BIG BLUE NATION

UK's Poole pushing for playing time

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:47 am

LEXINGTON — Stacey Poole is waiting his turn.

Poole’s playing time has been limited this season playing behind Brandon Knight and Doron Lamb, but the freshman guard is garnering plenty of experience playing behind his two freshman classmates.

“It makes me better going up against those guys every day,” Poole said following the Wildcats’ 78-54 win over Auburn earlier this week at Rupp Arena. “In practice we just go hard against each other.”

Since the season began, Poole said his work ethic has changed and has gotten better at “being a hard worker.” Poole, a former standout at Providence High School in Jacksonville, Florida, is the son of former Florida standout Stacey Poole, Sr., the Gators’ fourth all-time leading scorer. He hopes his hard work will lead to more minutes as the season progresses. He scored a career-high three points in the team’s 72-58 triumph over Louisville on Dec. 8 at Freedom Hall in Louisville.

“I’ve just been trying to be a hard working and trying to get what I want,” he said. “I want to get out there on the floor and right now I’m not, but that’s the reason I’m working hard is so I can get on the floor with the guys.”

In order to reach his goal, Poole is putting in extra work in order to garner more playing time.
“I’m in the gym with coach (John Calipari),” he said. “We work out every day and I’m just trying to get after it.”

As for the rest of his teammates, Poole wasn’t surprised by Terrence Jones’ performance over the Tigers. Jones scored 35 points, breaking the single-game scoring mark by a freshman set by Doron Lamb in Kentucky’s 89-52 win over Winthrop on Dec.. 22 at Rupp Arena.
“I knew he could do it,” he said.

Poole played four minutes in Kentucky’s last outing and was glad the Cats recovered from a “tough loss” against Georgia last weekend.

“We should have won it, but we ended up losing it,” he said of the narrow setback to the Bulldogs. “We bounced back and got the win.”

Although a visit to Florida on Feb. 5 ranks high on his calendar, Poole is looking forward to the rest of the Southeastern Conference schedule.

“We have a big chance to do something here,” he said. “We have a chance to win the SEC and I just don’t see nobody beating us in the SEC. We lost to Georgia, but when we play them in our home, I know we’re going to get them. I’m looking forward to that game. I don’t like losing.”
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

http://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: UK's Poole pushing for playing time

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:50 am

I would like to see Poole play some more, The kid could shoot in high school. I think if he plays a lil more it could help on the road when we have guys in foul trouble and would make him feel more comfortable on the court.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

http://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top