BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gamecocks Get First Win Over #1

2 posters

Go down

Gamecocks Get First Win Over #1 Empty Gamecocks Get First Win Over #1

Post  Carolina Kat Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:09 pm

Win for the ages: USC beats Kentucky
Another spectacular performance by Downey, with key contributions from supporting cast, gives Gamecocks monumental win

Written by SETH EMERSON
semerson@thestate.com

Posted on 01.27.10

The college basketball world, and possibly even the President of the United States, was atuned to the new No. 1 team in the nation.

The story line got turned over, however, by No. 2: Devan Downey.

In an incredible performance, Downey led South Carolina to its first victory against a top-ranked team.

South Carolina stunned Kentucky 68-62 before a frenzied crowd and behind its diminutive star.

The 5-foot-9 Downey poured in 30 points, outdueling Kentucky star John Wall.

"My thinking all year has been if we're close, we have No. 2, we have a shot," Gamecocks coach Darrin Horn said.

In the final seconds, Downey beckoned to the Garnet Army student section to storm the court, ignoring the fact it likely would result in a fine from the SEC. The fans obliged.

"I'm pretty sure the university's got some money somewhere to pay the fine," Downey said, smiling.

This has been a difficult season for Downey, who passed on the NBA only to see key teammates - Dominique Archie and Mike Holmes - be lost for the season. But Tuesday's events might have rejuvenated the Gamecocks.

"Let's just be honest, nobody gave us a chance," Downey said.

Including, it was pointed out, President Obama. Earlier in the day, Obama had said Kentucky "should be all right" against USC during a telephone conversation with the Wildcats to thank them for their Haiti relief efforts.

"I'm aware of that, but I'm kind of scared to mention something about that because that's the president," Downey said, laughing.

Downey's heroics were nothing new. The difference Tuesday was the supporting cast.

Big men Sam Muldrow and Johndre Jefferson kept the Gamecocks (12-8, 3-3 SEC) in it with their rebounding in the first half. Brandis Raley-Ross, dormant for two games, awoke. Austin Steed had a key tip-in. Stephen Spinella played solid minutes.

Kentucky looked out of sorts on offense most of the night, especially in the half court. It scored plenty of inside baskets but struggled from outside and with its penetration.

And somehow, despite playing one of the tallest teams in the nation, South Carolina had the rebounding advantage.

"They made us play the way we played. I'm not taking anything away from them," Kentucky coach John Calipari said. "They out-worked us."

Wall didn't get his usual assortment of driving baskets, and the 3s weren't falling for Kentucky. Wall finished with 19 points.

Still, the Wildcats led most of the first half, by as many as seven. But Downey finished the half with a driving layup to cut the deficit to four.

The Gamecocks took the lead early in the second half with a 7-0 run, with Downey hitting a 3 to make it 33-31 South Carolina. A few minutes later, Muldrow hit a baseline jumper to make it 39-33.

Kentucky answered again and led by six. But once again, Downey responded with big shots.

It was tied with just over four minutes left when Downey took an inbounds pass on the baseline, and, while being fouled, drilled the shot. He hit the free throw for a three-point USC lead.

On the other end, Muldrow stuffed a DeMarcus Cousins layup attempt.

Downey increased the lead to five on a spinning bank shot.

After a three-point play by Kentucky, Downey did it once again. He spun away from Wall and drilled another running banker.

"Season's not over," Downey said. "We still feel like all our goals are in front of us. To me, it's motivation. ... A win like this really does something to the team."

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down

Gamecocks Get First Win Over #1 Empty Re: Gamecocks Get First Win Over #1

Post  jagator Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:45 pm

Downey is something else. I was at the game on Saturday when he put 36 on the board. He was amazing.
jagator
jagator

Favorite College team: : Florida
Favorite NFL team: : Jacksonville

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolina Kat Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:31 pm

Jag,

Interesting you say that. At first after the win Tuesday, I'm thinking Horn is a great young coach, but after I took away the emotion of the win/loss on both sides, I tried to break it down and I think the verdict is out for this reason.

Downey, Archie, Holmes and Frederick were all part of Dave Odom's last recruiting class. No doubt Downey is a special player. Archie and Holmes are being missed badly and Frederick graduated off last year's team.

So I guess what I'm saying is as much I still want to give him credit, it will be interesting to see how well he coaches when Downey is gone especially if Archie doesn't get a medical hardship and is willing to play next year.

Still think Horn's a good young talent, but I'm just thinking that you and I could be the coach of the Gamecocks with Downey on the floor and still win a good number of games.

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:51 pm

Could be. But I don't remember Odom ever doing a whole lot until they would get to the NIT. There were some others who stepped up big against UK. Raley-Ross didn't even show up against the Gators. He made some huge shots. Muldrow and Jefferson were beasts, even though they also played well against UF. I think he's a good coach because of this reason. SC controlled tempo in both games. Look at the scores. 58-56 vs. UF. Next game we hang 87 on UGA. We also scored at least 70 on Vandy, LSU, UK, Arkansas, Michigan State, Rutgers and Syracuse. And the UK game was 68-62 which is UK's lowest output all year. It's only the third time UK failed to break 70. So USC is controlling tempo and playing defense, giving Downey a chance to outscore the other team almost by himself. And If not for injuries, USC is probably in first place.
jagator
jagator

Favorite College team: : Florida
Favorite NFL team: : Jacksonville

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum