BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harrellson invited to NBA pre draft camp

+2
Californication
MULECHOPS
6 posters

Go down

Harrellson invited to NBA pre draft camp Empty Harrellson invited to NBA pre draft camp

Post  MULECHOPS Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:42 pm

A year ago Josh Harrellson was stationed at the end of the bench cheering on three future first round National Basketball Association Draft picks. Now he'll have the opportunity to play his way into joining his former teammates in the league.

The 6-foot-10 senior forward has been invited to the prestigious Portsmouth Invitational, the NBA's top pre-draft camp for college seniors. Harrellson is expected to participate in the tournament that runs from April 6-9 at Churchland High School in Portsmouth, Va., although the official list of the 64 seniors attending won't be released until April 1.

"It's an honor," Harrellson said. "(It) makes me feel good about myself and boosts my confidence. He told me Joey Dorsey didn't even get an invite (at Memphis) so being a player that gets an invite after playing under Coach Cal and what all he's done for me is an honor."

Harrellson's ascension from afterthought to potential pro would have been unthinkable when the Cats started the season at Big Blue Madness in October, but he has steadily improved and risen to the top of the Southeastern Conference's rebounding leaders.

"You have to understand, it's not easy to get into Portsmouth," UK coach John Calipari said. "It's the first players (the NBA) looks at. I'm proud of him."

"I've not coached a player that's gotten more out of his body, out of his talent, out of his athleticism as Josh Harrellson. That's nothing more he can give?It's just effort, man, just a desire to make plays."

Despite having played just 12 minutes in SEC play last season Harrellson has drawn wide praise for his underrated efforts this season, especially in light of the NCAA not granting Turkish star Enes Kanter his collegiate eligibility. ESPN senior college basketball writer Pat Forde raved about the senior's journey from the end of the bench to Portsmouth.

"Josh Harrellson is a classic college success story," Forde said in an e-mail to The Cats' Pause. "He paid his dues, endured adversity, adapted to change, worked hard, improved dramatically and reaped the benefits in his senior season. The numbers of players who turn pro early tends to overshadow the guys like Harrellson, who earn their rewards more gradually, but those players are vital to a team's success. Where would Kentucky be this year without him? He's earned his shot at making a living playing basketball."

MULECHOPS
MULECHOPS

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : Vikings

Back to top Go down

Harrellson invited to NBA pre draft camp Empty Re: Harrellson invited to NBA pre draft camp

Post  Californication Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:49 pm

Dayum! Forde saying something positive about anything UK? Harrelson could earn a roster spot on the right team. I wish him nothing less than the best of luck. Great kid, great attitude.
Californication
Californication

Favorite College team: : duh
Favorite NFL team: : cowboys!!

Back to top Go down

Harrellson invited to NBA pre draft camp Empty Re: Harrellson invited to NBA pre draft camp

Post  Bho Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:25 am

Josh deserves everything he gets. He has worked his tail off and will most likely end up in Europe and have a long career.
Bho
Bho

Favorite NFL team: : Who Dey

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Blue Nation Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Good Luck Jorts!!!!! cheers
Big Blue Nation
Big Blue Nation

Back to top Go down

Post  cryptkeeper Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:41 pm

Josh will be playing more time in the NBA than Orton
cryptkeeper
cryptkeeper

Favorite NFL team: : COLTS-until manning leaves

Back to top Go down

Post  UK Maine-Iac Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:35 am

Glad to hear this. Josh works hard and this is a good reward.
UK Maine-Iac
UK Maine-Iac

Favorite College team: : Who do you think?
Favorite NFL team: : Saints

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down