last year. Donovan is 16-17 against them overall. Not exactly domination.

I wasn't really speaking of domination. It's just that when Billy comes in with a good team it seems like they go away with a loss during years when Tennessee struggles against mediocre teams.
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:05 pm

Maybe UT gets more fired up to play us then we do for them. I think last Saturday was a case of us letting UK beat us twice though.
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  MULECHOPS on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:41 pm

jagator wrote:
MULECHOPS wrote:Garth Brooks wrote a song about unanswered prayers.

Donovan at UK would be a title winning machine. Don't forget Cal never won one at Memphis which is more of a basketball school than Florida is.
You ever been to Memphis? Plus they play in a sub par conference.
I see Memphis as on the brink of being a mid major.
MULECHOPS

Favorite NFL team: : Vikings

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:58 pm

They play at an NBA arena and draw better than the pro team does. They also have no football program. You take Donovan out of Florida and we would be LSU or Alabama or Georgia or Tennessee. There would be no national championships. Maybe one Final Four every 30 years or so. Or maybe none at all. You don't think Donovan couldn't haul in talent to a basketball school? Look around the NBA at the talent he brought in to a football school.
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:32 am

Florida will be fine Jag, You guys are ranked in the top 20 and have young players, Wait until you have these guys go to seniors and watch them bloom. The thing about winning a National Championship is any team can hit their stride then.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

http://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:55 pm

You know that's not happening. Beal and Young will be entering the draft. Right now all we have committed for the next two classes are guards. More freaking guards. We need guards like Mr T needs more bling.
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  stuckinknoxville on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:28 pm

Wonder why Eddie Munster can't seem to get big men? He can nab great guard after guard but the tall boys don't seem to like him. Looks like he could pull a Herman Munster on occasion.
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:07 pm

I guess it's because he doesn't really run a "big man" system. He likes to bomb away from the three point line. What's strange is most of the guys he's put in the NBA are forwards and centers. His offense is perfect for bigs to display their talents in. Look at Dwight Howard. Orlando is a jump shooting team. Dwight has the lane all to himself. He grabs all the rebounds. When he gets the ball, the lane isn't clogged up with six guys. He can show off his skills.

He's put Haslem, Miller, Lee, Bonner, Noah, Horford, Speights, and Parsons in the NBA. All these guys went to the pros and are doing well. You'd think he wouldn't have any problems getting big men. Of course it didn't help that we had a Final Four berth in our back pockets last year until we decided to stop feeding the ball to Macklin and Tyus and gave it away.
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  stuckinknoxville on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:35 pm

Well Parsons really wasn't a big man when he came to florida was he? I was thinking he was more a small forward then grew like hell in college.
stuckinknoxville

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:15 pm

If I recall right he was recruited as a small forward. We was really skinny as a freshman and really put on some muscle between his freshman and sophomore year. Tyus was the power forward from that class, Calathes was the point guard, Jai Lucas was also a point guard who transferred to Texas after one year, and Adam Allen was a forward that would've been a Matt Bonner/Erik Murphy type guy. He was a sad case. He was also a very highly touted baseball pitcher, but he blew out both knees. Last season on senior night they let him suit up and take the floor for the last few seconds.

Parsons is one of those guys that makes a great case for staying in school. He came from the same high school team as Calathes. Calathes had some of the best years as any Gator point guard ever. He then leaves to go play in Greece after his sophomore year. Parsons was a bit of a disappointment after his first two years. But his last two years he was a stud. He wins SEC Player of the Year his senior year and plays in the Elite Eight. And now he is in the NBA and is having a good rookie year while Calathes has disappeared.
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:22 am

I'm watching the NBA highlights and so far I've seen tonight that Brewer scored 26, Parsons scored 18 and Speights had a double double.
jagator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top